Issues with rust that VW declined to repair under warranty
1 (1.7%)
Issue with rust that you still haven't done anything about
7 (12.1%)
No rust
17 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: November 24, 2010, 07:54:54 pm

Author Topic: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!  (Read 199559 times)

Offline SKULLZY

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
*** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #630 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:56 am »

I waited 4.5k months and finally got them replaced last week!

However my tail gate rust problem, below the badge was rejected along with some sill rust

Pretty happy with the job, had to return to get the wing to bumper fitting adjusted as the bloody corner of bumper was sticking out, no blending though, wings prepainted before they had the car. Apparently it's quite normal for them not to blend. Luckily pretty good colour match, but my bonnet looks biz now compared so treating that to a fresh paint next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:37:38 am by SKULLZY »

Offline c.grex

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
Re: *** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #631 on: March 28, 2017, 02:49:18 pm »
I've been to Preston VW this morning to ask about my tailgate and been told they don't deal with bodywork any more. I rang Customer support and they said they should but they will try Blackburn, who also said they can't deal with! And then they tried Skipton who also said they couldn't deal with it!

Finally got to talk to someone at Lancaster, and have sent pics. I'm not very hopeful, but you never know!

IMG_4523" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>site to upload photos[/url]

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #632 on: March 31, 2017, 12:59:21 pm »
I can just about see the beginnings of some paint bubbling up on my arches. Is there anything I can do to prevent it getting worse. Such as removing or cutting down the foam, Waxoyl ect? If I could stop it getting worse I'd be happy, r is it that once it started it's only going to get worse over time?

I can't be bothered to go and argue with VW over it.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline leebes

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • When's the next track day?
  • My Ride: 2007 Mk5 Gti (Reflex Silver)
« Reply #633 on: March 31, 2017, 01:47:49 pm »
I can just about see the beginnings of some paint bubbling up on my arches. Is there anything I can do to prevent it getting worse. Such as removing or cutting down the foam, Waxoyl ect? If I could stop it getting worse I'd be happy, r is it that once it started it's only going to get worse over time?

I can't be bothered to go and argue with VW over it.

When I had my arches done the dealer said it's not moisture getting in from under the arches, but actually a fault in the primer/ paint itself which makes the arches etc rot. So not sure it can be stopped I'm afraid....although dealers have been known to tell fibs, so that could all be rubbish of course!

Offline dools225

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #634 on: April 03, 2017, 01:07:55 pm »
Just had success getting 2 new front wings under warranty, took it into VW Chester 2 weeks ago for assessment, and it's booked in for 2 weeks time so very quick decision :happy2:

Car is 2006 on 101k with a full service history, only part with VW however.

Offline Ryan M

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #635 on: April 08, 2017, 05:42:23 am »
Booked into Wishaw Volkswagen (Central Scotland) to attempt and try my luck with my new daily 2005 TDI. Surprisingly the only rust on the car is at the front on the common spots for the Golf MK5 such as the wing and the sill below the wing. It may be over before it started, but before spending money on a rust repair I'm wanting to see if Volkswagen can honour their warranty with such a rusty MK5.

Here's some images of the rust in question (Crappy iPhone Pictures):

Driverside:

Passenger Side:

If Volkswagen decide to decline which I've got a high feeling they will probably will I'll end up getting new wings painted with the foam trimmed or removed, properly clean the wheel arches effected and attempt to lower the effect of the rust and hopefully get it properly repaired.

I guess the only way in the future to stop the sill rust is to properly clean behind the sills every couple of months or once a year to stop the build up of dirt and leaves. I'll post again after speaking with Volkswagen to see if they can honour their warranty.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #636 on: April 08, 2017, 08:20:06 pm »
^^ whoa that's bad!

And once it's all done fingers crossed then there's plenty of anti rust products you can paint on the inside of the arch metal to stop this happening again.  :happy2:

I'd paint some on mine now as my rear arch is showing signs of bubbling paint but if I paint any on now then vw will say I've tampered with it too much.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Ryan M

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #637 on: April 08, 2017, 10:40:11 pm »
^^ whoa that's bad!

And once it's all done fingers crossed then there's plenty of anti rust products you can paint on the inside of the arch metal to stop this happening again.  :happy2:

I'd paint some on mine now as my rear arch is showing signs of bubbling paint but if I paint any on now then vw will say I've tampered with it too much.

Yeah man, it's pretty bad but hopefully if VW honour their warranty it will look alot better and a load off my mind :party:

I've been doing some research into anti-rusting products and have stumbled across ACF-50, which claims to be an anti-rusting spray for annual protection. Just wondering if you've heard of it and what your product of choice will be if you're ever tackling your arches.

Also good luck with your VW claim when the time comes! :drinking:

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #638 on: April 09, 2017, 10:50:23 pm »
Mine is 12 years and 3 months old and it's just started to bubble up over the near side wheel arch.  Is there any chance the warranty would still cover this or is it too late?

‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2017, 08:21:20 am »
Mine is 12 years and 3 months old and it's just started to bubble up over the near side wheel arch.  Is there any chance the warranty would still cover this or is it too late?

Looks like it will be too late I'm afraid. Could try them and they may be able to assess when the rusting may have started. But I'd be doubtful.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
« Reply #640 on: April 15, 2017, 09:47:35 am »
Jut got mine back from VW Inchape this week. 2005 120,000 miles. Took it in for an inspection and three weeks later its got its new wings on FOC! Top job  :happy2:

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #641 on: April 15, 2017, 02:25:05 pm »
Jut got mine back from VW Inchape this week. 2005 120,000 miles. Took it in for an inspection and three weeks later its got its new wings on FOC! Top job  :happy2:
Hi were you still inside the 12 years warranty when you first took it in?

‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
*** VW - RUST & WARRANTY *** RESULT!!!!
« Reply #642 on: April 15, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »
Hi were you still inside the 12 years warranty when you first took it in?

I can't remember exactly when the car was first registered but it's a 55 plate and I first took it in beginning of March this year.Even if your car is over 12 years old give your dealers a ring, glad I did!

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #643 on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:50 pm »
Just had success getting 2 new front wings under warranty, took it into VW Chester 2 weeks ago for assessment, and it's booked in for 2 weeks time so very quick decision :happy2:

Car is 2006 on 101k with a full service history, only part with VW however.

I had both mine done there under warranty as it's my local dealer ;)

Offline whytie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #644 on: April 26, 2017, 12:15:06 pm »
I just tried to call Linwood Vw to get booked in and they said mines is out of date, 05 plate registered 21st April 2005  :fighting:, I said but it's only 5 days over and the guy said it's only a 10yr warranty with 2 years extra goodwill but there is nothing they will do so no joy for me