Make a donation

Author Topic: Miglior Detailing Ltd: Matt Black Beast - Greeners aka Nathan's Car!  (Read 18081 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111

Hi guys, thanks for checking out another write up of mine.

This time, we have another Golf Edition 30, but this one is rather a special one! Its our very own "greener's" car aka Nathan. It has a Matt black vinyl wrap and is a true show car. It only comes out for shows and the odd trip to the Nurburgring. Other than that, it’s garaged. It is Naths pride and joy.
Nath had the car wrapped matt black with the idea it would be easier to maintain than the original paint work. That worked out a little different in reality. With a matt finish, it picked up marks very easily. Finger prints, water marks and light scuffs really took away from the finish. It holds water like a sponge too and dries with nasty marks.
So, Nath brought the car us to be protected or waxes. Now, it’s a bit of a tricky one, waxing a car without making it shiny. So, we used Swissvax Opaque wax that has been specifically developed to not change the appearance in matt paintwork.

Here is the car on arrival.

Straight on with a full wash procedure. All arches, wheels, tyres, bodywork, door shuts, grills cleaned in the usual manner.

The car was then brought into the unit.

The car was full of oily marks and splashes

The vinyl was then cleaned with Swissvax Pre-Cleaner Opaque.

And wiped

This helped a lot to get rid of the oily marks on the car that were so easily picked up. Any traces of tyre shine on the bodywork were easily taken care of with the pre-cleaner.

After the Pre-cleaner was used, we removed the red vinyl on the front splitter on request of Nath.

Now it’s time for some wax.

Here you can see a waxed area before buffing off.

Don’t worry, that will calm down a lot after buffing. After the wax cured and the residue was removed, I went around the whole car again 3 hours later which smoothed out the finish again.

Test section of wax curing

I decided to do a 50/50 on the bonnet

Wax curing

When buffed off, the wax left a very subtle change in depth in the film. Bear in mind, this was before the 3 hour period where I went around the whole car again buffing. Nath loved the subtle added depth in the vinyl.

Below is another shot of how the wax levelled out the film, making a much more uniform finish. Something which is hard to achieve on a matt surface. Underneath the bump strip has yet to be treated.

Another huge advantage of protecting a matt finish like this is it will be far more capable of repelling water. Matt finishes normally cling onto a silly amount of water. Below is a small splash on the paint.

This will stay like that for about 15 minutes until it develops to a dry stain. Not just a water mark, it really almost stains the finish!

Once the surface is treated, it repels water like it should do!

Beading and a Matt finish are not something you'd normally see in the same sentence!

Once the whole car was waxed, which took a LONG time due to the matt finish; I completed all the finishing items. The exhaust was cleaned with Swissvax metal polish. The wheels were waxed with Swissvax autobahn after being polished with Cleaner fluid. Tyres dressed with Pneu. Arches dress with 303. Any shiny areas (a few are still there!) were waxed with Best of Show.

350+ Horses wanting to play!

Total work time: 9 Hours! It sounds a lot, but the waxing stage in a finish like this is unreal, if you are going to do a proper job!

Thanks for reading guys!

Swissvax Detailer: Covering Manchester, Lancashire and North West

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:18:31 pm by Greeners »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Miglior Detailing Ltd: Matt Black Beast - Greeners aka Nathan's Car!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:31:55 pm »
Thanks again Jay, fantastic job that has made the investment in the vinyl worth while as you know I wasn't 100% happy with it!  :congrats:

And for anyone else wondering whether to take the car to Jay or not I can wholeheartedly recommend his work 100%! He is so fastidious and in some ways very methodical in the way he works which is very admiral! Oh and he also must have lost half a stone applying this wax!  :grin:

Thanks Jay!  :drinking:

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:35:49 pm »
Great write up Jay. The car looks fantastic. Amazing the amount of detail going to keep a car not looking shiny! Car looks amazing Nathan!

Shame you are up north Jay, otherwise I would be paying you a visit!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:36:37 pm »
car looked miles better at combe and was attracting loads of attention  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:45:55 pm »
glad you liked it nath!

Its all still a bit experimental this waxing a matt car but its well worth it! hopefully this will go to prove you can protect a matt finish without making it shiny. The level of water repellency was incredible, even for me who sees it every day. I think due to the increased surface area of the finish (due to the rough surface) its more like a lotus leaf now!

For anyone who is interested, the surface of a lotus leaf is incredibly rough microscopically. Meaning water hardly touches the leaf, it just rolls off!

Saint Steve

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »
Great work Jay. As theo said, you'd have far more Customers if you were further south im sure :smiley:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »
Great work Jay. As theo said, you'd have far more Customers if you were further south im sure :smiley:

Maybe, preston and manchester are not too far away so doing ok for now! i wish i could do something for the guys who want the service down south though. Maybe a 2 week tour with me and my trailer doing 1 day enhancements!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:08:06 pm »
Awesome as always Jay :happy2:

Maybe a 2 week tour with me and my trailer doing 1 day enhancements!

Now that is a cracking idea  :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 07:57:43 pm »
Awesome as always Jay :happy2:

Maybe a 2 week tour with me and my trailer doing 1 day enhancements!

Now that is a cracking idea  :happy2:

What he said.  :happy2:

I saw Nathans car on Satdee and I have to say compared to Inters it looked a whole lot better.
I guess some will call this a marmite mod, not my cup of tea personally but I can appreciate it and the work involved.  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
Fantastically awesome. I had wondered why the lip was red after I had seen a black one.

Jay, one day, I must come up and make a visit. Do you let people watch whilst you work?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 08:45:59 pm »
Ahh it is yours Nathan, just seen it on DW, looks very  :happy2:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:49:52 pm »
I wouldn't want to drive it home for fear of ruining the absolutely stunning look. I bet that's a serious head turner!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:21:30 pm »
Amazing :happy2:
is the wrap a long term thing? seen a blue r32 that had been fully wrapped to look white then they took it off with some of the paint, this was an online post so dont know if the owner used the proper method in removing it.
Jay - so you gave his car a hand job :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:10 pm »
looks so much better without the red lip up front  :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:40 pm »
Its hard to tell the difference from the pics with mat, but i am sure it looks great. keep it looking spanking so i can have a proper blimp at Tatton.  :happy2:

And in true Robin stylee i also think it looks a lot more classy with the black splitter.  :happy2: