Make a donation

Author Topic: what oil to use in gti on T&D service  (Read 1613 times)

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
what oil to use in gti on T&D service
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:36:10 pm »
as the title says guys, my oil is running low, and i no its on T&D service intervals so what should i put in is 5-30?? and any brands that people prefer??

thanks
tom

MK6 Golf R DSG 2012 - FOR SALE - £20,000 - pm for info

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: what oil to use in gti on T&D service
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:49 pm »
The search button is your friend.  :wink:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »
Search and ye shall find the threads of knowledge :innocent:

VW instruct that the same spec of oil is used regardless of T&D or Longlife regime.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17261.0.html
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »
i tryed the search button but i couldnt find anything that answerd my question, and that post didnt realy help, all it said was that it should be long life all the time, which is fine, but im not paying 50 quid for the stuff, when i can get normal oil from halfords or whereever for alot cheeper, and so long as its changed regualy and kept topped up does the same job, so is it ment to be 5w-40 or 5w-30??
thanks
tom

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:12:39 pm »
i tryed the search button but i couldnt find anything that answerd my question, and that post didnt realy help, all it said was that it should be long life all the time, which is fine, but im not paying 50 quid for the stuff, when i can get normal oil from halfords or whereever for alot cheeper, and so long as its changed regualy and kept topped up does the same job, so is it ment to be 5w-40 or 5w-30??
thanks
tom

LOL, why bother asking peoples opinions then ?, just put your cheap halfords stuff in and hope for the best  :happy2:

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:33:54 pm »
im not saying that atall and obviously its not cheep stuff from halfords, i just belive that as with most things some after market products can do a better job for less cost than the stuff vw recomends that you use, after all they want to sell there products and by them saying its there only recomended product there doing a very good job of selling it.

all i want to no is wat viscosty stuff to put into the car, weather its longlife or normal or watever, and i havnt found a thread on here that answers that question.

wat grade is the longlife stuff from vw??

and iv just had my car serviceed and i had it taken of longlife but i dont no what grade he would of put in and i need to top it up, thats all i need to no if anyone can help please

thanks
tom

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:02 pm »
You need a 5W-30 fully synthetic oil that meets VW504.00 and VW 507.00 specifications, I'd certainly do a bit of reading around before buying any run of the mill 5W-30 oil, the TFSI engines are very complicated and if you'd have read about the temperamental inlet valves you'll see why many people on the forum don't skimp on oil, the valves are very susceptible to carbon deposits and by using a high end oil your less likely to influence the process of build up.

Personally I wouldn't use anything less than Castrol Edge 5W-30 due to the reports TT has shared on the forum in the past and for what it costs it can be brought at the same price as the nasty Halfords stuff if not cheeper with the right discount codes.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:24:36 pm »
If you don't want to pay £50 for the recommended specification of oil, I don't see why it will matter what the viscosity rating of the oil you use will be. After all, oil is cheaper than engine rebuilds. There's a lot more to the properties of oils other than viscosity.

If you aren't going to use oil to spec VW504.00 and 507.00 then you may as well use any old stuff. Only those specifications are for use in these engines. Other oils of the same viscosity rating don't necessarily meet those standards.

You pays yer money & takes yer chances.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 07:42:10 pm »
If you go to the stealers and get the Quantum oil its pretty cheap and is simply rebranded castrol  :happy2:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 08:52:42 pm »
As above, go for Quantum longlife 3, and change it every 10k miles / 6-12 months.

Offline gti265

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:00:17 pm »
thanku everyone thats exsactly what i wanted to no :), i no it has to meet those standards, but i new other oils other than vw branded stuff met it.

thanku all again :)
tom