Make a donation

Author Topic: Twintercooler and boost  (Read 2685 times)

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
Twintercooler and boost
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »
Having now run the Twintercooler for almost a month (and having fitted a Miltek Race Cat at the same time) i have a problem.

Acceleration feels flatter. Even the guys who fitted it thought it felt like it had less oomph which they suggested may be lag?

It could be many things of course, it's quieter for a start, which could be the air getting out quicker through the new cat and could make it 'feel' slower -  but it really done seem to have lost a lot of the urgency it had flipping up through the gears before these mods.

Anyone have any ideas about the Twintercooler causing lag, or even the extra weight of the thing?

Thanks

Al
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Twintercooler and boost
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:35:20 pm »
You wouldn't even feel any extra lag that a Twintercooler would give. Maybe an incorrectly fitted/sealed pipe?
Golf R gone.

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »
OK

I just wished i had measured performance b4hand

Could be smoother now with less back pressure so maybe no different just calmer....
Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:41:52 pm »
what's the difference between the Race Cat vs Sports Cat?

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »
Nothing - just different terminology

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »
I have fitted lots of twintercooler kits and never suffered any lag or loss of boost, we usually log a car before and after also, just to be sure. Log your requested and actual boost pressures on VAGCOM (block 115) and this should give an indication of an lag or boost loss.

The same goes for the downpipe.  :happy2:

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 09:03:32 pm »
If i knew how, i would....

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:12:29 pm »
My bet is that the rubber O rings from the original couplers weren't transferred over to the forge ones.

That being said, you really need to log your requested and actual boost pressures like PDT has suggested.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:35:32 pm »
check the seals etc 550 on hardware shouldnt make your car run worse ....

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »
Would you not need to get the map tweaked, now you have the extra hardware.  :happy2:

My guess would be a slight boost leak somewhere, when i had mine fitted, the car was instantly more responsive.  :happy2: But i also blew a pipe off a day after fitting.  :smiley:

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:53:42 pm »
I'll ask the mechanics about the couplers, have a gander at the connections and ask Superchips about tweaking St2 remap

Thanks for all the advice - I'll post what happens.

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:19:26 pm »
Thanks to Dominic at Superchips just downloading new file now - will keep you updated - fingers crossed i get my oomph back!

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:16:09 pm »
 :grin:

that's all that need saying really.

beep beep