Make a donation

Author Topic: newbe to the machine stuff!  (Read 1261 times)

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
newbe to the machine stuff!
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:34 pm »
go easy on me guys!!

looking to start detailing with this starter kit:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/das-6-dual-action-polisher-meguiars-kit/prod_521.html

reading on here and other places, 'normally' one compound colour matches to the corresponding pad to apply with...

in this bundle there are 3 pads and 2 compounds. Which would go with which?

would a sealant be needed or something like poorboys black hole glaze

thanks for any input.
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: newbe to the machine stuff!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:15:59 pm »
The DAS polisher is a good one for beginners. You need to read up on machine polishing but this should be good for starting: clicky

If you're gonna get into detailing, which you seem to be, you need to join up on Detailing World and have a browse. Look through recent threads and posts, especially the help and Guides sections.

You can essentially use any pad with any polish to provide varying cuts of polish but have a read on how to do it properly. Both items in the link are polishes - one's more aggressive and one's more for finishing, I think.

You would follow up with a glaze say Lime Prime Lite, and then a sealant such as FK1000P, Jetseal 109 or any of the other sealants. Finally finish with a wax of your choice. Remember to prep the surface first which means:

- prewash +/- allpurpose cleaner or traffic film remover
- two bucket method wash. Prior to polishing, I do this twice.
- clay the car thoroughly
- dry and then tape up the car. Polish can get on to black plastic and be difficult to remove. If you don't tape up where there are edges, you can drag dirt out.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.