Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice needed for brakes...  (Read 13091 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Advice needed for brakes...
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 06:19:00 pm »
so did I before I posted just to make sure :laugh:

Thats cheating  :grin:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »

Didn't have to tell you :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »

Didn't have to tell you :laugh:

....Gosh, that bitch gaz has got all the answers!  :wink:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 09:14:55 pm »
The best brakes in the business are Porsche Brakes, so it is definitely Dave's kit all the way. I have a set on my GTI 275Hp 315lbft (K03) and only use the car on the raod and they are awesome, done 10k m on them now and wouldn't change them for anything. Can't see why you would want bigger unless you were running serious HP and racing or wanted the pose factor - look how big my brakes are ;-)

Offline stiggy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 11:17:39 pm »
Hmm.......these Porsche brakes are growing on me - had a brief read of the relevant post.  Am i right in saying they consist of the R32 discs with 4 pot Porsche calipers?  How much would such a setup cost?  The other thing is, it seems I would have to source second hand parts myself and have them reconditioned, then fitted - just seems like a lot of time and hassle to be honest!  Still, they are a very cost effective option.  Anyone had some track use with this setup? Also, may seem like a stupid question but how would they compare performance wise with a big brake kit such as the VWR ones (both on track and road)?

Rear brakes have also been a concern of mine, but I have been told differing opinions on the matter.  I was informed by Matt from VWR that the rears don't need touching with the VWR kit, but have been told by others that rears need to be sorted to balance the braking - it seems to depend on the chosen brake package, is that right?  Was thinking of at least changing the pads on the rear though to something like ferrodos.

Really need to decide what to do as the brake pads indicator has been on for a month :scared:  Not really one for posing, but if there is a definite performance or safety gain I don't mind paying a little extra.
MkV GTI Edition 30 - 5 door - DSG - Diamond Black - RNS 510 - Now with a hint of blueflame.....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 11:21:39 pm »
^^^^
It's true that the rears don't need touching with a good front brake kit, but myself and others know from direct experience that braking feels much more solid and evenly planted when you swop the stock rears to the S3's.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stiggy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:47 pm »
^^^
Understood - thanks :happy2: I will look into that - seems like that may make it's way on to the "to do" list - which just seems to get bigger and bigger whenever I come on here :fighting:
MkV GTI Edition 30 - 5 door - DSG - Diamond Black - RNS 510 - Now with a hint of blueflame.....

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »
what about r32 discs with porsche calipers.

shark90 runs merc 350mm discs with prsche 4 pots and they are awesome.  think he selling them as well

I asked Dave about this, I think the disc thickness of the R32/S3 disc is too wide for the Porsche caliper he is using in his kits

the boxter calipers are no good, but there areother porsche calipers that can be used.  they are 100% porsche, ive seen and driven them, im pretty sure dave supplied them.  alternative you have the R8 calipers, or the 4 pots that tfsi_mike ha just bought of dave.

here they are, from a porsche 996 turbo  for sale here

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/165465-feeler-350mm-porsche-996-turbo-big-brake-kit-for-mkii-octavia/page__p__2020689__hl__porsche__fromsearch__1&#entry2020689

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 12:09:06 am »
Chaps

Were talking two different kits here. The NQS BBK runs on Porsche Boxster / Cayman fronts which indeed take a 25mm disc. Calipers from £250 discs from 30 odd quid

Ben at Shark Performance had the 996 Turbo Front Calipers on Mercedes R500 discs which are 350x32, I can also get these on an S3 with a variation on the bracketry. QD also had these on his Eddy and liked them.

Unless you go for a skinny caliper such as a DB9 caliper the R32 disc isn't really tall enough to offer much wheel clearance

Im still not convinced about the VWR setup, I'd need to know that they had fixed the spigot problem and were now supplying proper bolts instead of the chinese ebay tat they were supplying as sticking plasters. Im from an aerospace background as is Gaz is and its not a good idea to use crap bolts when they are the only thing taking the full weight of the car.

If they've fixed it then fairdo's but are they three times better than the NQSBBK setup?

The NQSBBK was there simply to do an imbetween job on a budget - I think its good value and comes back to the "clubman" setup i.e.affordable and matches the drivers ability over ultimate cost.  

Given the VWR budget I'd have Gobbleplease's setup all day long. That 330x28 AP Pro5000+ setup is currently being used on the scirroco cup cars - Discs/Bells/Pads/Carriers were under 10kg per corner with Pagid Blues at about 90quid instead of £200 that VWR charge for race pads. 330x28 and S3 rears would seem a really good balance.

I've researched and supplied carbon kits and steel kits up to 400mm on request from some people (Not VAG), biggest isn't always best although it can be made to work well.

Not bothering with the rears would be foolhardy imvho, it may be that VWR advocate a loose rear setup for the road or they cant be bothered supplying rear kits as the normal S3 upgrade doesnt have enough margin in it (fair enough - they're not a charity).

Lets set a challenge lets see  if anybody can find a production sports vehicle with 355mm 6 pot fronts and solid rear discs at 286mm - good luck.

SteveP is considering a pad upgrade and has gone for grooved discs on the rear as he was having issues on std discs and pads with the NQSBBK never mind a 355mm 6 pot setup. Some grooved discs and some DS2500's on the rear should give a really good setup for road/track

TC has 360mm fronts and had standard 286 rears and spent most of the ring trip looking at the direction of travel out his side window

As in life and as you'd expect its all about balance

Tabs & Wilko & JohnC over on the Uk-mkivs forum have 330x32 disc s on some skinny 51mm race pads on the Bora of Win and can do 20 laps flat out at Oulton come in for a driver change and check over and then go out and do another 20 no drama, that setup cost them around £800.

h4rdy

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 12:50:34 am »
Dave, any opinion on K-sport set ups?

They were reasonably well regarded on Subarus.

J

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 01:13:48 am »
They get a bad press but they're from the same factory as the XYZ stuff bolted to the aforementioned Bora, as long as the piston size surface area TOTALS about 48-50 sq cms then the caliper will give a good pedal, some well thought out piston sizes will give good progression after you've done that its down to what the quality of the pad and discs are like.

Some of the K Sport stuff doesnt come with dust seals which isn't optimal but with some prevenative maintenance shouldnt be a problem.

I personally wouldn't want them on my daily but probably wouldn't hesitate putting them on a lightweight track slag and when they're knacked chuck em and replace the whole lot when they're done - seal kits can be expensive as can replacement rotors.

The more conventional suppliers such as AP  Brembo and Alcon are reassuringly expensive but the disc/consumable replacement costs whilst not cheap are not stupid expensive. Seal kit for a 10 pot tarox setup = £450 for 20 rubber rings!

You can get the 362mm x 32mm replacement rotor CP4542 for about £300 from AP - not bad?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 09:15:16 am »
Ok as I have no direct knowledge of how the brakes feel with bigger rears on it's my next mod I think as I have been running the vwr kit for months now with stock rears.

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »
Stiggy

I've just had these brakes shipped to me from Daveb and I'm not putting them on the car due to a change in circumstances. I've got two sets of discs and one set of pads to go with these so if you're interested give me bell. I'm not looking to make anything on these just to recoup the money spent. £525 for the Porsche brake calipers and I'll find out what the discs and pads cost and put up later.

Offline stiggy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 11:04:58 pm »
Stiggy

I've just had these brakes shipped to me from Daveb and I'm not putting them on the car due to a change in circumstances. I've got two sets of discs and one set of pads to go with these so if you're interested give me bell. I'm not looking to make anything on these just to recoup the money spent. £525 for the Porsche brake calipers and I'll find out what the discs and pads cost and put up later.

That would be great :happy2: - I haven't yet 100% decided which setup I will go for, but the Porsche setup is a strong option.  I tend to be very busy and get no time to do some research, which I would like to do first before taking the plunge - after all, my knowledge on brakes is very limited.

@Daveb1970

Thanks for taking the time for an informative response.  Again, I want to know more about the brakes so would like to research so there may be a flurry of questions coming your way.  You have been warned :wink:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 11:41:19 pm »
@Stiggy

No probs mate happy to help with as much free advice as you're stupid enough to listen to  :laugh:  :grin:  Might be an idea to post any q's in here so people can pick holes in my answers!

I'm having to take a break from all things brakes as of about two weeks ago unfortunately  just dont have enough hours in the day for the day job, so if you can find somebody selling a kit it will probably save you some time and money - certainly until the new year at the very least.

I'd think long and hard before putting £1500 quid into a setup, the NQS BBK was dreampt up and developed to fill a gap and provide access to a caliper that had a number of pad choices available. Its the sort of setup that you'll always get your money back on as well so good value. Everybody who has fitted it really rates it and SteveP got some scalps at Silverstone the other week.

Theres very little choice available between the R32 setup and the next kit along which is well over £1000.

One other thing....Joe got some juddering on the way home some from the ring, it was simply a build up of new pad material after swapping road/track pads and would have sorted itself out with some wear, the quickest way to sort the problem was to skim the discs at a machine shop. So we talked about it and realised that instead of skimming them for £30 we'd just buy some new ones for £55! Cheap consumables are a must if you fancy some ring trips or track days, imagine driving home from a trackday having toasted some of Alcons finest, whilst we're on discs you may or may not be aware you cant mix carbon metallic pads and ceramic pads on the same disc - Buy two sets of 312 discs and run some heavy duty metallics for stupid stopping power on track days - CM's are good to 800 degrees!

Cheers