Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS Nav thinks its in Germany  (Read 19019 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: RNS Nav thinks its in Germany
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 09:07:06 pm »
^ Yup, Nero fella.

I'll try .iso in a minute. Something's not right.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »
What speed are you burning at?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »
^^ 4x for the DVD and 10x for the CD.

It reads the disc for a while then produces the error. About 25 seconds after its inserted?
Pete

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 09:22:51 pm »
i'm sure you can burn the dvd at 2.4x. You want the lowest possible burn. Do you enable verification too to make sure the data's been written correctly?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 09:41:04 pm »
^ Verify was indeed ticked. I'll try at 2.4x. It must be more fundamental than that though I'm thinking? It sounds as though its read the data but then can't load it?

Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »
Meh. CD/DVD error yet again.

It must be something basic. Do I perhaps need the A version that was linked? Worth a try? Getting nowhere atm and would be a journey to Kingston upon Thames tomorrow wouldn't there :grin:
Pete

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »
1/11 sats isn't enough for a +ve lock. You need 4/x - if you don't have that after 15 minutes and the car is in open space then there's a problem.

Agreed that if you have 11 visible then there is a working GPS antenna connected, but if you can only get 1-2 locked then the nav will be unreliable.

Regensburg syndrome basically means that the GPS lock is cold-started every time the unit is powered on. So it normally cures itself after 10-15 minutes as a new lock is established (maybe longer for an in-dash mounted antenna perhaps?)

If the RNS has been properly coded then it will track progress against the last known map position using CANBUS data (steering and ABS sensors). Hence why you can start in Regensburg and then drive across Germany even when you are not there - if you aren't getting a GPS lock for some reason (and you have Regensburg) then the RNS will cold-start the location and go from there.

But this is all conjecture - if the lock is still unreliable after a FW up/downgrade then it's worth further investigation.
'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 11:16:18 pm »
That's very true fella.

Went for a 20 min drive and tbh it was faultless. Kept locked position correctly all journey through villages and towns. Used 5/8 satellites successfully so all being well its not a problem at the moment. I'll monitor it over the next week.

Thanks the 3 of you :happy2:
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 02:09:59 pm »
... Well, same issues yesterday unfortunately. Had a journey to and from London and on the way it was fine, locking signal successfully. Way back it didn't pickup signal until on the M1, which was about 25 + miles from Kingston.

; So same prob  :fighting: The inconsistency is the most annoying bit about it meaning I can't rely on it.
As the last firmware update didn't work for me on either DVD-RW or CD-R/RW, is there perhaps a different interim update I could try?

Thanks.
Pete

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 04:39:42 pm »
I would now recommend doing a Reset of the nav.

press and hold <, > and i (or the button next to eject) for about 30 secs (or until you see the VW splash screen)

Then turn off and  remove the MFD3 completely from the car. Wait about 2 mins and then reconnect the whole thing. Sometimes they just need a kick up the hoop.

I had to do that process when i had a similar problem as you describe. Touch wood it's been fine since. You don't normally have to remove it to reset but i tried the reset about 3 times previously and it never worked. I was then told about removing and that cured it.

Otherwise i suggest getting someone with VCDS to take a look and ensure it's coded correctly.

The only reason i can think now of it not working is the GPS Almanac (basically a list of where the satellites are in the sky) is not keeping it's update. Usually what happens is you update the firmware and the Almanac gets erased. It can then take up to 15 mins for it to rebuild. But once it has it "Should" keep it and just update what it needs.

Where abouts are you in UK. It might be worth looking at the VCDS register and PM'ing someone nearby. :happy2:

You can also use the other firmware i linked. It just takes slightly longer to sort out Regensburg but still way quicker than what you experience.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 06:02:47 pm »
I've got VCDS Carl  :happy2: As long as I know what I'm looking for, I can do that side of it...

I'll try the restart tonight, thanks.
I will indeed try the 'A' unit link too. What's the damage if I install that and mines not an 'A' unit (which I'm all but certain its not, it was an eBay jobby but fully legit, thus it'll be a 'B' or 'C' grade unit I suspect?)
Pete

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »
There wont be any damage it's just that firmware is 2720 which is slightly older.

It will still work on it no problem.

Basically after 2680 iirc support for A revision units was dropped. So in order to have 27XX onwards the firmware had to be modified.

As i said earlier im using that file and it works fine on mine. They are A revision and are more likely to get problems over a B or C revison

You can also use Firmware 1300 (don't be fooled by the no. it's newer than 276X) but you will lose voice control (if you have it) i don't think there are any other draw backs but i would need to check as it's been a while since i looked at the differences

I tend not to update now until something significant comes along :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
I tried the first link, the 'A' one and I got the same 'DVD/CD error - please check the disk etc...' when the RNS tried to load from the disc, which is really strange. It makes me think I'm burning the discs wrong  :scared: I'm sure I'm applying the same process as with the big update from your older thread, which worked a treat?

I did three restarts. These didn't seem to have any affect and sat on my drive still I get 1/11 satellites but still sits just by the Messerschmittstraße road.

Any other updates I can try? Alternatively, I'd like to get my hands on a step by step disc creation guide for the RNS updates as I've got a feeling I'm missing something, just can't work out from the process what :stupid:

If I can get an update so slip in successfully, chances are it will remedy it for the long run.
I'm aiming to remove the RNS and remove + re-connect the aerial at the weekend to start fresh connection wise.

Thanks.
Pete

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:42 pm »
I can't think why the discs are not loading  :confused:

To burn the disc right click on the image and select open with Nero.

When it opens then just Burn the image to disc (do not create a data disc otherwise that wont work).

Burn it as slow as possible and verify it afterwards.

Other than that i would try disconnecting everything for a couple of mins and reconnect to see if that solves the problem :happy2:

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 08:42:47 pm »
I would imagine that resetting the RNS and then quickly pulling it's fuse for two minutes would be the closest you could get to the reset procedure without having the dash out.

Can you try an audio CD in the DVD drive? If you can get an audio CD to play then at least we know the DVD drive is working......  :happy2:
'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)