Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG question (pulling up)  (Read 3734 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
DSG question (pulling up)
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:09:00 am »
What's your DSG like when you pull up at lights etc ?, I.e does it seem to try to pull you along giving the impression that braking is being made to work harder ?, it's hard to explain but it seems to pull at you a little on the down shifts ?, i know it's different to manual as all I used to do mostly was coast to the lights and the DSG obviously doesn't do this and uses the engine to brake for you

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: DSG question (pulling up)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:35:39 am »
it could be all that power you have  :signLOL:

mine feels...normal...as normal as it can for an auto

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 08:04:41 am »
What's your DSG like when you pull up at lights etc ?, I.e does it seem to try to pull you along giving the impression that braking is being made to work harder ?, it's hard to explain but it seems to pull at you a little on the down shifts ?, i know it's different to manual as all I used to do mostly was coast to the lights and the DSG obviously doesn't do this and uses the engine to brake for you

Mine feels like that but i thought it was because the Mechatronics was on the way out. Now im not sure :confused: but thats how i would describe mine, usually only when going from 3rd lower as 6-4th you can't feel.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:50:50 am »
Well it's been like it since new so I'm not sure either?, just wondered how others felt, his is the first auto I have had so not sure, the DSG I test drove was like this too

Mine feels like that but i thought it was because the Mechatronics was on the way out. Now im not sure :confused: but thats how i would describe mine, usually only when going from 3rd lower as 6-4th you can't feel.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:01:51 pm by 182_blue »

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:33:08 pm »
Only had mine for 12 days but it doesn't seem to do what you are describing.
It changes down while coming to lights without you feeling it.
I only have to gently hold the brake while waiting in D.

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:38:56 pm »
I've never noticed anything on mine. Sounds like a good excuse to go out for a random drive! Not that an excuse is ever needed  :driver:
GTI going...

Offline alastairc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 12:59:38 pm »
Sounds the same as mine though, just a tiny bit eager on downshifting when slowing down gently - note the gently - thats the only time i notice it!

But being as the DSG is chipped too - i dont worry about it.

Mk5 GTI DSG, Stage 2 Bluefin, Revo DSG Remap, Miltek Stainless Turbo back with Race cat, Forge Twintercooler, Carbonio Intake, Upgraded Disks and Green Stuff Pads, Konzept Open Fogs, Upgraded OEM Divertor, Leather, SatNav.

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:44:48 pm »
Depends if i've been giving it a hard time before hand. If I've had a blast it is quite rough at the lights.

But if I have the mother in law in, tootling along, it's very smooth.

Offline Biff

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »

Mine has done this since new but only when the DSG is in S mode, usually after a long drive. Rented a DSG Scirocco for a day at the Ring in July, DSG box exhibited similar behaviour in S albeit not as harsh. Will be mentioning this at my next service before my warranty is spent.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:23:47 pm by Biff »

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:52 am »
If its doing an aggressive down shift, in sport or manual mode the DSG will have to blip the throttle to allow it to smoothly shift gears as it will have specific rev ranges for the gears, this could cause the small surge in power.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:47:27 am »
If its doing an aggressive down shift, in sport or manual mode the DSG will have to blip the throttle to allow it to smoothly shift gears as it will have specific rev ranges for the gears, this could cause the small surge in power.

yeh im beginning to think its my aggressive braking and speed that's at fault LOL

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 05:26:02 pm »
Bump for others thoughts, I took my map off today and it feels better without the map, wonder what everyone else's feels like

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a7tndrj2tog43nhr59h4a9ndea&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 01:33:58 am »
I know what you mean about those little surges whilst braking.... i dont really notice them now!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 07:38:38 am »
I know what you mean about those little surges whilst braking.... i dont really notice them now!

yeh they are growing on me, i guess i was used to coasting up to lights in a manual, a auto bow is always going to have to plip the throttle a bit i guess

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 01:45:35 am »
since this post i have been noticing this more and more!

it does seem keen to carry on when stopping!