Make a donation

Author Topic: Techno People - TV, Blue-ray, HD  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Techno People - TV, Blue-ray, HD
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:41:56 am »
Right, I have a super huge network hard drive, which has all my Blueray/HD film on.

I want to stream all my movies directly to the TV, but the PC is just a normal job'y - so don't think it's got the power needed without losing quality or freezing.
 I also have a PS3.

What is the best way of doing this keeping 100% quality and sound?? link it straight into the PS3, then PS3 to TV?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Ifti

Re: Techno People - TV, Blue-ray, HD
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:59:11 am »
Thats what I would do. Connect to PS3, and watch on TV through the PS3.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:07:06 am »
would it loose any quality or sound?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:49:14 am »
A lot of the newer TVs allow portable hard drives to be connected and natively playback AVIs, DivX, MKV, MPG, etc files.  That's what I do...save's faffing around with laptops, etc.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
Cool.

So,will this give me HIGH end pic with 5.1 sound? is this what I need to stream all my film directly while maintaing full sound/pics quality ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1TB-Iomega-ScreenPlay-Director-HD-Media-Player-34651-/280441929235?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item414ba43e13

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:44:21 pm »
Does your network hard drive support DLNA?  If so then the PS3 can stream directly from it and so can some newer Tv's

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 11:54:27 pm »
support DLNA? <<< not sure. What is DLNA

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:10:01 am »

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 08:15:25 am »
whats the make/model of your NAS?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:20 am »
Not got the NAS box yet, browsing them as we speak - trying to gert the right one. Been looking at the ones above....

been looking at something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-External-1TB-Media-Player-Wifi-1080P-Optical-/330253385178?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item4ce4a2bdda

Doesn't say if it DLNA or not, so I'm guessing not.

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 09:08:22 am »
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectdlna.html

check out this thread it shows you how to setup your ps3 to a drive via dlna, i would buy a buffalo or a mybookworld NAS purely because ive used them and know they work, if you get a raid or mirrored drive everything is backed up too. id be weary of chinese crap on ebay as they dont use any of the protocols (hdcp) for hdmi so while it might work on your sony tv it might not on your panasonic and vica versa. if you're gonna buy a media player use a known brand like western digital.

if you are gonna use the ps3 it can be a pain in the arse for this as it will only play certain file types and NOT avi's, you would need to convert the audio codec using something like ps3 video 9.

check out my companies website www.limegreen.tv we do loads of stuff like this all the time so if you need anymore help just let me know.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 09:34:49 am »
Decent NAS boxes - Buffalo do a live version which is single disk, I've had a couple and are ok - dual disk with RAID then a good choice is hte Netgear ReadyNAS DUO - currently with a free second Hard disk if you purchase before Dec - which makes it a great offer for what they are ( i have one of these and just supplied two to customers remote offices)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:38:16 am »
neg < Where from dude?

NOTE: Is a media player simply a hard drive with software? can this software be installed to my current 1tb hard drive?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:48:51 am by Johnny_tro »

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01:19 am »
1TB version - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/143121
2TB version - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186685

The DLNA software is built into the unit, you cant add it to a standard NAS drive at a later date - unless the manufacturer release it in a firmware update.

The Netgear units also have lots of other features, you can expand at a later date with larger disks, plug and play, sign up for readynas vault to online backups - schedule backup to one of the USB ports, lots of features.

The buffalo NAS is cheaper, single disk - does the job http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169011