Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 204088 times)

Offline bbfb10

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,83664.0.html
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #525 on: June 18, 2014, 11:45:44 am »
Spankiee, check out this thread http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,81994.30.html

This is what l did.

Went into VW yesterday in Burton on Trent with my V5 to update my details on the system. Gave VW Parkway in Derby a call back this morning (thought ld give them a bit of time for their systems to update). Spoke to Chris Davey who is the guy who originally did the paint measurements and took the pictures for me. VW have authorised the replacement wings, fitted, painted, blended etc... with 100% contribution from themselves. Im made up. I figured that as the car is new to me they would fob me off with "50% blah blah blah 'car hasnt been serviced by VW' blah blah blah 'no customer loyalty' blah blah blah" but l made a point of telling VW UK when l rejected the original 50% offer that my last 3 cars have been Golfs, that l knew about the email mentioned in the original post, this seemed to swing things in my favour.
Car is booked in for 19th May.

If you get a 50% offer I would ring up VW UK, and kick up a fuss. Ive owned my current car for 3 weeks, so the history of ownership, VW service history etc made no difference in my claim, so shouldnt in anyone elses.

Full VCDS Hex + Can.

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #526 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:01 pm »
Thanks mate I've started the ball rolling anyway I've rang my local vw teeside ( Middlesbrough) it seems quite a few people have already been asking about it.
candy white edition 30

Offline Craigh1983

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
    • Leicester Wedding Photographers
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: June 18, 2014, 07:34:58 pm »
Well I am very surprised!!

Went down to VW today... Showed the bodyshop manager the bubbles forming on both the wings expecting him to fob me off. Well he said to me it will be covered! So I said to him that lots of people are only getting 50% covered. He then said that it's changing and that they should be covering 100% very soon! I said how soon and he said in the next couple of weeks! He said that there has been so many of these brought in that they having to do something about it.

He said leave it 2 months and let it get a bit worse... Come back and see me (Calvin in the Leicester branch) and I garauntee you that they will cover you minimum 85% of the cost but he thinks it will be the 100%

I said well by then they might not cover anything! He said no I garauntee you!!

Well I hope he's not just fobbing me off because that sounds too good to be true!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:18:44 am by Craigh1983 »

Offline phatmuther

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #528 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:04 pm »
Well went down on Friday and got the thumbs up  :happy2:

Wings are going to be sorted free of charge. But the rust just below the boot badge would cost me a percentage, so will argue that at a later date. Prefer to get the wings done and dusted first.

But yeah, no problems. Had a look round the car, checked the service history (which should have no bearing on a rust issue that  I can think of) and then agreed to doing them. Just have to wait until they have time to do it now!

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: August 06, 2014, 03:23:49 pm »
Heres my story starring my Reflex Edition30 5 door... (bit long, apologies)

My first point of call was Gilbert Lawton VW in Macclesfield. Chap named Chris there who was very helpful took all the paint depth readings and some photos. I had more than one issue though. I had the usual rusty wings but in addidtion to this i had some quite severe corrosion on the both sills, rust on bottom of both front door skins, bubbling rear arch corners where they meet the bumper, tailgate handle rust and some other paint imperfections on a rear quarter.

I got a call after around a week with the following news. VW were going to foot the bill 100% on the wings, but only 50% on the sills and the tailgate. The rear arches were not to be covered atall. I thought this was fair to be honest - was still going to cost me much less than going to a independant repair shop.

So within a few days my car was down at Inchcape Smith Knight Faye in Audenshaw, Manchester. All seemed to be fine.....  :scared:

17 days later, she is finally ready to be collected and typically its absolutely pissing it down - that rules out a really good inspection of the work they have done. So after a brief walk around i set off home. The following day when the weather was good i spent about an hour going over the car in fine detail and saw some very dissapointing results...

The first issue which i am amazed i didnt spot at first was that they had left the 'GTI' and 'Edition30' badges off the boot! Now they did a 'smart repair' on the bumper aswell, but now the bumper to boot shut line is completely wrong! Also a nice scuff just below the numberplate now that wasnt there before. Maybe they reversed into something after it was done?

The actual front wings look fine (new panels not repaired) but the sill repair is terrible. Looks like they have just cut the rust out with tin snips and filled and painted it. Really a poor repair, looks nothing like it should. In the same area, they havent replaced the side skirts like i had asked (as a couple of screw brackets underneath are bust). Instead they have glued them on with white sealant. Looks shoddy given the panels are silver. Think there is one screw fitted on each side.

The drivers door takes an almighty slam to close. The interior and exterior handles are really stiff to open the door. Obviously the door striker is in the wrong position. Its that bad you can see almost a 3mm difference between the front and rear door shut lines!

The last thing is an odd one. Whether it is allll in my head but the engine/intake noise is much louder than it used to be. I got an ITG exposed intake so it does make a noise, but it almost sounds like the cone filter is in the glovebox! Had a quick look to see if a seal had not been refitted or something but i couldnt see anything (underneath all the dust in my engine bay that has magically appeared). I guess it might be that i got used to the quietness of the VW UP courtesy car they gave me.

Either way im really peed off. Complained to my local dealer who was gobsmacked. Told me that VW would be offering me some sort of good-will contribution. Car has now got to go back again for them to sort. I actually think the car looks worse with all the bad panel gaps etc than it did with rust... Atleast it was all straight! Definately going to construct a letter to VW even if they do compensate me in some way.

Sorry about the rambling on, i needed to get it off my chest. Hope it gets sorted quickly!  :fighting:

Steve

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: August 06, 2014, 07:21:14 pm »
thats bad they made such a hash of the repair work. well ive been waiting over 4 weeks now for a phonecall back and i have rang them several times to remind them.

time for a few choice words i think
candy white edition 30

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #531 on: August 14, 2014, 09:28:16 am »
I'm going to pop into my local dealers later to talk to them about this:

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline Juicetin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #532 on: August 14, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
Dom, that looks identical to how mine were (mine also red), i got both my wings replaced under 100% goodwill from VW. You should get the same.

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #533 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:20 am »
Dom, that looks identical to how mine were (mine also red), i got both my wings replaced under 100% goodwill from VW. You should get the same.

Excellent, I'm waiting for a call back from them at the moment. The only reservation that I have is the previous owner had the bumper resprayed and I'm sure he had the wings blended in, when they check paint depths this will surely show up and will be grounds for warranty refusal.

It's worth a try anyway, if they offer anything less than 100% goodwill I'll be straight on the phone to VW UK. The car is immaculate otherwise and has a huge pile of main dealer history with it.

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #534 on: August 15, 2014, 12:48:33 pm »
I went into Vw Hillsborough this morning and spoke to their bodyshop guy. He brought out the paint depth gauge and as I suspected the wings have been painted in the past so they won't process the claim.

The good news for everybody else though is that vw have now changed their policy due to the shee volume of claims going through, they are now offering 100% goodwill on front wings as standars. So anyone else with original paint and rusty wings should get down to a vw bodyshop ASAP.

Offline Jack_gti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2014, 02:13:34 pm »
Hi all just thought I would share my warranty success with you all,
I bought my mk5 gti in August which had some rust on the rear quarter..although the car as been heavily painted I still managed to have this repaired under warranty after threatening vertu with getting in contact with vw uk which worked straight away.you just need to keep on at them they soon give in

Offline Markweir12

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #536 on: October 30, 2014, 03:12:48 pm »
Mine can't be done as I live on the Isle of Man :(

No approved body shop, yet I work for JLR and although we don't have an approved bodyshop, we have a nominated one!

Sucks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #537 on: October 30, 2014, 03:19:49 pm »
Had a new offside wing put on my Black ED30 last week.  Passenger side was checked and was apparently corrosion free.   To be fair, the offside one was only just starting to go, but I got it done early as I'm picky.

No complaints at all from Inchcape VW in Colchester.  Not sure what body shop they used, but the paint match and panel gaps are all spot on.  5 days from start to finish.   Same dealer did my cam belt and water pump and again, no complaints.  I usually do cam belts and chains myself, so I know how to spot a bodge, but all was spot on.   The fuel lines got disturbed though and they now rattle through the floor, so that's another job on the to-do list.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #538 on: October 30, 2014, 06:41:14 pm »
Hi all just thought I would share my warranty success with you all,
I bought my mk5 gti in August which had some rust on the rear quarter..although the car as been heavily painted I still managed to have this repaired under warranty after threatening vertu with getting in contact with vw uk which worked straight away.you just need to keep on at them they soon give in

That's interesting. I had my claim rejected for my front wings because they had been painted in the past, would you mind sharing what you said to VW UK?

Offline Jack_gti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #539 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:09 pm »
I took my car in to vw to show them and they tryed to say it had been painted which it had but I just said it hasn't and as I work at a motorfactors that supplies body shops I asked what micron is on as standard as I will paint depth to prove they just sort of looked at me asif to say you no what your on about and said they would be in contact.as I didn't hear anymore back for several weeks after being ignored by email ect I sent them another saying the customer service was appalling ect and if I dint hear anything back this time I will contact vw uk to raise a complaint.within 5 mins of that email dealer principal called to say my car was booked in..obv when they started the repair they discovered it had defo been painted however as they had started they said they had to finish it...regardless of whether it's been painted or not if it's corroding from inside out this is the 10 year corrosion warranty not the 3 year paint..they may also try and say they will do 50:50 good will but u still after pay about 800 quid but say no chance as it's a not a 1600repair and b it's warranty you wouldn't pay for tv ect when it's warranty so why your car ??.......by the way sorry for the long reply haha