Make a donation

Author Topic: tyre advice for new member  (Read 4468 times)

Offline danceswithhorses

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
tyre advice for new member
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »
Hi All,
Ok, ive had my mk5 for 3 weeks now, and am really enjoying it  :driver:  :happy2:
However, i need new tyres, as am getting tyre noise (see condition of rear tyre below)

Front 2 are Dunlop sp sport maxx, 225/45 (z?)r 17 94y's....tread depth 4/4/4
Back 2 are Dunlop sp sport 01A, 225/45 (z?)r 91w's...........tread depth 4/4/4 but going out of shape on inner edge and need changing.

Having perused the forum, one thing is clear....Dunlops are not popular lol
Will therefore be looking at Michelin ps2's/goodyear eagle f1's or vredestein ultrac sessantas...unless there is anything better out there ??
BUT, is it ok to just replace the back 2 for now, then replace the front 2 to match when necessary ??
Any help or advice for this newbie would be much appreciated  :wink:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: tyre advice for new member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:17 pm »
Hi - and welcome to the forum.  :happy2:

Hi All,
Ok, ive had my mk5 for 3 weeks now, and am really enjoying it  :driver:  :happy2:
However, i need new tyres, as am getting tyre noise (see condition of rear tyre below)

Whilst not being the 'best' tyres for the GTI, they are pefectly legal and safe to keep using.

Back 2 are Dunlop sp sport 01A, 225/45 (z?)r 91w's...........tread depth 4/4/4 but going out of shape on inner edge and need changing.
I think the bold bit highlighted is the primary cause of adverse wear.  The GTI should be run on 'extra load' tyres, identified by 'XL' in the tyre size.  Your rear tyres do not have an adequate enough load carrying capacity.  And the 'W' speed index is too low as well.  If you have tyres with a load index too low, and/or a speed rating too low - then there is a high chance of making your insurance invalid.

These should really be changed - and make sure you only get extra load and Y rated tyres.

Agreed.  OK, they are 'adequate' - but there are certainly much better tyres, more suited to the GTI.

Will therefore be looking at Michelin ps2's/goodyear eagle f1's or vredestein ultrac sessantas...unless there is anything better out there ??
Don't forget the very latest Michelin PS3s, or the Conti SportContact3s (but avoid the SportContact2s).  At the end of the day, you need to be honest with yourself - in how you drive the car, and more importantly - what you expect from the tyres.  And then you'll be better equiped to make a more appropriate choice.

BUT, is it ok to just replace the back 2 for now, then replace the front 2 to match when necessary ??
It is perfectly acceptable, and normal practice - to just replace two tyres on an axle.  And it is also OK to have different types and makes of tyres between front and rear too.  OK, there are some very rare issues when mixing very specific tyres may cause issues - but with your Dunflops on the front, then PS2/PS3 or CSC3 on the rear will be perfectly OK.

Any good?  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:57:45 pm »

Any help or advice for this newbie would be much appreciated  :wink:

....Yes, as T_T says. BUT don't mix Asymmetrics with Directionals - It can confuse the ESP which then throws random wobblies at you.. Not reassuring!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »

Any help or advice for this newbie would be much appreciated  :wink:

....Yes, as T_T says. BUT don't mix Asymmetrics with Directionals - It can confuse the ESP which then throws random wobblies at you.. Not reassuring!
That was unique to Goodyear. :P  Mixing Dunlop directionals with Michelin asymmetrics causes no such issues.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »

That was unique to Goodyear. :P  Mixing Dunlop directionals with Michelin asymmetrics causes no such issues.

....Interesting to learn that  :happy2:

GY Technical reckoned my problem was tyre wall related rather than tread pattern.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:17:50 pm »

That was unique to Goodyear. :P  Mixing Dunlop directionals with Michelin asymmetrics causes no such issues.

....Interesting to learn that  :happy2:

GY Technical reckoned my problem was tyre wall related rather than tread pattern.
I think we all know that Goodyears are vastly over-rated, and have a pretty poor attitude towards customer service.  Many peeps have now 'seen the light'. :wink:
------

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:28 pm »

I think we all know that Goodyears are vastly over-rated, and have a pretty poor attitude towards customer service.  Many peeps have now 'seen the light'. :wink:

....Actually my personal experience of customer service with Goodyear-Dunlop has been excellent. Their ability to supply tyres has been poor though.

I'm going to try the PS3's next but otherwise I would continue with the GY F1 Asymmetrics.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:35:40 pm »

....Actually my personal experience of customer service with Goodyear-Dunlop has been excellent.
How can that be?  There was a widely known problem with the F1 Asymms, and Goodyear themselves knew - but they basically did Jack Schit to rectify it.

If that had occured with Michelin, a quick fone call to either Michelin UK or Michelin France, and either a new pair, or a new set of 4 would be winging their way FOC.  Been there, done that - which is why I generally have extremely high praise of Michelin.

Their ability to supply tyres has been poor though.
Whadya mean?  Out of stock or something else? :confused:

I'm going to try the PS3's next but otherwise I would continue with the GY F1 Asymmetrics.
You know you too want to see the light!  :evilgrin:
------

Offline danceswithhorses

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:36:37 pm »
Hi - and welcome to the forum.  :happy2:

Hi All,

Whilst not being the 'best' tyres for the GTI, they are pefectly legal and safe to keep using.

I think the bold bit highlighted is the primary cause of adverse wear.  The GTI should be run on 'extra load' tyres, identified by 'XL' in the tyre size.  Your rear tyres do not have an adequate enough load carrying capacity.  And the 'W' speed index is too low as well.  If you have tyres with a load index too low, and/or a speed rating too low - then there is a high chance of making your insurance invalid.

These should really be changed - and make sure you only get extra load and Y rated tyres.

Agreed.  OK, they are 'adequate' - but there are certainly much better tyres, more suited to the GTI.

Don't forget the very latest Michelin PS3s, or the Conti SportContact3s (but avoid the SportContact2s).  At the end of the day, you need to be honest with yourself - in how you drive the car, and more importantly - what you expect from the tyres.  And then you'll be better equiped to make a more appropriate choice.

It is perfectly acceptable, and normal practice - to just replace two tyres on an axle.  And it is also OK to have different types and makes of tyres between front and rear too.  OK, there are some very rare issues when mixing very specific tyres may cause issues - but with your Dunflops on the front, then PS2/PS3 or CSC3 on the rear will be perfectly OK.

Any good?  :smiley:

Many thanks for the advice TT  :wink:
Tomorrow im out to get some Michelin ps3's for the rear...XL and Y rated
ATS seem to be doing a deal on 2 and 4 tyre deals, so will give them a try (did i read that they're owned by Michelin?)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:21 am »
Before you go to ATS (yes, they are owned by Michelin), try a few of the online sites, so you get a ball-park figure.  It's fine that ATS do a deal on 2 or 4 tyres, but if their base price is high in the first place, you wont really gain much from their discount.
------

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:00 am »
Before you go to ATS (yes, they are owned by Michelin), try a few of the online sites, so you get a ball-park figure.  It's fine that ATS do a deal on 2 or 4 tyres, but if their base price is high in the first place, you wont really gain much from their discount.

Agreed.  :happy2:  You will save more money if you buy online at somewhere like Tyretraders.com and then click on local fitting.

MICHELIN 225/40R18 92Y PILOT SPORT 3   £137 each (price includes fitting at your local tyre garage)

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=225&ratio=40&rim=18&man=Michelin&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=2&cat=All&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All

There are loads of online tyre suppliers that do this. Just have a search.  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:39 am »

I think we all know that Goodyears are vastly over-rated, and have a pretty poor attitude towards customer service.  Many peeps have now 'seen the light'. Wink

....Actually my personal experience of customer service with Goodyear-Dunlop has been excellent.

How can that be?  There was a widely known problem with the F1 Asymms, and Goodyear themselves knew - but they basically did Jack Schit to rectify it.

....What was this "widely known problem"?  :surprised:

GY 'looked after me' with tyres.  :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:54:30 am »
would also recommend, used them a few times and so far theyve been superb , coming to the house to fit tyres.
http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/
(they only list the W speed rating but they also supply Y rating at same price)

4 PS3's are £560 , with £40 back in sainsburys vouchers.
mine are being fitted today!
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:37 am »
Based on info posted so far, can you mix PS3's with GY F1's? (Both asymmetric and only per axle of course).  :happy2:

If so, I can metamorphasise into Michelin man:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 10:15:57 am »

I think we all know that Goodyears are vastly over-rated, and have a pretty poor attitude towards customer service.  Many peeps have now 'seen the light'. Wink

....What was this "widely known problem"?  :surprised:
Oh come on Robin - don't burry your head in the sand.  :chicken:

The snatching issues, the interferrance with the ESP.  And all the faults which were reported on Evos long term R32 test - and these issues were echoed by other mags and users too.  :sick:

GY 'looked after me' with tyres.  :happy2:
Really - you must have a very strange opinion of what being 'looked after' is!  Just because someone talks to you nicely down one end of the fone - in my book, that is NOT being looked after, if they don't then follow up with hard and fast ACTION.  Goodyear did sweet FA with your problem, just like they did sweet FA with problems reported by the likes of Evo.

There have been many, many peeps - on many forums which got sucked in by the Goodyear hype - yet many have since moved on to Mich PS2s - and state they are massively better tyres.

Anyway lets not trash a thread, especially for a new forum member. :happy2:
------