Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 wanna be owner  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Jess

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Mk5 wanna be owner
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:19:46 pm »
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1962726.htm

Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post, and I wanted to say hello. :drinking:

I'm going to see this car tomorrow. I've never had a golf before, so please can you help me with what to look out for when viewing to ensure its a good 'un.

Also, I  have seen some golfs with the Monza 2 18" wheels that have a dark inner edges on the wheels and others that look identical don't, why is this?

Any comments on the spec etc would be appreciated too. I typically only keep a car for between 6 months and a year, so want to buy the right spec also. This one doesn't have leather, but my partner prefers cloth seats..

The owner says that it has only had one service in 2009 and the next isnt due till 2011. Are there any big bills that I should know about at that time?

Any advice, tips would be very welcome.  :notworthy:

If all goes well then I hope to pick it up next week.

Thanks,

J.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:26:37 pm by Jess »

Offline Ands GTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Mk5 wanna be owner
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:00:16 pm »
Hey Welcome!  :happy2:

The 18" Monza II wheels had the darker inserts. The 17" Monzas's where just the plain silver finish.

As for bills the only thing you may need is the Cambelt & water pump service at 4 years old and DSG service is at 40k but maybe sooner depending on age. Some of the DSG guys can clarify that.

Sounds like its on long life servicing. Best to switch to 12 month time & distance servicing if you get it. Cloth seats are better, more of a retro feel  :grin:

Good Luck with the purchase!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:10:28 pm by Ands GTi »
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:11 pm »
Good luck, one point what interior has it got as it doesn't say, is it leather or cloth?

And welcome by the way... :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:38:03 pm by Moschops »
Cheers,

Wayne

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »
It has non genuine rear lights and retrofit Rns510.(aerial on roof is for Standard Rcd radio is the clue)

It has window tinted film in the rear window.

Id try and knock him for a few quid personally, as genuine lights are around £200.

Pay close attention to the mileage closely with receipts, and also run the reg number on a VW dealership computer to see if its had ANY service work done.

Good spec other then that and its a Superb Motor :happy2:

Have you looked at any other Mk5's GTi's to compare it to??

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:50:07 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:57:23 pm »
That has aftermarket rear lights so just double check everything i.e paperwork... services

Seems very low mileage...
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Jess

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
Thanks guys:)

Yes the mileage does seem very low..

I guess it is possible to clock mileage of the car if you havent serviced it for 2 years, then sell on as low mileage after the 1st service stamp.

I guess though, at that mileage, the car should still look brand new ?

Is there any way to check from the keys (plugged in to some device at the VW dealer) if the mileage is correct?

He said that he is the 1st owner, so unless its been in an accident he should have the original lights (thanks for spotting this)

Also, thanks for the steer on the Sat Nav ariel inconsistancy.

He said he has also had the lower bits painted all round.

It is starting to sound a bit sus...  Maybe he just likes the blacked out look. I normally do, but this looks very pimpy (maybe the tints are too dark)

I haven't seen any other Golfs to compare..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:11:05 pm by Jess »

Offline Becca88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
Dont be fooled with not needing a service til 2011, thats what i thought when i bought my ED30, turned out because i do short journeys and previous keeper did very long journeys the car decided to flash up early for a service ... over a year early, wasnt amused lol. I am on my phone right now so cant view the link, whats the registration number? I work for Audi who run the same system as VW so i could check service history for you and hopefully factory specification

Offline Jess

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:09:58 pm »
Hey thanks !

The reg number is BJ57 EUA

Also does anyone know what kind of money, a major service, DSG oil etc would cost?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:16:15 pm by Jess »

Saint Steve

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »
To me, if hes got these rear lights, tints, and other bodywork mods, if it was me, if id had this car for 2 years, and only done such a small amount of mileage, and left it sat on my drive, id be out enjoying it, and putting at least near average mileage a year. It looks like its a relatively Young owner aswell.Those lights are shall we say "a Personal choice". R32 or Ed30 rear clusters are much more OEM look rather then very "Ebay" look.

It is possible to mess with the mileage on VCDS or Vag-com, so yes best check service history with your local dealer as they can check any warranty or service work on its Nationwide database.

Although look closely at the steering wheel for signs of wear, Seat Bolsters aswell, Heavy wear marks on the Pedals, and around door handles for signs of Nail (finger marks).

It does sound abit suss, for mods done and such little useage if hes the only keeper.

check Vin numbers and Reg plate for the obvious cloan'd car or Vin number under the bonnet being tampered with.

Just do you homework :wink:

Perhaps look at some others as there are lots out there for 15k, even a good spec Ed30 can be brought for same money your prepared to shell.

Its a Great car. You wont be disapointed.   :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:23:50 pm by Saint Steve »

Nasir

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum. A few ways to tell if the car has been clocked back:

1) Wear on the key fob, the unlock button and lock button will lose their colour a litttle bit and start to shine after a while. These should look new at 12k miles

2) As Saint Steve the bolsters can wear and 'crease' but again at that mileage they should look new (on cloth seats anyway, leathers a different story)

3) Tyres, this is the most important factor. Check what tyres it came from the factory, the backs should definitely be on the originals and fronts on worn originals or new ones which the owner put on, ask to see a receipt of the tyre change so you can work out around what mileage they were changed. Unless there Pirellis they shouldn't be have been changed too early unless there was a puncture (let the owner mention that so you don't give him an excuse).

Offline skifast

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:21:09 pm »

if this car has no warranty left make sure service record is correct , just in case A B S problem crops up.

this will be key to getting good result from VW

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:50 am »
The common issues as mentioned in the previous post, are Teves Mk60 ABS unit failure, and Aircon compressor failure. VW will be very accomodating regards cost as long as you have a full service record, and the car is less than 5 years old.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:29 am »
Be aware of the legality of the front windows being tinted as well.

And if the Wheels are 18s but don't have the dark inserts then they're probably copies rather than OEM BBS ones.

Offline Becca88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 09:29:00 am »
oops... i just sent you a PM and then noticed you cant read PM's yet   :fighting2:
Do you have an email address for me to forward all the details I have gathered on this vehicle?

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:20 am »
As a lot have said do the homework.  Also be aware that the DSG Mechatronics unit (do a search on this forum and other VW) can be temperamental.

The DSG box is a great unit, but the mechatronics unit can be its Achilles heel.  Quite a few on here have been unlucky and have required replacement at least once, or even twice whilst in warranty. 

Can you check its warranty work history with VW?