Make a donation

Author Topic: Petrol prices!!  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Petrol prices!!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 05:28:04 pm »
At least I don't have to put 99 ron in any more :evilgrin:

Not fast enough to warrant it :sad1:
Golf R gone.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 01:35:51 am »
This was the main reason why i sold my Golf 1.8T and bought a Diesel. My daily commute is a 70 mile round trip and was costing my up to £300 to £350 a month, loved the car but couldn't justify the running costs. Sold the Golf a couple of weeks ago and bought the Jetta to replace it. The jetta is a more comfortable drive and has more gadgets but it's no GTi!

2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:33:56 am »
Typical British though... we are all complaining and moaning on here... but we never do anything about it
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 11:50:42 am »
This was the main reason why i sold my Golf 1.8T and bought a Diesel. My daily commute is a 70 mile round trip and was costing my up to £300 to £350 a month, loved the car but couldn't justify the running costs. Sold the Golf a couple of weeks ago and bought the Jetta to replace it. The jetta is a more comfortable drive and has more gadgets but it's no GTi!

What's the average MPG working out to be?

Offline Hendo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:51 pm »
Am I the only person on the site who doesn't care about the cost of petrol and thinks it's fairly inexpensive?

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 05:14:17 pm »
Am I the only person on the site who doesn't care about the cost of petrol and thinks it's fairly inexpensive?

Nope, but then I don't do big miles...

I also work in the oil industry so if the increase is due to the oil price rising,  it generally means a bigger bonus is coming  :signLOL:

But yeah, when you consider the insane amount of effort it takes to get a litre of fuel to the pump vs say a litre of milk to the fridge ... its pretty damn cheap in the scheme of things.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline bindinbear

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Newbie lovin' the edition 30
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 05:36:00 pm »
TBH You can't buy a GTI and then complain about how much it costs to run. According to my mfd I get 26.9 mpg round town which is naff really compared to a diesel but I knew this when I bought it and the smile that the car, even in standard form brings to my face when I drive it is priceless! :driver: :smiley: you could just buy a prius :signLOL:
08' Edition 30 no.1899. 5dr steel grey DSG. MFSW, xenons, sunroof, rns510, ipod prep, armrest, voice activation, bluetooth, parking sensors.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
TBH You can't buy a GTI and then complain about how much it costs to run. According to my mfd I get 26.9 mpg round town which is naff really compared to a diesel but I knew this when I bought it and the smile that the car, even in standard form brings to my face when I drive it is priceless! :driver: :smiley: you could just buy a prius :signLOL:
You are right, you cannot buy one of these and complain about economy. I used my GTI to drive 800 miles per week and to be honest, it's not bad at all on fuel. I got between 30 and 36mpg average which probably does not work out any cheaper then my diesel! I get about 36mpg average in my 330cd but if you factor in the fuel cost difference (5p per litre here), the GTI is just as cheap to run!

Offline Hendo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 06:11:47 pm »
In general if you look at the cost over a mile it's not that bad.  I think the AA says it cost an average of about 12p worth of petrol to drive a mile not including road tax, cost of car etc.

If you said to to some who had a push bike here's 40p to take me and 2 friends with our bags 2 miles down the road they'd tell you where to go.

Once were all driving electric cars we wont be able to moan about the cost of fuel. :smiley:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:45 pm »
Once were all driving electric cars we wont be able to moan about the cost of fuel. :smiley:
Maybe not, but we certainly WILL moan about the price of electricity as your electric bill will go through the roof when you're charging your car every night!

Offline Hendo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:59 pm »
Ah don't worry about electric prices we'll get on of those things you sit on the dashboard the charges your mobile phone but instead of connecting it to the phone it will go straight into the car.  lol

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0d6tog3fn8gh5aid9h6gude02s&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 12:53:56 am »
Typical British though... we are all complaining and moaning on here... but we never do anything about it

And what do you suggest we do??

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 10:43:37 am »

Ride naked on horse back in protest like lady Godiva!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 12:02:40 pm »

I know what we could do, blockade the fuel depots like they did last time.  :laugh:
Except I think they made that an act of terrorism or something similar as it effects the infrastructure of the nation so you'd find yourself inside being bummed by your new 'friend' quicker than a 'quiet' night at Michael Barrymores

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 12:55:09 pm »
Its up to £1.209 for Tesco 99 here now, altho havent filled up for a few days so it might have crept up a little.
I dont really mind it tho, i dont do a lot of miles but if i do a longer trip i can just do it a little slower if i want, thats the beauty of these cars... get 20's for fun driving but can get high 30's if you're sensibly cruising along, its a real Jeckyl and Hyde car which i love!
Ant