Make a donation

Author Topic: Need Help With a GOOD cleaining process.....  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Need Help With a GOOD cleaining process.....
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:33:12 am »
OK, I'm looking to give my car an almighty clean. I'm pretty old skool I'm afriad. Good wash, wash, dry and polish  :ashamed:

I'm hoping people can add to the following, leaving me with a showroom shine car - not car does have the swirl effect. So any steps to improving the would also be greatly received.

1) Full wash - using to bucket system (One for wash, other for mit cleaning)
2) Jet Wash down.
3) Dry
4) Clay Baring < First time  :scared:
5) Another Wash
6) Dry
7) Polish

See pretty basic  :ashamed:
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Need Help With a GOOD cleaining process.....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:25:54 am »
Don't bother drying before claying. Leave the car wet and just continue claying.

What you going to seal the polish with? I'd suggest using a wax. There's a billion to choose from, ranging from £5 to £10,000.

Would also think about other things - windows, rubber/plastic trim, tyres, alloys, glass, upholstery, dashboard etc. How are you going to address these?

If you're going to use a pressure washer, there's nothing with using it to prerinse the car. It was soften and loosen dirt so less damage inflicted by using the washmitt

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »
 I generally just use basic autoglm products. Interior shapoo, glass polish and std. polish etc.

Hence why I'm here....looking for a good process with maybe some good recomendation on products. See I've never used a clay bar, thought it was basically a spray on cleaner that comes with the clay. Would have gone by the instructions that came with it.

Been looking at Miglior Detailing - great work, but has so many different products, not really sure which would be best for me.

As for dealing polish ???? alyways been a basic wash, and wax person :(

Ideally, in basic terms I need a good--

1) Shampoo (rid all marks and spots)
2) A good paint detailer (Kinda t-cut) to improve the swirls best as I can
3) Obviously a finisher (wax, polish...sealer)

'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:52:28 pm »
Swissvax, Autoglym....Mag's  :confused: so many....  :confused:

Where I'm at....

1) Jet wash (lightly) - just to pre-remove excess dirt.
2) Full wheel clean, with a good wheel cleaner, and soapy water.
3) Cover the car in a 'Snow Foam' leave this for 5-10 mins and rince.
4) Wash - two bucket method
5) Rince
6) Full clay bar - remove ALL crap from paint itself.
7) Snow Foam & Rince.
8.) Completely dry the car
9) FULL polish - with a cutting agent to reduce swirls/marks
10) Full wax - non abbrasive to restore the shine.
11) A full sealant. (Believe something with a carnuba content, higher the better)

What do you all think? should I change anything round, different order? once get a good process I will then work out the products.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »
Wax after sealant

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:04:07 pm »
It all depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to do. Some of us have spent over £700 on detailing products and some of that was wasted on products I never used again. You need to think of a budget and source. If you're buying from halfrauds, I'd go for different products to ones I'd buy online. For each stage, if you asked everyone on this forum, you'd get different answers. Honestly think about what you want to achieve. Some people just want a quick wash and would rather spend time driving the car. Others are happy to spend twelve hours on a car to bring it up to standard and a few hours every weekend to maintain it.

7) Snow Foam & Rince.
I wouldn't bother with this stage - just get the washmitt and bucket out again.

9) FULL polish - with a cutting agent to reduce swirls/marks
Are you using a machine polisher or hand polish? Only a rotary in the hands of an expert will get rid of nearly all marks. At best, you can get rid of most of them and reduce the worse ones.
10) Full wax - non abbrasive to restore the shine.
11) A full sealant. (Believe something with a carnuba content, higher the better)
As above, you want to seal in the polish. A sealant is better here. A wax can then be applied above. A wax doesn't restore shine - merely enhances it. It's the polishing that creates the finish. A glaze can help bring that wetness and depth. The wax required the higher carnauba content.

I honestly think you should start basic and build up your armory. No point in spending £200 if you find you don't have the time/effort for it.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 07:09:26 pm »
Id suggest seeking a pro in your area and getting it done right first time, then keeping it on top of it. That way, there will be minimal spend on products to keep it looking the way it should.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:57 pm »
thanks for the advice guys!! Really!!

Time and effort < not an issue, if it takes days to a week then so be it. I want it looking good. Head turning clean. Something I could walk away from and be proud of. I always put lot effort in, just lack the knowledge and skill I guess - doing things right.

Cost - MMmmmmm obviously don't have a bottomless pit, but understand will be ££ for good products.Good products = good results.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:06 pm »
Good products never equal a good finish if the prep isn't up to scratch.  :signLOL:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 10:38:27 pm »
I think I'd agree with JPC - get it done once properly, then it's easier maintain - just wash, dry and top up the wax. You'll save a lot more cash that way.

Offline Drapoon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 07:24:45 pm »
If you need advice going through any of the processes then give me a shout.

I spent a day with a pro & learn't a lot, not that I'm a pro, just a very keen amateur :smiley:

I'm in Northants :ashamed:

Martin