Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge Big Brake Kit. Is this a new product?  (Read 8056 times)

h4rdy

Offline TrickGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
Re: Forge Big Brake Kit. Is this a new product?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:48:18 am »
They look like the dogs rolloks. I'm a forge fan so would consider these plus I think that's a bloody good price compared to others
2006 Tornado red GTI

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:49:14 am »
WOW  :drool: What a great price too. Anyone confirm the quality of these? The 6 pots and the discs look great. Very Interested in these. Good find.  :congrats:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:00:17 am »
Are they brake experts ?, or are these some re-branded items ?, either way i reckon my money would do somewhere else

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 10:04:08 am »
They are probably re-branded. Hopefully not made in Taiwan  :scared:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:42:35 am »

Dont write them off just yet, we need to know piston sizes, supplied pad material, dust caps yes or no, does the pad shape replicate an AP Racing shape they normally do - so improved replacements available, Disc  & caliper assembly weight. A group buy at around £1000 would be reasonable if the answers above are ok, they cost around £780 landed in the UK from the far east, the 330mm kit is only about £30 less iirc

If theres enough interest I've been thinking about running a group buy about the project Mu brakes being as they have a new UK distributor whos a mate. These are the previous VWR brakes they ditched due to lack of margin.

The boys over on uk-mkivs have these on the Bora of Win track car and it does remarkably well doing 20+ laps back to back no fade nor drama

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 11:56:58 am »
dave do you have a lik for the build thread on this bora, i wouldn't mind a read :happy2: :happy2:

h4rdy

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:54 pm »

Dont write them off just yet, we need to know piston sizes, supplied pad material, dust caps yes or no, does the pad shape replicate an AP Racing shape they normally do - so improved replacements available, Disc  & caliper assembly weight. A group buy at around £1000 would be reasonable if the answers above are ok, they cost around £780 landed in the UK from the far east, the 330mm kit is only about £30 less iirc

If theres enough interest I've been thinking about running a group buy about the project Mu brakes being as they have a new UK distributor whos a mate. These are the previous VWR brakes they ditched due to lack of margin.

The boys over on uk-mkivs have these on the Bora of Win track car and it does remarkably well doing 20+ laps back to back no fade nor drama

Dave, would this be similar to the K-Sport we discussed?

I emailed them but got no response so already on to a loser on that one I think.

Yes ok they were half the price but if no customer support then forget it I am afraid.

J

h4rdy

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 12:18:37 pm »
Just looked at project Mu website looks very nice, let us know Dave. J

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 11:37:49 am »
Link to the bora of win here http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/330392.aspx

Will do regarding the Project Mu brakes, Its something I want to do as I really rate those brakes but I lose momentum when I consider how much better they would be (they no doubt would be) over the NQSBBK and would they represent good value? Would they be twice as good?

Somebody with shallow pockets will want just a "named" bolt on BBK and as long as its less than the £1800 VWR were charging then hopefully it will stack up, the other problem is that the brakes need to be exported to Oz first before being exported to the EU hence two lots of duty.

The Project Mu stuff was really well regarded by those that had it fitted, JohnnyC really rates them which is testament enough for me

Be quiet at work soon I'll put a bit more effort in!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 11:51:22 am »
had a ride in the Bora of Win yesterday round combe. The brakes are excellent. Performance never faded during the session. They do say the pedal might start going a bit longer towards end of the day when the brakes have taken a pounding but I've gotta say they work big time. They had Pagid pads in there which prolly helps too.

Those Forge items looks very similar to the big Brembo 6 pots fitted to the TT Shop's lairy green TTRS and an APS customers vinly wrapped Matt Black TTRS.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:45:41 pm »
Given how my NQSBBK / Porker 4 pots performed at combe yesterday with the new J Hook discs I would strongly recommend these to anyone.  :happy2:

They had no fade during the day (I did 8 10 min sessions). They out braked Milltek's Golf R which was coming off after the session with lots of smoke from the 345mm standard brakes, they also reported fade after two and half laps.

The J hook rears also removed the issue I had previously at Silverstone with the rears overheating  :smiley:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 08:03:03 pm »
Good results Steve im dead chuffed, just out of curiosity.....

1. You still on the SBS pads did we get you grey or full on orange pads
2. Do you think the J hooking had an effect on the lack of fade
3. Compared to the 362mm AP Racing 6 pots on the standard DS2500 pads you had off me how do the porkers compare
4. Would the S3 rears help or hinder do you think.
5. 10 minute sessions = what say 6/7 laps??

One thing that I thought might be the weak link in the NQS BBK was the width of the disc at 25mm, a 10% increase in disc width to 28mm gives a 40% increase in the input energy to achieve the same temperature rise. One swallow does not make a summer but Im encouraged that we had multi sessions without any drama.

One thing we found with the Bora was that with the brakes just getting on with it, all the other elements of learning to drive on track came along no end, stringing 6-7 laps really helps with getting your lines sorted and it also lets you diagnose /improve  suspension issues for example. Its easier to consider other stuff when you're not worrying about ending up in the weeds cos your brakes have given in

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »
In answer to your questions: -

1 - SBS Grey pads are still installed.

2 - Yes the J Hooking has had an effect, the bite is far better at higher speed and the rears where not smoking after the session unlike at Silverstone with the plain discs.

3 - I miss the normal initial bite that the AP's under normal driving (but not the snatching when they had some heat in them), as I do find the porkers with the SBS grey's have a bit of a lack of bite. That said when they have some heat in them they feel great. The overall stopping power is less but not to the point I feel the porkers aren't more than up to the job.

4 - Taking yesterday as an example braking before quarry in the Golf R compared to mine did feel more flat and controlled so I would say they could be some benefit in the bigger rears but it would depend on the drivers preference. I am going to reserve judgement until my new suspension is installed and then might revisit the rears.

5 - Yes the sessions was 6 laps on average.

But all in all to be able to drive to the circuit, run the car most of the day and then drive on to Stokeballoon's for a top diner and some cider without having to get my hands dirty changing pads/discs, that's a winner for me  :happy2: