Make a donation

Author Topic: Nurburgring  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Aaron_RJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Nurburgring
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:55:25 pm »
Anyone been? Making my 1st trip in June and can't wait!
2007 GTI | 18'' Monzas |Xenons|Highline|MFSW|Lux pack| Factory Tints |Cruise control
Mods: VWR Quickshift |Forge DV |Autotech HPFP| Sportlines | |Goodrich hoses |Milltek non res TBE | Stage 2 map | Custom CAI

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Nurburgring
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:57:59 pm »
few have been mate, forum done a few trips too, great place :happy2: have fun.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:34:13 pm »
Been twice, mecca for any petrolhead  :driver: :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »
i used to live a hour down the road from there  whilst being entitled to tax free fuel.  now thats a recipe for good times.

A few pointers id reccomend.

1-Try to get a cabby for a couple laps as a passanger to see the track and get your bearings, then you can witness a bit of track etiquette etc.  Try and look around the car parks for guys (usually in older crapped out cars) that seem to be doing multiple laps.  these are normally local guys who use the ring alot.  theyre experience will be invaluable.

2-Everyone likes to time themselves, but seriously i wouldnt even consider a timed lap until you have done 20+ laps if not more.  its not a short course so it takes a while to learn, and even longer to master if you ever manage it at all.

3-Dont drive on, with a cold engine, make sure your fully up to temperature.  Check all your fluids, tyre pressures.

4-When you finish the track on the final straight, slow down early to help cool your brakes.  when you slow down, do not sit with the brakes applied as when th pads are red hot, it will leave deposits on the brake discs which causes vibration/warping..

5-When you leave the track, dont just park the car up and get out, go for a 5 minute drive to cool the engine and brakes down.  coming out of the track, turn right, head down and take the first left and it takes you on a 3-4k loop back to the track past the petrol station.  Also when you park up after lapping, do not use the handbrake as this will potentially warp a disc as well.  park with the car in gear.

6-The ring isn't to bad on brakes, but when you are new to the track you will use them alot more than needed as you arent familiar with the layout.  also high speed braking really punishes the standard brakes.  I would highly recommend fitting an uprated set of front pads (and back if you have the cash) and change the brake fluid to a more performance orientated fluid.  my biggest issue at the ring was brakes.  once i had completed a few hard high speed stops they really struggled to recover, meaning i had to wait ages between laps at times for them to cool.

brake pads:  try ferrodo DS2500, mintex m1144s amonsgt others.  fluids i have used motul RBF600 to good effect

7- Use your mirrors religiously. beware of bikes, they appear out of nowhere and will outbrake you into the corner big style.   you will also have no issues keeping up with them in the bends so allow plenty of room.  there are some proper tits there.

8-if a faster car or a tit is trying to get past, indicate to the right, move over and let them past, 
hope that helps.  loads of us on here have frequented the ring, and are njow well and truly addicted.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:58:24 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »
not what it once was  :sad1:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:02:55 pm »
I've been once or twice :evilgrin:

Here's a lap in mine - two up and taking it steady. :innocent:

This starts off on the GP sprint circuit as it was a full on track day with open pitlane.

Golf R gone.

Offline Aaron_RJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:34:27 pm »
Cheers all so useful info I will take on board
2007 GTI | 18'' Monzas |Xenons|Highline|MFSW|Lux pack| Factory Tints |Cruise control
Mods: VWR Quickshift |Forge DV |Autotech HPFP| Sportlines | |Goodrich hoses |Milltek non res TBE | Stage 2 map | Custom CAI

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »
there are camera men around the ring taking pics all the time.  so write down what time and day you do your laps on then you can get the pics from some o the sites in this link

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6972.0.html

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:40:05 am »
I am looking to go next year, probably June time, Maybe there will be a forum trip going on that time, good road trip, and most the regulars know the best route to get there, and all the decent hotels to stay in.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 10:49:15 am »
im going next month, i think!  :jumping:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Aaron_RJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:21:21 am »
I am looking to go next year, probably June time, Maybe there will be a forum trip going on that time, good road trip, and most the regulars know the best route to get there, and all the decent hotels to stay in.

Do u want to organise a group road trip?

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 04:37:03 pm »
Im looking to go next year.  :driver:
will definately be up for going on a trip with the forum  :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:37:05 am »
not what it once was  :sad1:

x2, it's all very commercial nowadays (though I haven't been since late '08 I think).

Still, go there to enjoy the drive. You're in a Golf, you're not going to break any records, so why bother trying? Just enjoy the lap and the car. It's a great feeling.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:29:33 pm »
Looks as though next May is going to be the next Forum trip!  :happy2:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You