Make a donation

Author Topic: Is BT Infinity any good?  (Read 12204 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Is BT Infinity any good?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 09:12:48 pm »
I wish I was getting some of the speeds you lot are. Ive just done a test and it came back with 0.15mb/s Download and 0.30mb/s Upload!!

Living in the countryside has it's disadvantages :sad1:

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 09:16:18 pm »
Indeed..... I registered back in January and still haven't heard a peep. They're stretching the definition of "mid-2010" a bit now as well  :signLOL:

'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 09:19:32 pm »
I am guessing the problem is BT's FTTC rollout.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 09:25:50 pm »
I know my exchange is ready, so any day now I'll be getting a letter off Sky offering me 100MB..   hmmm..  I won't be holding my breath!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 09:33:07 pm »
Look for a new BT cabinet at the end of your road.  :smiley:

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:25 pm »
Last I heard Sky were still haggling over various points on getting access to BTs FTTC network. I doubt there will be a commercial service or even any substantial trial, from Sky anytime soon. There are various issues about control, cost and how voice services are provided on FTTC lines.
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 10:05:01 pm »
So is that Sky buying a white labeled product from BT or do they route it back to their switches. :smiley:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 10:45:56 pm »
Last I heard Sky were still haggling over various points on getting access to BTs FTTC network. I doubt there will be a commercial service or even any substantial trial, from Sky anytime soon. There are various issues about control, cost and how voice services are provided on FTTC lines.

The fastest at the mo is Virgin, BT were and are late to market again, theres no specific rollout for the exchanges to get fibre cabinets its just where they feel like. If your lucky to move into a newly built house  that will get a new fibre cabinet then you will get fibre direct to your door, the cabinets look good something i think virgin could do with but and I think that you will see sky and virgin all donig deals to allow network sharing its the only cost effective option. currently virgin are rolling out 50mb > 10< which will be good and theres already areas in england with 100mb.

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 10:57:37 pm »
Put it this way, it's not a white-label product (that's what Sky Connect is, and that's why it's so expensive and so poor in comparison to the Sky LLU products - Sky spend as little money with BT for Connect customers as they can get away with so it's throttled and traffic-managed to within an inch of it's life but it does mean they can offer a broadband package in any ADSL-enabled exchange)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 08:28:08 am »
Its not like you need those speeds for general browsing, my 50MB service only really gets maximum use when downloading something particular  :wink:, other than that its not my connection which is the bottleneck.  Some sites are better than others, e.g. MS I can get 2.5MB/sec, some I might only see 400-500KB/sec.  Most I remember seeing was 4MB/sec

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 06:36:18 pm »
Just did a speed check earlier based on my 50mb BT Infinity.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:38:58 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 08:51:58 pm »
Its not like you need those speeds for general browsing, my 50MB service only really gets maximum use when downloading something particular  :wink:, other than that its not my connection which is the bottleneck.  Some sites are better than others, e.g. MS I can get 2.5MB/sec, some I might only see 400-500KB/sec.  Most I remember seeing was 4MB/sec

Will make a difference when you factor in contention ratio of up to 50 people sharing at peak.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:39 am »

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 04:15:54 am »
I've got BT Infinity, simply because i wanted a high speed conection and they were the only one in my area that could offer me one. Where my house is positioned i am not able to get Sky t.v and virgin don't have there cable service here either, so i wanted a high speed conection for streaming and downloading.

While it is fast and i have no complaints over the speed of it i wouldn't recommend B.T to anyone. There customer service and general service is terrible, took over a month from the fibre optic connection being installed into the house for it to be up and working. I still have no proper working phone line after 6 months, mainly because i have given up with them and i don't have faith in them coming out to fix it and not messing something else up. The reason it doesn't work now is because the engineer that came out last time to fix the broadband messed it up, he did fix the broadband though!

It has also dropped out a few times, no more than anyother broadband service i have had though. Probably the least amount of times out of all the service providers i have had.

If i had the choice out of anyone i would go with Virgin, even with this new super fast sky package on the way. Sky are just as bad as B.T if not worse with there customer service!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 12:09:31 pm »
I moved to BT infinity 2 last month after 10years with virgin. No problem is connection or installations, I went for business infinity which has no contention unlike home at 20-1.

Can't fault it 67Down, 20 up.