Make a donation

Author Topic: Tardis anyone used?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 4
Tardis anyone used?
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:52:51 am »
Hi,

Hoping to put the winter coat on the car this weekend.  intending to do the below by hand:

snowfoam
2 bucket wash with BTBM
clay
re-wash
Blackhole
Blackfire

Being advised to used tardis.  I'm  little hesitiant in using a strong chemical being a bit of beginner.  Car is currently wearing lusso wax applied a little while ago.  Anyone else used Tardis or have done something similar and just used clay to strip the previous wax.  The car currently is not a daily runner and therefore has no tar spots

Cheers

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Tardis anyone used?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:08:17 am »
Then why use Tardis? My car is a daily runner and despite that, Tardis had a small effect. I sprayed it on to the lower edges (sills, bumpers, lower halves of doors etc), left it to dwell and then rinsed it off. Do it after claying IMO.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:21:26 am »
That was my thoughts, being advised to ensure all previous products are stripped.

Was feeling a little un-comforatble with it to be honest which is why i wanted to checkto see if anyone else used it.  Think I will just go with the claying as strong products like Tardis worry me a little

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:27:15 am »
Jay advised me to use diluted APC (All Purpose Cleaner) to remove previous wax layers and products might be a better call I would imagine its probably cheaper too, and has more uses depending on the dilution used.  cleaning seats, engine bay wheel arches. 

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:39:36 am »
I have used Tardis in the past as a tar spot remover.  Used only in very localised areas, and not sprayed lliberally all over.

Tardis is excellent at removing tar from the inside of wheels.

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:27:04 am »
To remove wax i clay with washing up liquid. Tardis is fine to use on paint but i wouldnt let it near door or window seals

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:38 pm »
To remove the layer of wax, nothing more needed than a strong concentrate wash solution then a good clay.

I use Tardis to remove tar spots, mainly on the lower door panels, its great stuff, perfect addition to any detailing collection.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »
To remove wax i clay with washing up liquid. Tardis is fine to use on paint but i wouldnt let it near door or window seals

But you will put washing up liquid on your paint, theres salt in it which causes oxidization of your paint
Tardis great for tar just be carful around glued on spoilers and trim but otherwise a good product, valet pro do a good one as well with a nicer smell. And you dont need to buy 5L.

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 10:43:36 pm »

But you will put washing up liquid on your paint, theres salt in it which causes oxidization of your paint
Tardis great for tar just be carful around glued on spoilers and trim but otherwise a good product, valet pro do a good one as well with a nicer smell. And you dont need to buy 5L.
Yikes I didnt know that. Thanks :happy2:

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 08:20:45 am »
Thanks everyone.  Much appreciated.

Decided to leave that step and just order blackfire.

lets hoping this weekends weather is ok.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:34 am »
Saturday seems to be the best bet at the moment, look forward to some piccies after  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 09:46:37 am »
Sure will just waiting for the products to drop onto my desk at work  :party:

Offline hammyhammer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »
Sadly the products did not arrive on Fri due to an incompetantce of the delivery person.  In the end went with:

Wash 2 bucket method with BTBM
Megs Clay kit (was over genrous with lub went through 1.5 bottles  :surprised:)
Re wash 2 bucket method
Dry
Roll the car in the garrage
1 coat of Blackhole
1 coat of Lusso
Tyres dressed with Megs endurance
Plastics treated to PB Natural looking

Sadly I don't have any after pics as claying took me 4 hours  :surprised: Think it was the ton of QD i used to stop any marring, although there was alot more contimination that I thought.  Like all details it seems to be dark when you finish even if you start at first light.  yesterday was tipping down and this morning was fog and dark  :sad:

I will grab some this weekend hopefully when I re-wash and apply a second layer of Lusso

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 07:18:52 pm »
If the car's never been clayed then the first clay will always be the hardest/longest. After that, if you keep on top of the car (ie clay and polish max twice a year), it will be a lot easier.

When I first clayed, I found I used a lot of lube too but now use much less - you get a feel for how much you need. Certainly never used more than 3/4 of a bottle. In future, you can use Bilt Hamber clays which need only water as lubrication. Personally, I use Dodo Juice Born Slippy which acts as lube and cleaner, though can be expensive.

You'll speed up as you continue detailing as you'll prepare everything beforehand and know what to do next without having to think about it much. My first detail took me all day. Most recently, I did a snowfoam/2BM wash/clay/hand cleanse/wax/windows/trim/wheels/tyres all in about 4-5 hours. I started at 6am that day!

Detailing is more difficult in winter due to shorter days and terrible conditions. This is why I did my last thorough detail back in September when the days were still relatively long. This weekend, I got the car out and went over it. Two hours to snowfoam, wash, dry and rewax, including getting equipment out and putting everything away.

Keep at it!  :happy2:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 07:26:07 pm »
If the car's never been clayed then the first clay will always be the hardest/longest. After that, if you keep on top of the car (ie clay and polish max twice a year), it will be a lot easier.

When I first clayed, I found I used a lot of lube too but now use much less - you get a feel for how much you need. Certainly never used more than 3/4 of a bottle. In future, you can use Bilt Hamber clays which need only water as lubrication. Personally, I use Dodo Juice Born Slippy which acts as lube and cleaner, though can be expensive.You'll speed up as you continue detailing as you'll prepare everything beforehand and know what to do next without having to think about it much. My first detail took me all day. Most recently, I did a snowfoam/2BM wash/clay/hand cleanse/wax/windows/trim/wheels/tyres all in about 4-5 hours. I started at 6am that day!

Detailing is more difficult in winter due to shorter days and terrible conditions. This is why I did my last thorough detail back in September when the days were still relatively long. This weekend, I got the car out and went over it. Two hours to snowfoam, wash, dry and rewax, including getting equipment out and putting everything away.

Keep at it!  :happy2:

I always thought the born slippy was a good price 6.95 for the 250ml concentrate that makes 2.5L