Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG, what faults to look for ?  (Read 13662 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
DSG, what faults to look for ?
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:34 pm »
As title, been reading a few things about DSG boxes recently and just wondered what issues people have had ?, and what to look for if a problem appears to be developing, there's nothing wrong with mine it's just more a query :-)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: DSG, what faults to look for ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:21:38 pm »
When you google it, some say it's a certain age range that is affected (2007 models?) Others say all are affected.

Only thing i've noticed with my DSG is it's occasionally a little lazy to come out of first gear when I first start the car up to drive off, oh and sometimes when approaching a roundabout or stopping at lights i'll hear a 'clunk' just before I come to a stop - that's apparantly the clutch dis-engaging at the last minute so as not to stall - apparantly...

It's the mechtronics unit that appears to be the failing part, basically the ECU part of the box itself.

Offline bobsey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:50:35 pm »
Mine make's the same 'clunk' noise when engaging first gear from second. I dont know if thats normal or not though.

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:35:46 pm »
dont be so parinoid shaun!!!

Im sure by now on yours, that most Mechatronics issues have been ironed out now.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:49:44 pm »
dont be so parinoid shaun!!!

Im sure by now on yours, that most Mechatronics issues have been ironed out now.

im not sure thats true though, before i bought mine i wanted to test drive one and Arthur prince VW in loughborough had a 2010 R in white, i rang up to test drive it and they said it was off the road as they were waiting for a new mechatronics box  :confused:

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:51:12 pm »
Some things never change  :signLOL: :signLOL:

You have 3 years warranty shaun, i really wouldnt worry!

Only worry if you havent got any warranty,................................... wait a  minute!!.......... i havent  :scared: :scared: :scared:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:53:01 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:18:07 pm »
Some things never change  :signLOL: :signLOL:

You have 3 years warranty shaun, i really wouldnt worry!

Only worry if you havent got any warranty,................................... wait a  minute!!.......... i havent  :scared: :scared: :scared:

oh yes i know, i just like to know what to look for  :happy2:

Nasir

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:26:36 pm »
Jerky gear changes, jerky set off from 1st gear. Gear symbols flashing on the highline. Hope that helps :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:32:20 pm »
^^^ It's very rare for the highline to flash for the "normal" mechatronics faults from everything I have read.

From experience (of two different DSG cars with mechantronics faults) reverse gear is the first one to go and then 1st - 2nd will start to play up next.

It will also be worse then you spend a lot of time in traffic if the mechantronics is on it's way out.

I now do a DSG basic settings reset after each service on the Mk6 and it has kept it as smooth as the day I got it  :happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:34:01 pm »
^^^ It's very rare for the highline to flash for the "normal" mechatronics faults from everything I have read.

From experience (of two different DSG cars with mechantronics faults) reverse gear is the first one to go and then 1st - 2nd will start to play up next.

It will also be worse then you spend a lot of time in traffic if the mechantronics is on it's way out.

I now do a DSG basic settings reset after each service on the Mk6 and it has kept it as smooth as the day I got it  :happy2:

And how do you do this  :laugh:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 08:50:42 am »
That DSG basic reset I did myself made my car much better after the stealers had replaced the mechatronic but hadn't done the above.
Trust them to anything right? :indifferent:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:54:20 am »
It looks complicated, is it as bad as it looks ?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:21:10 pm by 182_blue »

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 01:51:33 pm »
oh oh, the change on mine between 1st and 2nd is a bit crap compared to other gears, reverse is ok, hop a big repair bill isnt on the way  :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:19:37 pm »
I used to find 1st/reverse gears 'clunky' on startup but now I don't select any gear before the engine has gone through its initial warm-up period and the result is no clunks whatsoever. My conclusion is that you get a 'clunk' either while the DSG oil is still cold or until the engine revs have settled.

I have a Revo remapped DSG and don't know how a 'Ross reset' might effect it. Looks tedious to do anyway unless, like SteveP, you are used to such things.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!