Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 204265 times)

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #465 on: October 30, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »
I've spoken to two dealers about this, the earliest I could get booked in was the 4th December...

I was told categorically by the warranty guy that on a 55 plate car VW will not offer more than 50% goodwill, and won't take into consideration that the car only has 36k on the clock.

Obviously this isn't good enough, so in the mean time should I get on to VW customer service and make life difficult for them? Or should I wait until the inspection is carried out and try then? Obviously want to get the ball rolling if I'm waiting 5 weeks to even get the car seen....

Cheers
'06 Tornado Red 5 door manual

Can help with or fit VCDS / Cruise control / CAN gateways / RNS in North East

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #466 on: October 30, 2013, 12:43:15 pm »
Friend just had a '54' plate with 108K fixed, new wing, sill repaired and boot repair. Other wing declined due to previous paint.

I would not accept it and escalate the matter with VW HQ.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #467 on: October 30, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »
Friend just had a '54' plate with 108K fixed, new wing, sill repaired and boot repair. Other wing declined due to previous paint.

I would not accept it and escalate the matter with VW HQ.

That's great to know they're still doing the full 100%. Did he/she have to fight for it?

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #468 on: October 30, 2013, 12:56:08 pm »
Yes, at first only offered 50%, but told them, thanks for wasting his time. 'sorry sir, give me 5 minutes', rang him back, sorted, with courtesy car and all done within two weeks.

:happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #469 on: October 30, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

I've spoken to two dealers about this, the earliest I could get booked in was the 4th December...

I was told categorically by the warranty guy that on a 55 plate car VW will not offer more than 50% goodwill, and won't take into consideration that the car only has 36k on the clock.

....You're going all about this wrong. Have you not read any of this thread? I know it's now 32 pages, but.

THE VW MK5 WINGS RUST ISSUE IS NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE.

Sorry to be so impatient but it gets mighty tedious and a waste of time explaining this time after time after time just because some folks don't bother to read a thread.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #470 on: October 30, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

....You're going all about this wrong. Have you not read any of this thread? I know it's now 32 pages, but.

THE VW MK5 WINGS RUST ISSUE IS NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE.

Sorry to be so impatient but it gets mighty tedious and a waste of time explaining this time after time after time just because some folks don't bother to read a thread.

I know it isn't treated as a warranty issue. I read all 32 pages last night and an extra 20-ish on other forums, actually. I spoke to the warranty guy because he was the person I was directed to after explaining the situation to the dealer. I assume that's because he's responsible for sending claims to VW (he explained that on the phone). The fact that he is the 'warranty guy' is irrelevant, really - I didn't ask to make a warranty claim. As it happens, the bloke I dealt with and the dealer he works at is specifically mentioned earlier in this thread as an example of 100% goodwill!

Maybe I'm forgetting something after 2 and a half hours of reading, but if I'm 'going about it all wrong' by talking to the guy who sorts this stuff out what should I be doing instead!

Cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #471 on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:24 pm »

Maybe I'm forgetting something after 2 and a half hours of reading, but if I'm 'going about it all wrong' by talking to the guy who sorts this stuff out what should I be doing instead!

Cheers

....My apologies - You have now explained why it was the warranty guy you were seeing.

It's just that some dealers, probably out of ignorance, have tried to fob people off by saying it's a warranty issue and also I got a bit impatient having to explain the same thing to so many people.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #472 on: October 31, 2013, 11:29:49 am »
No problem. I've had contact with customer services and will let you know the outcome...

Offline Juicetin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2013, 12:59:42 pm »
Shreddedmeat...i will be interested to hear the result of your discussions with VW customer service. I have been in a similar position, been to 2 garages who have taken readings and submitted them to VW head office. I have now been in extensive dialogue with customer services and, on my insistance, my case was referred to senior management there. After all this....50% goodwill offer is the most they are offering.
I am therefore very interested if you achieve a better result than this.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:03:01 pm by Juicetin »

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2013, 01:34:11 pm »
Shreddedmeat...i will be interested to hear the result of your discussions with VW customer service. I have been in a similar position, been to 2 garages who have taken readings and submitted them to VW head office. I have now been in extensive dialogue with customer services and, on my insistance, my case was referred to senior management there. After all this....50% goodwill offer is the most they are offering.
I am therefore very interested if you achieve a better result than this.

I have sent a calm and polite but firmly worded email so far, detailing exactly what has gone wrong, why I am disappointed with them, and what I expect them to do about it. There's about 6 or 7 points of complaint I've put to them to support my claim. If they're any good I'll let you know what I said.

If I'm not successful, I'm perfectly happy to go higher. Email addresses are out there for VW UK MD and even the VW Group CEO - people have reported some success with contacting them. Final step for me will be to go down the small claims route (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?136738-How-to-get-rusty-front-wings-replaced-by-volkswagen read about it here). Even if I'm unsuccessful, frankly I'd rather blow 50 odd quid on that than give VW the 50%!

Offline Juicetin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »
Any correspondence made out to the MD or CEO will likely land on Alison Jones' desk, she's the board director who heads up Quality Care.
VW's stance on this has changed dramatically in the last 12 months (presumably due to their global outlay on repairs) and the dealers I saw said the goodwill offers have reduced from 100%, to 75%, to 50% in the last 8 months or so.
Good luck with your enquiries and please let us know how you get on.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #476 on: October 31, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »
If you need to get a letter to somebody who may have a PA or secretary in the way then use a feminine colour envelope with the slightest hint of perfume about it and a hand written address. It won't be opened by his staff as they'll believe it to be personal.

Works well with getting complaints to the top of the tree.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Rumple

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
  • Das Original.
    • Email
« Reply #477 on: October 31, 2013, 02:26:59 pm »
If you need to get a letter to somebody who may have a PA or secretary in the way then use a feminine colour envelope with the slightest hint of perfume about it and a hand written address. It won't be opened by his staff as they'll believe it to be personal.

Works well with getting complaints to the top of the tree.

So that's how your love letters get to the top dog?  :grin:

I had aload of warranty work carried out in august, when I took it in they agreed to 50% but when I picked it up he told me they covered it 100% so I had nothing to pay  :happy2:. No hassle or arguing, maybe I was lucky.

Black 3dr Edition 30 DSG

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #478 on: October 31, 2013, 04:30:13 pm »
Those are great tips  :grin:

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #479 on: November 09, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »
Just a quicky - spoke to a lady from VW exec office yesterday who was helpful but the only thing she could offer was "I'm not here to overrule the goodwill offer"... she's speaking to the dealer to try and get the car seen sooner though. Going to sit tight until then.

Noticed more rust around the bootlid handle as well, this is going to be fun :popcornsoda: