Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Polo's ?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Anyone know anything about Polo's ?
« on: July 27, 2010, 04:54:05 pm »
Sorry guys, I know it'a not a MK5 based question, but my wife has a 2006 Polo 1.4 FSI Sport, which I guess is the same (or very similar) engine to that fitted to the 1.4 and 1.6 Golf's ?

Anyway, she's had it from new, and although 4 years old, it's only done 25,000 miles. It's recently developed a really annoying habit of everytime you some to a standstill and dip the clutch (say for instance at a set of lights), the engine revs drop too far and it cuts out. It will re-start immediately, but again, without assistance from the throttle pedal, it will die again straight away. When it's moving, it works like a dream, smooth, pulls strongly right through the rev range. It's just this bloody stalling issue !

Unfortunately my Ross Tech VCDS cable is only for CAN based cars, so I can't see if there are any fault codes showing.

I've done a little reading, and it seems that the throttle bodies are prone to coking up with carbon deposits and this apparently causes issues with the idle speed control system ? A few people have reported stripping the throttle bodies and cleaning them, then doing a Throttle body re-set in VCDS (which I obviously can't do) solves the problem ?

Does any of the above sound familar, and does the above suggestion sound plausible. Don't really want to go to a stealer unless I really have to as the car is now out of warranty, and wil no doubt be raped !

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Anyone know anything about Polo's ?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »
Whereabouts are you based as I'm sure another member with a hex-can cable could be close by...
Without traction power is nothing!

Nasir

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:42 pm »
I have the same engine, never had this issue but carbon deposits can happen but 25,000 miles seems too low for that. Is it mainly town driving that she does? What fuel have you been putting in? (it needs super to run nicely) Take it out on a long drive if it only does town driving as this makes a difference on mine.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »
Cheers Guys for the replies.

For the first 2 1/2 years of it's life, it did only do short distances, but over the last 18 months or so, the wife changed jobs and now has a 16 mile trip there and 16 miles back everyday, a mixture of A roads and dual carraigeway.

She does however run it on Asda standard unleaded (and has done since the day she bought it)  :scared:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 06:54:50 pm »
Well it's not a big big issue but normal supermarket stuff is sh*te, put in normal shell unleaded rather than that. Get it scanned and see what it says.