Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 199727 times)

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #540 on: March 15, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »
Mine are shot, split and the paint has come off practically all round the tops. VW wont do mine under warranty because the 'metal bracket has been moved' under the arch lining thats caused the wing to rust...I know they didn't even move my car for inspection into their workshop up on the ramps which they told me they had. I left the car in the most random state with wipers on full, , steering lock on with  quarter turn to the left, seat right back and reclined in gangster mode, heaters on full and in 5th gear with 1 click on the handbrake. They still told me it has been for an inspection. Lying c***s! Then VW UK told me they can't do it because of the bracket been moved.

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #541 on: March 16, 2015, 09:04:35 am »
Just called in my local dealer as I have a small amount of bubbling on a front and a rest arch and a large section st the front of the sill.

Apparently VW's contribution is back to 50%, the bubbling now has to be a certain size and they don't do rear arches! Not quite what I'd hoped to hear.

When did the rear arches no longer qualify? I had my first GTi done about 5 years ago.

Has anyone had any success contacting VW or is it a waste of time?

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #542 on: March 16, 2015, 10:44:06 am »
Its a corrosion warranty I don't see how they can exclude certain areas of bodywork.

Thats like having a warranty on a new car that doesn't cover the engine haha

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #543 on: March 16, 2015, 11:56:49 am »
Washed the car and gave it a quick wipe with detailing spray and noticed that at the lower front of my drivers door (where it meets the wing) and also a tiny spot under the door strip, I have bubbling starting.

Out of curiosity I wondered, how many claims can you have with rust against VW?  Don't want to go in with this if its going to make any further claims void.  Wouldn't want to scupper any future wing issues for example.

Also, I think the paint warranty is for 12 years is this correct, I'm on a 06 plate so would give me up to 2018?

Any help is greatly appreciated guys.   :happy2:

Offline BenMiller692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #544 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »
Unfortunately they are super crafty to get out of doing warranty works. The latest thing I have heard, from several sources, is that bubbling on the wings is covered as the rust generally is started from the inside of the panel by their dodgy sound proofing design. Therefore the 12 year anti "PERFORATION" warranty is upheld, however in other spots, for example, my sills, they say this damage is not throughout the panels and is caused by damage to the paint surface, they class this as "CORROSION" and is not upheld as part of the 12 year anti perforation warranty.
I think that this is poor from VW as any rust should be covered! I am still waiting to hear about my bootlid, I expect this will not be covered either!!

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: March 16, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply @ BenMiller692. 

Best of luck with the bootlid.  Will leave it for a bit and see how it goes.  Then if need be a visit to VW to see what they say.  Although by the sounds of it I will be having to deal with VW's head office as many others have from what I've read.   :fighting:

Offline BenMiller692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #546 on: March 16, 2015, 01:25:54 pm »
Not a problem. I will keep you updated. Good luck also!!

Offline Fletch..gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #547 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »
4weeks and still waiting to hear about my front sill , but reading some of this it don't look good . 06 plate with 24k on the clock and always kept clean and in the garage . Yet still rusts   Disgraceful

Offline BenMiller692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: April 05, 2015, 09:46:38 am »
Had 50% offer back on my tailgate. My cars in on tuesday so just gave in. So im getting wings done for free and tailgate is costing me £191. But im getting my car collected from my work and having a courtesy car so its really no hastle at all for me!

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #549 on: April 05, 2015, 10:08:01 pm »
4weeks and still waiting to hear about my front sill , but reading some of this it don't look good . 06 plate with 24k on the clock and always kept clean and in the garage . Yet still rusts   Disgraceful

After having issues on my Mk4 and now Mk5 it's shocking how newish cars such as these are having corrosion issues as they are. I wonder if Mk6's will suffer same fate?

Offline dane

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #550 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:52 am »
Seeing as this thread really helped me I thought I'd contribute.

So my fiancee's MK5 R32 has bubbling front arches. I took the car to Blade Accident Repair in Gloucester, fortunately I'd found this thread previously whilst doing some research and was on the front foot when dealing with a man called Mike Holiday.

I showed him to the car and he proceeded to take some paint depth readings, the results were 174 microns on the passenger side 155 microns on the drivers side - he said the readings were too high and he wasn't going to process a claim.

Believing that the car had seem some paint I resigned myself to getting some private quotes for both wings being done. prices ranged from £750 for non OEM parts to £1k for OEM wings. However due to the negative comments in this thread about Mike and Blade in Gloucester I thought I'd dig a little deeper. So I emailed and tweeted VW UK asking what the factory paint depth should be. They replied with 70 to 150 microns, so with the drivers wing being 5 microns over that reading I didn't see any reason that wing shouldn't be covered under warranty. So either Mike Holiday at Blade in Gloucester didn't know what the paint readings should be or he couldn't be bothered to write the report and submit it to VW. Non the less he nearly cost us a grand that we didn't need to spend...

I didn't want to take the car back to a Blade franchise for a second opinion so I took it to a different franchise, South Hereford VW and they were FANTASTIC! Instead of taking a few paint readings they did the whole car, marked out the areas of corrosion took loads of photos. Their readings came out at 143 microns passenger side and 147 drivers side the chap believed that the bonnet had been resprayed at some point and some overspray had landed on the wings so he saw no reason why VW wouldn't process the claim.

Low and behold 2 days later we get a call saying VW will cover it 100% and the cars booked in for May.

Hopefully it'll all go well and I'll confirm once the works done but what a nightmare... Once the work has been completed I'll be submitting a formal complaint against Mike to Blade and to VW.

If you need friendly, honest and experienced advice South Hereford VW are a good place to go.  :happy2:

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: June 22, 2015, 03:51:31 pm »
Just took the car to VW Shrewsbury for sill inspection. Upon arrival I started to explain the issue and how others have had the same. I was told don't believe what you read on forums as most of it is bo****ks! Nice. He started inspecting the car and took front wing depth readings. I said the wings were fine. He looked at both the sills as I stated that the other was probably not far behind. I was then told VW usually do wings and sills at the same time and that because only my sills need doing it would be VERY expensive. I said that I don't want to drive around in a rusty car to which he replied "it's not a new car, most cars rust at this age" (57 reg, 40,000 miles!)
No pictures were taken and the claim is being processed after it has been checked whether I have any good will allocated to me and the car!

Not holding my breath for any kind of result and to be honest the whole experience has made me want to sort the sill at a local body shop and leave the VW brand for good!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:54:46 pm by PT82 »

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #552 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:22 pm »
Just took the car to VW Shrewsbury for sill inspection. Upon arrival I started to explain the issue and how others have had the same. I was told don't believe what you read on forums as most of it is bo****ks! Nice. He started inspecting the car and took front wing depth readings. I said the wings were fine. He looked at both the sills as I stated that the other was probably not far behind. I was then told VW usually do wings and sills at the same time and that because only my sills need doing it would be VERY expensive. I said that I don't want to drive around in a rusty car to which he replied "it's not a new car, most cars rust at this age" (57 reg, 40,000 miles!)
No pictures were taken and the claim is being processed after it has been checked whether I have any good will allocated to me and the car!

Not holding my breath for any kind of result and to be honest the whole experience has made me want to sort the sill at a local body shop and leave the VW brand for good!

I've had my current car done there and my previous Golf, I originally had 08 plate Golf booked in for sills @ 50% cost but when it went in they phoned to say wings were being done also but free of charge as they found corrosion on those after removing to paint sills, so I had the front wings and both sills done with only the 50% contribution on sills to pay which iirc was £160odd

I mentioned about tailgate and rear wings but they won't even process a claim on it  :confused:

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: June 22, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »
Thanks for the info buddy. I have already emailed VW UK and booked to see a local body shop for an estimate, it's Richard Lewis up towards Dolfor. Supposed to be very good.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:28:22 pm by PT82 »

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #554 on: June 23, 2015, 02:07:01 pm »
Anyone had any rust on the rear sill before?

I only got my car back a couple of weeks ago from getting the front arches done and never noticed this.