Make a donation

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
What to do?
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:10:05 pm »
Hi, I havent been on here very much recently due to being extremely busy with bits and pieces.

Just looking for a few peoples opinions on my current situation. I was told by work that I will be getting a company vehicle. I will hopefully have it this week sometime. This leaves my car redundant in the week and also means I wont have to use it for lugging stuff around, meaning I can keep it for special!  :love:

Now what do I do. I have put a fair few miles on my car in the last year (although the car is still well below average milage for its age) and I have kinda fell out of love with it and want a change. But what to change to? I want something as good or better than my golf (obviously  :laugh:) What are my options being 18 insurance is the problem? Looking at the A3's but dont know how they compare? Anything else? I want it to look decent out of the box as I wont be messing with this one to much, maybe wheels and lowered.

Any ideas?
Cheers :happy2:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:45:00 pm »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 05:45:36 pm »
have you thought about a move away from vag.  (queue the abuse lol)  there are alot of cars out there for less money that would rinse the golf with absolutely no issues.  the golf is a good all rounder, ut if your only using it every now and then, you dont need an all rounder.

if you want a really quick car out the box then look at the renaults meganne R26, or maybe a mk1 focus RS, or mazda 3mps.  all are more powerful, and have a LSD as standard,  and will be great as a replacement.

the meganne wil be the best handling,  the focus RS marginally slower than the meganne, but with rock solid residuals, and the 3MPS has a mega power advantage and a good interior with ALOT of std equipment to shame all the other marques.

tuning wise,

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 06:37:50 pm »
Now I would like that Jules, but I think the insurance would be a bit much on a 3.2!!  :sad1:

Sorry I dont know if I mentioned that I'm 18 so insurance is a huge factor.  :happy2:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 06:42:29 pm »
Now I would like that Jules, but I think the insurance would be a bit much on a 3.2!!  :sad1:

Sorry I dont know if I mentioned that I'm 18 so insurance is a huge factor.  :happy2:

I did take that into account mate. Its shouldnt affect it too much as its not a high theft car, nor one that is crashed lots (compared to an R32 say) Its literally an R32 with a different exhaust for several thousand pound less!

Have a look at some quotes mate.

If not then

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1923103.htm

A remap and your away!

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:44:10 pm »
Try and think outside the box, then the insurance is usually lower (i.e. no type r's, saxo's, fiestas etc etc)

Fun cars and a map is the only difference between this and an S

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1986383.htm

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:48:43 pm by Jules86 »

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »
Cheers Jules  :happy2:

Just went on gocompare and for the 3.2 the cheapest was £5.6k with my dad and sis on it to!!!   :sad1:

Going to try the diesel now. Never really though about a mini. hmmmm......     

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:26:44 pm »
Cheers Jules  :happy2:

Just went on gocompare and for the 3.2 the cheapest was £5.6k with my dad and sis on it to!!!   :sad1:

Going to try the diesel now. Never really though about a mini. hmmmm......     

:scared:

Thats is high lol

Diesel is a nice option

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1902439.htm
http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1924035.htm

Random
http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1907095.htm

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:58:36 am »
Just use the company car and save your money for a year or 2 until you can get insured on the car you want. Unless you really need a car for the weekend?

If so keep the golf and save like mad. What i sthe current Golf you have?
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »
Could always look to get something like a sporty Clio and use it as a track car, would work good out the box, or a few suspension mods, maybe road legal track tyres and away you go for some fun
Ant

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »
Just use the company car and save your money for a year or 2 until you can get insured on the car you want. Unless you really need a car for the weekend?

If so keep the golf and save like mad. What i sthe current Golf you have?

Yeah thats an option, but I would like a little upgrade before I can get a big upgrade at 21.

I have the 1.6 fsi. (Which now I have my motorbike feels dead slow....) :sad1:

Could always look to get something like a sporty Clio and use it as a track car, would work good out the box, or a few suspension mods, maybe road legal track tyres and away you go for some fun

I have never been on a track tbh. I would like something with a bit more performance than my golf but it will still be a road car.

Really dont know what to do!  :confused:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 06:35:53 pm »
Been warming to the idea of the 2.0 TDI sline A3. They can be had for around 10k. What would be high milage on one would you say? Anyone owned one, opinions?

What sort of performace would you expect from a remapped one? (remember I have a 1.6!!  :laugh:)

jacko78

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 06:34:07 pm »
It would feel twice as fast as your current golf. I have the mk5 gttdi
And got it mapped and it's about 175-185 bhp and it's a belter and gives 57.5   
Mpg on a long run

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:30 pm »
when you said what to choose earlier i presumed you already had a GTI.  why dont you look into a polo GT or GTI