Make a donation

Author Topic: had a go in a mapped vectra VXR today  (Read 20174 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: had a go in a mapped vectra VXR today
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 11:57:27 pm »
Thought I would post my Vauxhall experience here instead of starting a new thread  :wink: Read on cos this guy was a nut-job.

The other day there was an old boy in his 60's telling how good his Nurburg Edition Astra was and how crap my golf was  :chicken: He said that at least he had "proper-full leather " interior instead of half a job.
Having the special Edition, I asked him if he planned going to the Ring, to which he replied "don't know......maybe"

He then began to question me about the Ring, as he didn't really believe that I had been.  :confused:

Then he told me that  the Nurburg Astra has been round the Ring in 6mins  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

He asked me if I was a drug dealer, or if the car was nicked, cos it was too expensive for me.  I didn't even know the guy  :confused:

That was all I could take. He really didn't like the fact that I wasn't playing his game. Most of the time I was being a bit sarcastic towards him, but I didn't  lose my cool.
I did remember however, to tell him that there is a great video on Youtube of a Nurburg astra. It was the car we all saw drive past on the back of a flatbed wagon :laugh:
Yeah, I told him about the Massive understeer it had, as the fella tried to go round the bend, but instead went straight through the wall.

When I left I said to him pretty much what Janner said. I said "Well, at the end of the day its still a Vauxhall mate. A Vauxhall thats been styled by Halfords"  :happy2:

The guy was ready to have a heart attack I think  :ashamed:

Old people. You can't beat em!.............................................which is a shame.  :smiley: 

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2010, 10:54:24 am »
To be honest, think there supposed to be alright, am sure its ring time is mid 8s which would be same as rs, r26 etc
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline daz5182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2010, 11:59:45 am »
As an ex astra VXR owner i can honestly say that they are a very very good car, i had mine tuned to stage 2 and for the money it cost it was amazing, the build quality is great and the drive is fantastic, yeah maybe they don't have the build quality of the VAG cars but they are not far off and are loads better value! I picked my VXRs up brand new for just over 17k...... Excellent value for what you get compared to any golf or audi.....

Don't get me wrong i love my golf and think it is a better all round car than the astra, however if i was in the same boat buying new again I'd have the astra every time, I'd rather pocket the money for the price difference.

Just my 2p.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 05:28:19 pm »
Astra went round the 'ring in 8 min 35 sec, that's why they made 835 of the white ones. Then Vauxhall went and spoilt it by releasing the Arctic Edition almost straight after! Williams Clio all over again.

I've a friend who drove an EDS tuned Vectra VXR that had 340PS, but I don't remember the kit ever being released to the public domain, it was more one of those 'look what we can do' type cars. Sure there was a few press write-ups on it, so there maybe some out there if you google it?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2010, 05:59:18 pm »
i dont rate the the astra at all. 

my mate had the nurburg edition astra at TMS stage 2 which ran 276hp peak where mine made 262Hp peak @ stage 2 iirc. This was on the same dyno/same day in germany.

On the ring it was no faster than my vRS when on the straights if anything they were pretty much identical.  In the corner i left him for dead  but he had std suspension i had the full works incl coilovers, ARBs etc.

mine was till comfier as well, and better on fuel, with a bigger boot and cost less.

he no longer owns one. he now has a vRS TSi running stage 1 with all the same mods.  says alot about the VXR astra IMO

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »

Thought I would post my Vauxhall experience here instead of starting a new thread  :wink: Read on cos this guy was a nut-job.

The other day there was an old boy in his 60's telling how good his Nurburg Edition Astra was and how crap my golf was  :chicken:

Old people. You can't beat em!.............................................which is a shame.  :smiley: 

....Fortunately not all drivers in their 60's are like him!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »

The other day there was an old boy in his 60's telling how good his Nurburg Edition Astra was and how crap my golf was  :chicken:

some are worse :grin: :grin: :drinking:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2010, 09:51:13 pm »

I don't see you as old in any way Robin.  :innocent:

If you are in your 60's, then all I can say is... I hope I am tearing up the track like you when I am your age  :notworthy:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2010, 10:05:35 pm »
^^^^
Cheers, monte!  :drinking: I'm 63yo, or should I say 63 years young  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline daz5182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2010, 09:10:08 am »
i dont rate the the astra at all. 

my mate had the nurburg edition astra at TMS stage 2 which ran 276hp peak where mine made 262Hp peak @ stage 2 iirc. This was on the same dyno/same day in germany.

Please don't think that the TMS maps are any good at all, they are useless, i had one on mine and it was very poor, the figures might be good but they are poor, hardly any different to standard in my opinion, i then went for an EDS map and the car was unbelieveable.....

Honestly, superchips bluefin (TMS maps) cannot be compared to a proper tuned car!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »
sill think theyre crap as did he :grin: