Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge Big Brake Kit. Is this a new product?  (Read 8053 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Forge Big Brake Kit. Is this a new product?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 08:41:37 pm »
I've driven the Bora of Win a few times on track, the brakes are superb for the money - I think the pedal issue they had was the fluid being god knows how many track days/Ring trips old.
Sideways yo!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:39 pm »
the extra weight in the R due to 4WD stuff may help it feel more settled on the rear end too under braking vs a FWD car like yours i'd imagine.

Also most cars braking into Avon Rise then Quarry gets unsettled on rear end due to the crest / undulation.  

I'd say your brakes worked very well even if it was only session 2 when u took me out.

You must have really caned it in the afternoon then to fit in 8 sessions! My brakes were done after 3 in July  :signLOL:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 08:58:09 pm »
I got a bit carried away in the afternoon as I want to see how much of a difference there was between the Golf R and mine, and we found on the straight mine was slightly quicker  :driver:

Then had two more sessions chasing a couple of S3, but neither would move out of the bloody way, which resulted in one of them being flagged.  :mad:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 09:01:00 pm »
 :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:49 pm »
who was driving the R?

i guess you now combe quite well   :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 09:07:43 pm »
Charlie  :happy2:

It was getting better and better all day, so thanks for your help at the start of the day  :smiley:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 09:12:50 pm »
no worries. thanks for the ride!

I reckon you need to have a go at Donny P next. You'll like that track!

You've just reminded me...i need to send Charlie an email.  :wink:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 09:15:25 pm »
But all in all to be able to drive to the circuit, run the car most of the day and then drive on to Stokeballoon's for a top diner and some cider without having to get my hands dirty changing pads/discs, that's a winner for me  :happy2:

Pretty much sums up a "clubman" sort of setup which is where I wanted it to pitch itself really, its nearest competition price wise is probably a R32 setup (albeit its cheaper but not by massive amounts) and sounds like it gave it a trouncing from a performance point of view.

h4rdy

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »
Dave, can you still supply the j-hook discs or if not can you put me in touch?

I have only just read your NQS BBK and am ashamed of that fact :ashamed:

I have a little plan as I can't make up my mind what I want and am running low on funds!

J

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 11:04:46 pm »
But all in all to be able to drive to the circuit, run the car most of the day and then drive on to Stokeballoon's for a top diner and some cider without having to get my hands dirty changing pads/discs, that's a winner for me  :happy2:

Pretty much sums up a "clubman" sort of setup which is where I wanted it to pitch itself really, its nearest competition price wise is probably a R32 setup (albeit its cheaper but not by massive amounts) and sounds like it gave it a trouncing from a performance point of view.

This is what I am after not quite Big Brake territory but above my current R32 setup as I bought replacement r32 discs and pads but dont want to fit them if I can get  a better setup
and all this porker brakes has me confused.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »
Dave, can you still supply the j-hook discs or if not can you put me in touch?

I have only just read your NQS BBK and am ashamed of that fact :ashamed:

I have a little plan as I can't make up my mind what I want and am running low on funds!

J

No probs mate - when you're ready just PM me - Im slowing down but not stopping......Its the 5 figure stock levels Ive sacked off  :indifferent:

@Keith - The choice is yours mate, from a pedal feel point of view I would say the smaller porsche 4 pots are better certainly better than the single piston R32 calipers. I would also say that it surpasses the overall level of braking on a smaller disc with much less weight so better value per £ / Per Kg.

Doesnt fill the wheel as well as the R32 stuff but its becoming apparent that aesthetics are tumbling down peoples wish lists over performance that matches driver ability with good road manners and good performance  :happy2:

The NQS Thread is one of the most read threads in the sites history

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »
Aesthetics will never go away...i would still prefer fancy 350+mm discs behind 19's  :signLOL:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:35 am »

I have to say that the NQSBBK porker calipers with the j-hooks at the front is perhaps the best mod that I have done given the disappointing performance of the stock brakes on my Octavia VRS....and that is coming from someone who has this purely for normal road use! :happy2: