yes  ilegal
2 (3.2%)
ilegal but i will take the chance anyway
8 (12.7%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: November 02, 2010, 08:59:37 pm

Author Topic: ilegal plates on you mk5 gti  (Read 16370 times)

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: ilegal plates on you mk5 gti
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:08 am »

Yeah ive heard that they are legal. They do look good and id like to use them... but CBA getting pulled over by the feds!

You should be alright with them then, There are no 'Feds' in the UK, they are all in America!!!  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2010, 03:17:38 pm »
Did someone mention Feds?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Saint Steve

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2010, 06:01:38 pm »
I was thinking of getting some dubmeister pressed plates... ( UK font, correct spacing etc)... what are peoples views on these?
I was thinking of getting some dubmeister pressed plates... ( UK font, correct spacing etc)... what are peoples views on these?
They are supposed to be 100% legal - but I recall someone had 'issues' with the old bill.

As pictured in my sig.... Totally Legal

with Plate surround around £35ish for both front+back.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 06:03:26 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2010, 07:44:48 pm »
They are supposed to be 100% legal - but I recall someone had 'issues' with the old bill.

Wasn't aware anything other than the 'Euro' flag were legal on a UK number plate Steve? Whats that bit in red you have?  :confused:

Saint Steve

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2010, 08:28:49 pm »

Wasn't aware anything other than the 'Euro' flag were legal on a UK number plate Steve? Whats that bit in red you have?  :confused:

It has the Euro flag on them Nathan, just hidden behind my Favorite football teams Badge sticker in red.

So they are still legal  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:31:08 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »

Wasn't aware anything other than the 'Euro' flag were legal on a UK number plate Steve? Whats that bit in red you have?  :confused:
They relaxed the 'flag' laws a couple of years ago - you can now have national flags, and (I think) even localised flags, such as Kernow.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2010, 09:00:31 pm »

They relaxed the 'flag' laws a couple of years ago - you can now have national flags, and (I think) even localised flags, such as Kernow.

Yes TT you may be correct, but Steve you may want to pay attention to the last sentence..........

''On 28 December 2001, the Government announced the intention to permit the display of national flags and national identifiers on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc. are not allowed.''

Saint Steve

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

Yes TT you may be correct, but Steve you may want to pay attention to the last sentence..........

''On 28 December 2001, the Government announced the intention to permit the display of national flags and national identifiers on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc. are not allowed.''

Sorry Nathan, but the sticker does infact have a GB badge displayed on it below the Teams badge :innocent:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2010, 09:14:27 pm »

Sorry Nathan, but the sticker does infact have a GB badge displayed on it below the Teams badge :innocent:

Don't be sorry mate, just letting you know it may not be 100% legal, but ultimately your choice chap!  :happy2:

Saint Steve

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:18 pm »

Legal :wink:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2010, 11:25:13 pm »
National flags and identifiers

Motorists in England, Scotland and Wales have the option to display the Union Flag, Cross of St George, Cross of St Andrew (also known as the Saltire) or Red Dragon of Wales together with one of the following identifiers: GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain, GB, UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom, UK, CYMRU, Cymru, CYM, Cym, ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng, SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO, Sco, WALES or Wales. This must be displayed on the left hand side of the number plate. No other symbols or flags can be displayed on number plates.

The flag must be positioned above the identifier and neither must be more than 50 millimetres wide or on the number plate margin.

Motorists displaying national flags and identifiers will still be required to display the standard GB sticker when travelling in Europe.

clicky

I think Saint Steve is indicating that technically his plates are legal. He just covered the flag bit up with a  sticker (hence technically making it illegal) but can remove it to make it legal.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2010, 08:31:10 am »
Depending on the year of manufacture, the law varies but as all mk5's are post 2001 all number plates must be retro reflective. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the pressed plates a flat, non-reflective surface and therefore illegal?

Saint Steve

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:21 am »
Depending on the year of manufacture, the law varies but as all mk5's are post 2001 all number plates must be retro reflective. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the pressed plates a flat, non-reflective surface and therefore illegal?

They are reflective ???  :confused:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2010, 10:13:30 am »

i'd read about this somewhere but couldn't find it as it was why i didn't go pressed on the rocco

Saint Steve

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2010, 10:25:13 am »
Where does it say Not legal on Dubmeisters web site then??

They would land themselves in alot of trouble Mis-leading customers if they were not the required spec to pass British Law.