Make a donation

Author Topic: TV Heads up 25/10/10 10pm: Frontline Battle Machines  (Read 11197 times)

Offline andyt13

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: TV Heads up 25/10/10 10pm: Frontline Battle Machines
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 05:56:55 pm »

im the bottom left guy with my face in my hands.  We got tasked with providing force preotection and cover for the helicopter landing sirte in Al Amarh.  this was happening about every 15 minutes.

I was in Iraq in 2003, and again in 2004-2005

The Sea King pictured is fitted with Non-Carson blades, slightly different profile.  But as you can see the Dust/sand gets everywhere, currently playing havoc with the Merlin engine.

Al Amarah was an awful place, spent quite a bit of time there.

mate i was in Al Amarh then aswell with 16 air assult brig we were on the main airfeild 63sqn R.L.C

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »
fair play to the chopper pilot though. fair play to Mike brewer as well.  he was sh!tting himself, we obviously go out there prepared and knowing what to expect.  I bet he didn't expect to be in that situation at all when they were planning the series.

Just one question.....in the final part of the programme where the RafReg were down the ramp firing the SA80 and the sqishy carbon based autopilot actuator was getting shot - why was there nobody on the minigun on either side of the a/c?   Please tell me that they're serviceable?

it didnt sound like it was firing.  you would here that thing if it was.  normally its the air crew who would operate them.  you can guarantee the 2 apaches weould have been giving it some though.

I prefer the ross kemp series so far though IMO.  its a much more REAL time idea of how it is there.  

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 06:02:37 pm »
I can't help noticing that 2.0T FSI platform cars are very popular among those guys in the Services - Quite a few of you guys on this forum  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 06:05:43 pm »
they're obviously paying us to much :grin:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 06:32:14 pm »
without blowing smoke up your arses, its nowhere near enough and no doubt money isnt the motivator when you're out there its your mates. But I'd be hoping that they're taking care of your wives and kids properly when you're away.

Good mate of mine is based at Middle Wallop but in previous postings the Married Quarters weren't "sparkling" by any means - you'd hope that would change in this day and age and the families have nothing to worry about apart from the obvious when you're away.

Spoke to QD about this a couple of times, I think everybody not involved in the military sometimes forgets theres a war on.......

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »

For all the squaddies/military types who are out there/been/going  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

+1 :congrats:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 06:47:40 pm »
no money is enough to justify the losses out there.  Dave Barnsdale a very very good friend of mine was the last soldier to die out there, its his repatriation on thursday.  Lived in the same room as him before i got my house, did 2 iraq tours with him and spent many a night on the piss with him, but never got to see him before he went back out to afghan.  He is the first guy i known personally die out there and nothing prepares you for that.

Offline TopsGTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 07:02:16 pm »

The Merlin is a great ASW aircraft, but not a battle field aircraft.

Ten down..engage caterpillar drive and you wafu's cant find us for toffee  :P

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 08:47:00 pm »

Ten down..engage caterpillar drive and you wafu's cant find us for toffee  :P

Maybe not the aircraft but on the right platform with 2087 and you'll get a run for your money  :fighting:   :signLOL:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:48:58 pm by vRStu »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 09:30:53 pm »
I love working with Blackhawks. Awesome machine especially if you get decent crews, which most of them are and will quite happily put a multi million dollar machine between you and the enemy.

Thats me sat in the doorway going out on a job

However there is nothing more comforting than having one of these in your back pocket. The crew were showing off and followed us for around 10 miles like that. Quite amusing watching TT looking up in the air only to find an Apache appear at head height  :signLOL:

This particular baby saved me and my mates a few times. Oh and she has a female pilot who im sure is on permanent Jap Flag week with the kill count she has. Even Rambo would be impressed  :grin:

This was a particularly close call from one of my trips  :laugh:

no money is enough to justify the losses out there.  Dave Barnsdale a very very good friend of mine was the last soldier to die out there, its his repatriation on thursday.  Lived in the same room as him before i got my house, did 2 iraq tours with him and spent many a night on the piss with him, but never got to see him before he went back out to afghan.  He is the first guy i known personally die out there and nothing prepares you for that.

I know how you feel mate. I have lost quite a few friends out there (a few of which died in front of me) one of the hardest things for me was when myself & the other medic in the team personally kept 2 lads alive for 40mins on the ground whilst in contact (they had both lost both legs and an arm) only to find they died on the Pedro on the way to Bastion. The worst sound in the world is the silence after an explosion. At least if they scream you know they have a chance.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 09:41:48 pm »
I love working with Blackhawks. Awesome machine especially if you get decent crews, which most of them are and will quite happily put a multi million dollar machine between you and the enemy.

Thats me sat in the doorway going out on a job

However there is nothing more comforting than having one of these in your back pocket. The crew were showing off and followed us for around 10 miles like that. Quite amusing watching TT looking up in the air only to find an Apache appear at head height  :signLOL:

This particular baby saved me and my mates a few times. Oh and she has a female pilot who im sure is on permanent Jap Flag week with the kill count she has. Even Rambo would be impressed  :grin:

This was a particularly close call from one of my trips  :laugh:

I know how you feel mate. I have lost quite a few friends out there (a few of which died in front of me) one of the hardest things for me was when myself & the other medic in the team personally kept 2 lads alive for 40mins on the ground whilst in contact (they had both lost both legs and an arm) only to find they died on the Pedro on the way to Bastion. The worst sound in the world is the silence after an explosion. At least if they scream you know they have a chance.

I take my hat off to all still serving what ever service they belong too. :notworthy: I you don't realise what true friends are until you've served in the forces  :drinking:

With both myself and Mrs Choppers now de-mobbed (although Mrs Choppers still works inside the wire... :smiley:) I still have active interest in all things aviation, Mrs Choppers still calls me a NATO Potatoe.. :signLOL: So the pictures are very welcome and give Joe Public an idea of the conditions out there in Afganistan.... :surprised:

Cheers,

Wayne

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:23 pm »
PC meets an Apache Pilot

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2010, 10:12:14 pm »

....Not meaning any disrespect but that pic needs a caption! Just where is Charley about to place his hands!?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 10:16:56 pm »
Humbling Pics, just hope you all stay safe.

You see these young lads off to war aged 18-20 and then see hoody wearing little pricks that would key your car for a bit of fun.

I'd love to be in a position to help them out one day.

Moschops you in the RAF? were you a steeley eyed flyboy?

PS QD Great pic!  :signLOL:

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2010, 10:28:24 pm »
if thats a uk apache i prob had a hand in building and testing it lol
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp