Make a donation

Author Topic: Can you change the oil without needing to go under the car?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Can you change the oil without needing to go under the car?
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:16:16 pm »
Hey folks,

Finding it increasingly frustrating, that I need to change the oil & filter on my GTI, but I do not have a flat driveway, to jack the car up on etc

Anyway, I own a Pela 6000 which is one of those oil extractors which you slide into the dipstick pipe, and pump the oil out of the car, into the pela itself.

It worked fantastic on my last car, an Ibiza Cupra TDI, but the oil filter on that car was at the top of the engine, so no need to go under the car.

What I wanted to know is, is it possible to change the oil filter on the GTI without going under the car? I highly doubt it, but just wondered...? Would be perfect if so... As I cannot trust any local garages and VW want £100 (!) to change the oil.

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Can you change the oil without needing to go under the car?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:30:01 pm »
You probably could but I'm no great fan of these devices to be honest.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:32:43 pm »
Totally appreciated mate - people do have views on them, some swear by them, others prefer to be traditional and drain properly.

Oddly though, some new cars are coming without sump drain plugs, and so have to be vacuumed out...

But the main problem with these engines, is I always thought the oil filter was right at the bottom of the engine facing down...Hence wondered if it was possible to undo and replace it from the top :)

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:33:32 pm »
The Smart never had a sump plug to the best of my knowledge so they are used for those at least.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:17:41 am »
I know some of the 'fast fit' centres like National Tyres, Kwik Fit etc offer a fixed price oil & filter change. Try asking them about using the correct VW spec of oil, you might get a cheaper way of changing than the stealer. Or get their quote & ask stealer to match it. VW price match is 'any like for like quote for maintainance, service or repair within 5 miles, using genuine vw parts'.
Worth a go :happy2:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »
I've not looked under the Golf yet to see where the sump plug is, but on previous cars i've fitted a tap like device for draining the oil myself... just open the tap, it flows out then close the tap, job done so to speak. Nice little device and saves people fcuking the thread on the sump !!
Ant

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »
Hiya :)

They do indeed, although have to say the only time i'd take my car anywhere near Kwik Fit or National, would be for tracking, even then at a push! It was £50 @ Kwik Fit using Mobil1 or £31 @ National using Edge, which is the right one, but I wouldn't trust them to do the job properly!

Good idea re dealer price match though - will try this... Although nothing beats the satisfaction of changing oil yourself!

So we all agreed on the fact you can change the oil filter from the TOP of the car? (Ie engine bay) without having to get underneath it?

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 06:39:34 pm »
1. You definately cant get to the sump plug without getting underneath.

2. You probably cant get to the oil filter housing without getting underneath and taking off the splash guard (unless you have arms like mr tickle).

There is no point doing an oil change without a filter change (in my opinion).

The Golf is one of the easiest cars I have worked upon much easier than Fordsand BMW's IMO.

The oil change is really easy but if you cant find a level surface forget it or risk being flat yourself. You must know someone who has a flat surface somewhere?

ECS do a great magnetic drain plug that you can fit once you have done the oil change too.

Personally I hate those suction oil change devices. Warm oil drained via gravity appears to pull out more crap.

Offline SeanyK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:01:37 pm »
Hiya,

Yeah I knew I couldn't get to the sump plug from above, but was going to use the drain tool, but that wouldn't help re; oil filter changing.

Agreed i'd never change oil without changing filter.

I've ordered the oil, I already have the filter, i'll be doing a fuel filter at the same time, and fitting the DV, so I guess I might as well drive round my friends on his flat drive to do it all!

Shame though... If only the oil filters were at the top of the engine bay :grouphug:

Offline bodger00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
  • A wish called Zonda
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 08:06:03 pm »
Good decision :happy2: :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »

Shame though... If only the oil filters were at the top of the engine bay :grouphug:

They are on the TSI's used on the Mk6 GTI's  :innocent: