Make a donation

Author Topic: Another tyre question  (Read 2525 times)

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
Another tyre question
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »
I know there are several other tyre threads but bear with me.  At present I've got Avon Zz3's all round - they were fitted by the dealer. I need a new pair on the front and have been following the GY Vreds thread. Can anyone recommend a decent tyre? I don't do track days and only about 6k miles a year, which is all the avons have lasted.  Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers fellas and gals

Nads

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Another tyre question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 09:28:08 pm »
My local tyre place is a Vredestein dealer and he highly recommends them (he would) but so do quite a few forum members. They are good VFM and some of the reviews are excellent.
Also the local tyre guy told me about the Hankook ventus v12 evo k110's (what a mouthful) He said they were very good, and at £80ish each they were not to be missed. They also are getting some great reviews.

However, I think my next set of tyres will be the Yokohama Parada spec II's. I was VERY impressed with Nathan's, when he took me on a brown trouser lap of the Nurburgring  :grin:

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
I've run Pirelli P Zero Neros, Goodyear Eagle F1s and Bridgestone RE050s, and found them excellent. The thing is, tyre choice is very individual. Some want grip, some want mileage. One will always be at the expense of the other. Personally, I'd choose the Pirellis, despite others complaining of 'give' in the sidewalls. They felt right for me. Have a look at:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2009-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

The 'feel' of a tyre is often quoted, and again this is usually individual. If you have previous experience with a specific tyre, that can help you choose what's next.

One man's meat is another man's poison. One man's prime compound is another man's supersoft'.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:42:00 pm »
Also remember that the cheapest price for a tyre may be because they are running low on shelf life. Always check your tyre date code.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

More than 5 years old, and I wouldn't use em, nor should you buy em.
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 10:39:21 pm »
My local tyre place is a Vredestein dealer and he highly recommends them (he would) but so do quite a few forum members. They are good VFM and some of the reviews are excellent.
Also the local tyre guy told me about the Hankook ventus v12 evo k110's (what a mouthful) He said they were very good, and at £80ish each they were not to be missed. They also are getting some great reviews.

However, I think my next set of tyres will be the Yokohama Parada spec II's. I was VERY impressed with Nathan's, when he took me on a brown trouser lap of the Nurburgring  :grin:

I used to have the Yokos on the type r they were superb in the dry but i wasnt impressed through the winter months, so much so i thought about removing and selling them !
I still really rate the F1s, conti contacts and PS tyres although ive yet to try the new 3rd offerings
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:34:56 am »
I know there are several other tyre threads but bear with me.  At present I've got Avon Zz3's all round - they were fitted by the dealer. I need a new pair on the front and have been following the GY Vreds thread. Can anyone recommend a decent tyre? I don't do track days and only about 6k miles a year, which is all the avons have lasted.  Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers fellas and gals

Nads

my zz3's after 9000 miles had hardly worn, still had 6mm of tread!

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:01 am »
Cheers fellas and gals

Nads

When I said fitted by the dealer, that's what they told me.  So that might have been bo###cks.

I like the look of the Avons and like the idea of having the same rubber all round.  The only thing that put me off was the wear rate.

Anybody else got any opion on these Avons??

Cheers

Nads

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 05:52:04 pm »

I like the look of the Avons and like the idea of having the same rubber all round.  The only thing that put me off was the wear rate.

Cheers

Nads

They were pretty good on Joes car round the ring  :happy2:  Plus I also had em (17's) on my old Astravan and they lasted for ages.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 06:16:49 pm »
MICHELIN PILOTS !

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »
Cheers fellas and gals

Nads

When I said fitted by the dealer, that's what they told me.  So that might have been bo###cks.

I haven't used that particular flavour Avon, but when using older types of Avons on older cars, they were fairly proficent, except for tyre life.  Oh, and I use Avons on my motorbike, and am well happy with them.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~