Make a donation

Author Topic: Getting alloys sorted under warranty  (Read 9712 times)

Offline MAW73

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Getting alloys sorted under warranty
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 09:47:25 pm »
VW called this afternoon to say that they won't replace the remaining wheels, as 'the corrosion could have been caused by force applied to the wheelnuts'. (Hmm, despite this being a foreseeable situation for wheels, then?). They said that it was the dealer's decision, and although in their view, if the dealer was changing the 2 unkerbed wheels for corrosion away from the rim (which they are), they should be changing all 4. But they can't tell the dealer to do that (oh, really?). And that wheels aren't a VW warranty item.

Kinda (actually hugely) annoyed. Will have to visit the dealer again to have a full & frank conversation about this.

Sounds like their taking the pee to be honest.... that's really poor. What were you supposed to do drive with loose bolts? I would try another dealer and if all else fails get angry with them.
2009 Mk6 Golf GTI / 5 Door / DSG / Candy White / Monza Shadow Alloys / Titan Black Leather / Electric Sunroof / Winter Pack / Luxury Pack / 6 Disc Autochanger / RNS510 / Rear Parking Sensors

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 01:25:04 pm »
The wheels were replaced under warranty on my car a week before i had it so its all down to finding a helpfull dealer :happy2:

Or send our misses in and get her talking about white worm. Bamboozled my local dealer and got all 4 replaced just before the warranty ran out after I had tried and failed.  :signLOL:
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline james550213

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 07:21:34 pm »
all 4 of my wheels were corroded around the center caps and they tried to tell me kerbing had caused it (how you can kerb a wheel around all 4 center caps I don't know!), then it was the wheel cleaner that I was using, at which I told them I had bought it from my local dealer.  In the end after nearly 9 months, lots of phone calls, lots of emails, lots of letters and help fom the local dealership got them sorted for me!!!

VW UK are rubbish to be kind.

2 weeks after getting the new ones on my wife felt and bang when parking on a side street, got out and saw a bolt sticking out from the kerb stone (looked like a bad repair from council!!), so took photo's and got a claim going through at council insurance now!!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 02:06:54 pm »
Update: Visited F Cross & Son VW in Grimsby this morning. They took a look at the wheels and within 2 hours had phoned me to say all 4 are to be changed under warranty. A bit different from JCT 600's warranty managers attitude. So they are swapping the wheels out on 7 September, and will get all my custom from now on.

Interestingly, they explained that if the corrosion isn't related to kerbing, there's no problem regards warranty. Also, wheels in year 1 or 2 are swapped for new. In year 3 they are swapped for refurbished ones. As if I care. Just happy it's sorted.

Well done F Cross Grimsby
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »
Cool ! just what you want when things arent right ,top dealer who has just gained a customer

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 06:13:29 pm »
Definately. It took them about 2 minutes of looking at them, then just a wait until the warranty manager arrived. Brilliant. But what I really like is the full length glass wall into the workshop, so you can watch your car being worked on. Nice :wink:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »
I've had a bit of a result too.   Having given up on Solihull VW, I rang and spoke to a very helpful chap called Henry at Listers of Stratford upon Avon who asked me to pop down straight away.  I was dealt with the second I walked through their door and given a nice cuppa tea whilst the car was taken into the pristine workshop for an inspection.  Within minutes Henry reappeared to advise that they would be happy to replace the O/S/F wheel and all four centre caps, no questions asked and immediately ordered the parts.  I also asked them to check out a few rattles and squeaks under warrranty which would be no problem whatsoever.  Solihull VW wanted to charge me £85 an hour plus VAT for labour to look at the squeaks and rattles insisting it was not a problem that could be dealt with under warranty.  Looks like Listers will be getting my trade from now on.  You were right markymark!  :happy2:

Henry also pointed out that the Monza IIs on my near-side do not match the Monza IIs on my off-side which I hadn't noticed before so it looks like the car has had replacement wheels before.
Is anyone aware of this as I've made the assumption they're all OEM?  I'll get some photos up in a bit... 

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »
I meant to say is anyone aware of there being two different variants of OEM Monza IIs and not is anyone aware that my car has seemingly had replacement wheels before!  :stupid:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 06:53:21 pm »
BBS and Ronal are the two variants, I think, JJ. Why not ask the helpful chaps at Listers to look at the warranty claim history VW has on your car. that should show up if there were any previous claims.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 10:27:49 pm »
Having given up on Solihull VW, I rang and spoke to a very helpful chap called Henry at Listers of Stratford upon Avon
Very interesting. I bought my car from Solihull VW and have used them for servicing etc. Never had any major problems with them.

I know Greeners uses them too.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »
Having given up on Solihull VW, I rang and spoke to a very helpful chap called Henry at Listers of Stratford upon Avon
Very interesting. I bought my car from Solihull VW and have used them for servicing etc. Never had any major problems with them.

I know Greeners uses them too.

I've been using them for the last 8 years stealthwolf and apart from one issue they have usually seen me right.  I was just left with a much better impression of the other dealership following the enquiries I made with Solihull VW last week.  Path of least resistance and all that!   

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 11:03:27 pm »
Fair enough. Did you ever go to VW Birmingham?

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 11:11:11 pm »
Fair enough. Did you ever go to VW Birmingham?

I didn't mate because the Warranty Manager for Solihull and Birmingham is the same chap.  If Solihull need any warranty stuff looking at they just give him a buzz and he pops over.
I've only used Birmingham for parts as I'm often over the road at Crown Records.

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »
BBS and Ronal are the two variants, I think, JJ. Why not ask the helpful chaps at Listers to look at the warranty claim history VW has on your car. that should show up if there were any previous claims.

Oops, forgot to thank you for that Lou.  Good idea.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 11:32:51 pm »
I didn't mate because the Warranty Manager for Solihull and Birmingham is the same chap.  If Solihull need any warranty stuff looking at they just give him a buzz and he pops over.
Didn't know that! Thanks for the info.