Make a donation

Author Topic: Forum member on the BBC?  (Read 8943 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Forum member on the BBC?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 04:22:42 pm »

Now I hate people speeding near schools and built up areas, but there is a time and place for speed

....Very much agreed. I rigidly stick to the 20/30/40 and even 50 limits whether a speed camera is present or not and regardless of an impatient driver behind me.

Again, at the entrance to German towns/villages the actual town name sign marks the beginning of the 35kmh limit and the name sign with diagonal red stripe denoting leaving the town, marks the end of that speed limit. It also neatly reduces all the street furniture you see in the UK - Many drivers can't cope with lots of signs.

German B-roads are immaculately surfaced, they have proper and continuous cycle lanes, I could go on! The UK is a joke. Germans build great cars too! :laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »
I too have similar opinions and experiences about the waste of the public resources on what are safe conditions (largely)....coming back from Manchester Airport to Glasgow m6 to M74.....it was a clear dry night, no one was excessively speeding...the road speed was circa 80mph....all respected each other and gave loads of space between cars.....except when a firkin dangerous m5 came up behind us at around 130!

Yep it was Dumfries and Galloways finest....they pulled the car in front of me with whom I had been in touch with from a services about 15 miles back!  So...wary of this i stuck cruise at 70 and lo! Some short time later what do i see in my mirror but the illegal police driving at death defying speeds....I didn't see him pull anyone else guess tWas the end of his shift....bet he was proud of himself! :congrats:

Like you lot I do not condone speeding especially in built up areas, as a father myself I think it appalling however where the road and conditions allow I think it more dangerous to enforce arcane laws rather than to let the traffic flow. (the btards) .... :signLOL: sorry rant over.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »

Now I hate people speeding near schools and built up areas, but there is a time and place for speed

....Very much agreed. I rigidly stick to the 20/30/40 and even 50 limits whether a speed camera is present or not and regardless of an impatient driver behind me.

Belive it or not Red, so do I. This is the reason I haven't had a single point on my licence for nearly 10 years before this mis-hap and I do 30k+ a year. There's a time and a place, just don't get your mate to film it..  :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 04:54:12 pm »

Like you lot I do not condone speeding especially in built up areas, as a father myself I think it appalling however where the road and conditions allow I think it more dangerous to enforce arcane laws rather than to let the traffic flow. (the btards) .... :signLOL: sorry rant over.

....To be fair, both being pulled and chatting to unmarked car Police drivers, I've found they are much more inclined to use their intelligence and discretion and judge your overall driving than just a mph number. I've only ever received 2 speeding tickets in 40 years, both by marked cars and both for exactly 93 mph on dual carriageways. Oops! I tell a lie! I got a fine for speeding in Belgium in April (dual carriageway again). All offences in my GTI  :laugh:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 05:03:57 pm »
speed limit should be 80mph i think in uk

and the police agreed with this, but government left loonies at the time still said no.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010, 05:10:47 pm »

speed limit should be 80mph i think in uk

and the police agreed with this, but government left loonies at the time still said no.

....I heard today that the current govn'ment is getting rid of many archaic laws still on statute, some dating from the 1800's etc. Perhaps someone should point out how out of date the 70 limit is. It was only brought in as a knee-jerk reaction to an enthusiast testing an AC Cobra down the M1 on a clear road in the middle of the night! Probably the same idiots who axed half the railway network in the UK... Duh! Duh! Duh!

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »
this is a silly waste of police time to "calculate" our speed from a video!

how do they know the video wasn't speeded up or digitally enhanced?

I would take them  to court and ask them to prove that if they came to me for one of my videos... lol

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 05:17:56 pm »

I would take them to court and ask them to prove that if they came to me for one of my videos... lol

....Right or wrong, good luck with that - You'd need it!

Offline Pummy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 05:22:16 pm »
I would take them  to court and ask them to prove that if they came to me for one of my videos... lol

They would get access to the original video and figure it out.  Doing forensic examinations on frame rates in a video is quite easy if the meta data in the video is left intact.  If you have access to remove it however....

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »

This was discussed with my solicitor at the time mate and I was advised not to bother. If I was a couple of mph over the limit then maybe, but it was fairly clear I was well over the 70 limit as the 115mph mentioned was the AVERAGE speed, not the peak.  :ashamed:
To be fair, it wasn't the speed that was the big issue, it was the fact that there was an RS4 (or RS6 if you listen to Mr Theakston  :stupid:) next to me doing the same thing (ie racing). This is what I was done for (Racing on a Public Highway) not the speeding as such, that just added to it.
Racing on a public highway is another archaic law that is very very rarely used (according to my solicitor) as it is so hard to prove generally, unless there's a video and 3 beeps  :ashamed: If I had of been caught doing 130mph on the same stretch on my own, I would of got between 28-56 day ban tops. But because there was another car there it goes up to 15 months  :stupid: This is why I was so pissed off to see those motorcyclists doing 125mph+ whilst weaving in and out of other road users, crossing solid white lines, on the back wheel and only got a fixed f***ing penalty (3 points)!?!?!?!?!?!  :fighting: Would love someone to explain to me how that works???  :confused:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:26:24 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:58 pm »
RS6?  :grin:

Get the facts right. Seemed like a bit of a noddy test they did to replicate the camera position, surprised they managed to get anythig out of it tbh. All over now so nevermind. I dont recall the Audi driver ever getting caught/done?

Was half expecting to see footage of myself when I saw that on the intro, straight line speeding on an empty carriageway. Capital crime  :confused:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 05:25:15 pm »
The law is bull.

If I do 120mph in the UK im a dangerous and reckless driver. If I do it a few hours drive away in germany its perfectly legal and socially acceptable.

The 70mph speed limit is silly.

What the government should do is increase the limit to 90mph, and actually make people have to learn how to drive properly on the motorway.

Currently learner drivers are not allowed in the motorway which is a joke.

Middle lane huggers aswell are bad, as those asshholes who sit in the fast lane at 70mph with a qeue of cars behind them, and refuse to move over, because in their eyes no one should be going over 70 as the law says so. Fooking do gooder job worths.

Offline Pummy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 05:28:49 pm »
Pass Plus which can be done IMMEDIATELY after you pass takes you onto all the roads which you did not learn on.  They do night driving, A roads, motorways etc and is very useful.  I did it many moons ago and gives you a LOT more confidence.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:40 pm »
Pass Plus which can be done IMMEDIATELY after you pass takes you onto all the roads which you did not learn on.  They do night driving, A roads, motorways etc and is very useful.  I did it many moons ago and gives you a LOT more confidence.

True but this is not mandatory and people generally dont want to pay for this when they can do it for free in their own eyes. Plus not all insurers recognise it. I do agree with what that women said on the program that we should have further training before being given the freedom of the roads or some kind of restrictions.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 05:43:17 pm »

Pass plus isnt mandatory though, and I didnt do it either TBH.