Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket Hi-Beam Bulbs  (Read 3355 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Aftermarket Hi-Beam Bulbs
« on: October 08, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »
... Talk to me  :smiley:

Are there any that are substantially brighter than the factory hi-beam/full beam bulbs?
I've dabbled around with different LED side lights for ages but would like to know if there are aftermarket hi-beam/full beam bulbs that will give me a stronger beam pattern the the OEM yellow ones - is this worth pursuing? It would be nice to have as I do regular A/B road night driving.

I've got Factory Xenons and price isn't too much of an issue - perhaps PIAA ones fall into this category?

Thanks  :happy2:
- Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Aftermarket Hi-Beam Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 06:51:40 pm »
Nightbreakers are the best I've used, and I've tried loads of different ones but not PIAA so I can't comment on these
GTI going...

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:53:35 pm »
Nightbreakers are the best I've used, and I've tried loads of different ones but not PIAA so I can't comment on these
...........same here Osram are also german oe quality. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

^^^ What they said!

Nightbreakers FTW. They Dont last that long tho.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 08:59:39 pm »
They Dont last that long tho.

Well that's no good then boys!  :chicken:  :wink:
I want them to have the life of the factory high beam bulbs if possible. Won't PIAA stuff have lots of life in them as they are basically rally lighting bulbs so should last forever?

Silly question, but which bulb does the Hi-Beam use, is that a H7 bulb like the dipped beam headlights too?

Cheers.
Pete

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:12 pm »
They Dont last that long tho.

Well that's no good then boys!  :chicken:  :wink:
I want them to have the life of the factory high beam bulbs if possible. Won't PIAA stuff have lots of life in them as they are basically rally lighting bulbs so should last forever?

Silly question, but which bulb does the Hi-Beam use, is that a H7 bulb like the dipped beam headlights too?

Cheers.

They're H7. Never had a problem with bulb life myself. I can get them for £12-13 a pair if you want some. Don't have any right now though.
GTI going...

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:33:08 pm »
Ive gone through two headlights in 6 months but they are only about 10 - 15 for the pair!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 12:36:03 pm »
Philips are the best lasting ones I've tried. Never had one blow yet. I guess the Nightbreaker equivalent will be the X-treme ones? They do one called Power2Night which is (I think) the same bulb with a blue tip to give a more xenon look without giving the whole thing a blue coating (blue filters diminish light output). There's also these that get a good write-up:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/213024/narva_range_power_blue.html

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:44 pm »
Suprised you feel the need to change the high beam bulbs as well Pete I find the xenons on full beam with the diaphram open too much when reflecting back off of road signs.  I assume you have the option checked for the bi xenons to get you the xenon on full beam as well as dipped?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 03:15:02 pm »
Suprised you feel the need to change the high beam bulbs as well Pete I find the xenons on full beam with the diaphram open too much when reflecting back off of road signs.  I assume you have the option checked for the bi xenons to get you the xenon on full beam as well as dipped?

Nope, no issues. I simply wanted a white beam when flashing people to pass/go by so it looks better  :wink:

Which option is that Rich? I do have VCDS, but I've never changed the Xenon settings. This was all done by Jay when he retro-fitted them for me :happy2:
Pete

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »
Would need to check tonight Pete but the coding on the xenons and the halogen high beam can be setup in a couple of ways, would be worth making sure that the dipped and highbeam as well as the halogen bulb was enabled.  Sure if Jay did it then it would be right.  Will try and check which blocks and bytes tonight, but as a visual check get someone to switch between dipped and main beam while you can see the lenses (preferably not looking straight into them) and see if the diaphram in the xenon bulb is opening up.  With both lights on it is seriously the brightest light I have ever seen like driving in day light with the view ahead.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ettc5oj90bcvjvhpa0827r17bd&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:30:32 am »
Pete... You'll need to connect the two loose wires that are on the kufatek  adapters to the module below the steering column! Then  check bi xenons with shutters in VCDS!