Make a donation

Author Topic: Introducing the new car.................................  (Read 17656 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Introducing the new car.................................
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:19 am »
Cheers Steve, was just looking up Arval myself! The milage is ok actually, pretty much average for its age!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline no golf clubs at all

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:45 am »
This is one on my list for my next car too!  :congrats:  :pomppomp:

I can get a hold of a master tech who works for BMW to do a prepurchase inspection, so that would hopefully give me some peace of mind.

That said,...I still have a very strong hankering for a 996....IF i can find one where the engine doesnt implode that is.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:57 am »
Lovely Chris!  :notworthy:

And we'll see about letting you stay around!! Depends if you let the mods have a good blast out in your new car!  :wink:

Yup I'd always plump for an ex-lease/company car over privately owned as you know 100% it will have wanted for nothing as it will not have been at the drivers expense!  :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 10:17:18 am »

And we'll see about letting you stay around!! Depends if you let the mods have a good blast out in your new car!  :wink:

Yup I'd always plump for an ex-lease/company car over privately owned as you know 100% it will have wanted for nothing as it will not have been at the drivers expense!  :happy2:

I'll give you first dibs on mine when it's due back in April then Nath..  :happy2: :wink:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 10:21:08 am »
This is one on my list for my next car too!  :congrats:  :pomppomp:

I can get a hold of a master tech who works for BMW to do a prepurchase inspection, so that would hopefully give me some peace of mind.

That said,...I still have a very strong hankering for a 996....IF i can find one where the engine doesnt implode that is.

Yeah I know what you mean! It's critical to find a good one! Although saying that, the engines are generally fine and will go on for years. It's the bushes/suspension/bearings/mounts/seals that go, with the diff being the most expensive thing! **praying that my diff doesn't go soon haha**

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 10:21:23 am »

Haha, I'm sure that can be arranged  :wink:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:15 am »
Absolutely fabulous!

Is it Dolphin Grey? My earlier Beemer straight-six was and yours is the car I thought of getting next but I got the GTI instead as divorce and single parenthood dictated (no regrets though).

If you ever do it, red upholstery will really make this car a future classic. BMW engines are superb!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Looking forward to seeing her in the flesh next week, Chris  :drinking:

[Great pics by Dom]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 10:37:07 am »
Absolutely fabulous!

Is it Dolphin Grey? My earlier Beemer straight-six was and yours is the car I thought of getting next but I got the GTI instead as divorce and single parenthood dictated (no regrets though).

If you ever do it, red upholstery will really make this car a future classic. BMW engines are superb!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Looking forward to seeing her in the flesh next week, Chris  :drinking:

[Great pics by Dom]

Thanks Robin! The red leather will hopefully come in March next year! The current black leather is in great condition, but I think I'll get Winter out of the way before replacing the leather.

The colour is called "Silver Grey", it's the same colour that the CSL came in.

Yep, will be there at the meet next week (probably at about 8:30, so save me a seat!)

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:34 am »

Yep, will be there at the meet next week (probably at about 8:30, so save me a seat!)

....Seat will be saved but don't expect it to be upholstered in red leather!  :laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 10:41:01 am »

I'll give you first dibs on mine when it's due back in April then Nath..  :happy2: :wink:

Like most things in life there are exceptions!  :laugh:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 10:44:28 am »
I was going to be 8k on my old one for a new subframe.  :scared:

Just watch out for some of the replica air boxes the are not internally braced and some collapse you are probably looking at about £2500 for decent one fitted with alpha N mapping or if you are just after the noise an anout 10-15 brake im sure AL tuning do a MAF mapped airbox so it will save about 1K and chopping the loom.

Nice looking car mate, if the car looks good and was a lease by a previous owner i think its a good thing as everything will be fixed pretty much free of charge so he will probably just get it done as it wouldnt cost him anything, my gti was an EX lease car and ive got a printed out recipt for every single item from new, eg its had 2 tyres in 38k miles so its told me that it has never really been abused.

:happy2:
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Tara

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • If it doesnt break...your not going hard enough!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 11:41:11 am »
Lovely car :)

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »
cant see pics yet (at work) , but sounds fab , good to see you finally scratched that itch  :happy2:
they are lovely cars  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »
Nice car, as stated thugh not cheap especially when it goes wrong, a mate just spent 3k repairing his !!

Was it the diff??

nope, something on the engine, although i think he had a diff issue before LOL, he calls it a money pit, its stopped him getting a mortgage  :grin:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 03:04:49 pm »

Not wanting to burst your bubble mate, but I used to organise the lease car scheme at my last job and this is FAR from the thruth  :confused:
The cars were very badly maintained and were always repaired (most had a knock or two in their time!) at the cheapest back street garages. This was using probably the biggest and best known leasing company in the UK as well. I'm not naming names, here so don't ask.

In addtion to this, my GTI is an ex lease car as well. It has 1 previous owener (the lease company) and the car was in a shocking state when I bought it. I AM willing to name names here... 'JCT600 contracts ltd'. The car did have a full service history but also a torn leather seat, very poorly resprayed panels, deeply scratched side window, deformed tyres, non-standard headlights plus loads of bits and bobs that were scratched or marked. It also broke down 2 days after I bought it too!
It's all sorted now as I haggled a lot off the asking price then fixed it at my expense, but I won't be buying another lease car again in a hurry.