Make a donation

Author Topic: Petrol prices!!  (Read 9011 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hcg7kqoeq99ad97c0jkp5d83qm&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Petrol prices!!
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2010, 12:25:26 am »

For those people moaning about people moaning about how much it costs to run a car you need to read the first post again...i'm moaning about the price of a litre of petrol and not the running costs or mpg. If you spent nearly £4k a year on fuel you wouldn't like it either.

....I've never bothered to calculate what I spend a year on fuel - What's the point if you enjoy the car?

So true.... i will spend approx 5-6K this year! I knew this before i bought my GTI. If i hadnt been determined to have one I would be spending half that in my old diesel.... but wheres the fun in that??

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2010, 02:04:55 pm »

£1.28 for V-Power at a motorway service station earlier this week....£71 to fill up!

....Shell term a "fill up" as anything over 25 litres, so the trick to maximise your V-Power points (and more fuel vouchers) is to only fill up just over 25 litres each time and not run down to empty and fill to brim.

That would be a good trick if I collected the points :grin:

....  :surprised: There's no reason not to collect the points if you regularly use V-Power. You just ask for a membership card and get your card swiped whenever you buy V-Power. Set your preferences to 'points for fuel' and you'll automatically receive vouchers by post. Depending on your mileage you might get a free tankful in a month. Even a tenner's worth helps. The free quarterly glossy mag is quite good too.

I don't use Shell regularly because my nearest one is about 20 miles away.  So not much point in me having a loyalty card (although I didn't know they did them so might get one next time I'm in a Shell garage so I can claim a handle of points over 20 years :grin:)

FOR SALE!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 03:35:41 pm »
I was finally contacted by Shell who state they will look into my case.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2010, 06:18:09 pm »
So does anyone reckon fuel will dip below a pound again? Or I am being too optimistic?  :sad1:

Offline Hendo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2010, 06:58:21 pm »
Well if you were the government or oil company and you were selling just as much if not more petrol @ £1.20 a lt as you were @ 99p a lt would you put the price down?

Nasir

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 07:23:33 pm »
Well if you were the government or oil company and you were selling just as much if not more petrol @ £1.20 a lt as you were @ 99p a lt would you put the price down?

It's very political, in short fuel is inelastic. But more people would buy the fuel at 99p because they'd make that journey in the car instead of the bus etc. Also the government has gone all out on this CO2 BS so cutting the price would be admitting it is a lie (which it is).

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:07 pm »

....I forget the actual figures but for every litre we buy at the pump the oil company only makes a few pence and the lion's share is stolen by the govn'ment.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 12:13:48 am »

....I forget the actual figures but for every litre we buy at the pump the oil company only makes a few pence and the lion's share is stolen by the govn'ment.

yeah it is something like 85p per litre in duty alone - and that is without drilling, refinement and transportation costs - then everyone in the supply chain has to have a piece of the profit, so price ain't going down any time soon. :sad1:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:20:03 am by Hurdy »
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hcg7kqoeq99ad97c0jkp5d83qm&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 12:16:23 am »
Lets get real..... it will not fall again... it will get progressively more expensive!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2010, 12:21:33 am »
Lets get real..... it will not fall again... it will get progressively more expensive!

......and then when everyone is forced into the devil that is diesel, they will make diesel even more expensive to use :fighting:
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2010, 08:49:16 am »
Well they have already done that to an extent, because diesel was cheaper than petrol until everyone and their dog bought TDI'S!

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:17 pm »
The other factor that makes quite a difference is the currency markets.  Oil is bought and sold in dollars and there was a little bubble earlier in the year where the dollar cost didn't change much but value of the dollar did (fell iirc) and it pushed petrol up quite a bit...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2010, 01:43:10 pm »
As some of you may know, I've been driving an EV we've been developing at work for the last few months, using my GTI only on weekends or whatever... I had to fill her up for the first time in a few weeks, and was shocked, almost £60 for 40 litres!  :surprised:

EV makes more and more sense.

Once were all driving electric cars we wont be able to moan about the cost of fuel. :smiley:
Maybe not, but we certainly WILL moan about the price of electricity as your electric bill will go through the roof when you're charging your car every night!

Assuming I've used a full charge throughout the day (for my commute there and back, I only use about 60%) then recharging the battery overnight works out to approximately 50pence a night. That's my normal drive cycle (drive to work - then to home - then charge overnight) and whatever way you look at it, it's helluva lot cheaper than a petrol or diseasal.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2010, 02:41:17 pm »
Sorry Neo but......

:signLOL:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »
Sorry Neo but......

We ran our EV and our E-REV series hybrid at the Brighton to London Future Car Challenge over the weekend... I drove the EV. Managed to overtake a couple of diesels!  :signLOL:

(our E-REV won the award for best E-REV incidentally  :laugh: )