Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza valves  (Read 14150 times)

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Monza valves
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 03:02:25 pm »
iirc the metal valves are around £12 a valve. The part Number is 1K0601361

If you end up requiring the ones like ^^^^^ then let me know. I'm sure I have a set in the shed that you could take of my hands for nominal fee.

Boothy

If these are not wanted, then i'll take them off your hands; i have justed picked up a set of 17" Monza's as winter wheels and one of the valves is missing.  :wink:

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 04:02:39 pm »
My local tyre fitters said that they could just fit rubber valves to them, is this dodgy ?

When I visited my local tyre fitters they said they had nothing suitable and rang VW. VW told them that it had to be the genuine metal ones like pictured. Still doesn't mean its right though I suppose and at £50 for a set, not bloody cheap either!

iirc the metal valves are around £12 a valve. The part Number is 1K0601361

If you end up requiring the ones like ^^^^^ then let me know. I'm sure I have a set in the shed that you could take of my hands for nominal fee.

Boothy

If these are not wanted, then i'll take them off your hands; i have justed picked up a set of 17" Monza's as winter wheels and one of the valves is missing.  :wink:

I'll have to let Bryan have 1st refusal as I offered them to him first so only fair. If not though I'm willing to flog them to you as a set for a fair price  :wink:

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 04:48:35 pm »
Brian they can't be the hollow versions as there is no way a normal rubber valve would fit if they were.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:04 pm »
afaik the 17" rims didn't come with those metal valves...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:52 pm »
my 17" wheels have the metal monza valves  :wink:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 08:34:15 pm »

Yeh you can get metal valves to replace standard rubber ones but the hollow BBS do need a specific valve that can only be bought from a dealer.  :happy2:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 07:11:31 pm »
Boothy you have PM  :happy2:

Cheers Nathan, i went to the refurber today and checked out the wheels they are the hollowtech you can actually see the hollow through the valve exit, like you said there is no way you could get a standard rubber valves through there,

ill hopefully get the valves soon and get my new stealth wheels on !

MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »
I've replied to your PM mate. If you PM your email address I'll send you some photos in the morning. Let me know if the price ain't right too bud. I'm sure we can come to a mutual arrangment  :happy2:

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2010, 01:17:05 pm »

Yeh you can get metal valves to replace standard rubber ones but the hollow BBS do need a specific valve that can only be bought from a dealer.  :happy2:

I've just been to the tyre fitters to get some winter tyres put onto my spare set of Monza 2s (hollow BBS with metal valves).  They reckon that rubber valves will be fine and actually took the tyre off and removed the metal valve and put a rubber valve in.  The rubber valve fitted fine, but was longer than the metal one so stuck out a bit more.  They said that it's purely cosmetic and it was my choice to get some VW metal valves or have the rubber ones.  I'm at the dealers on Monday anyway for a service and MOT, so will ask them while I'm there.

Just rang another local VW dealer who gave me the following prices:

4 x £11.10 each + VAT = £52.17 total (but take 3 days to get)

Why do VW state that metal valves are needed on the early Monza 2s?  Does anyone know if they really are needed? 

Cheers!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2010, 01:40:02 pm »
iirc the first monzas needed the specific metal valve but the design changed sometime later so that a rubber valve could be used.  vw then sold the cars with rubber valves so it could have been a cost cutting measure.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »
iirc the first monzas needed the specific metal valve but the design changed sometime later so that a rubber valve could be used.  vw then sold the cars with rubber valves so it could have been a cost cutting measure.

Yes, but do the early ones have to have metal valves or are they OK to have rubber valves, even if they stick out a bit?

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »

Yes, but do the early ones have to have metal valves or are they OK to have rubber valves, even if they stick out a bit?

From my experience the ones that need the specific VW metal valves will take only the specific valves and nothing else, nothing to do with aestethics they are just the only type that will physically fit. I replaced a Monza on my first GTI after an incident with a kerb and ended up with this type of wheel. I had a mobile kwik fit guy who was a mate of mine attempt to fit it and believe me if he could of got a valve in it (standard rubber or metal) then he would have as he'd already stripped the tyre off of the damaged wheel.  :love:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »
I have the metal valves on my 17" Monza's - I realise from the above that I dont HAVE to have this type of valve, but the last couple of tyre changes the fitters have told me they re-cored the metal valves - I take it this isn't possible with the monza 2 types either?
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 06:04:54 pm »
Is the general consensus that if a rubber valve will fit in, it's OK to use one?  Maybe then with something like a set of these to hide the fact that they're rubber?

Chrome Valve Stem Covers

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2010, 11:33:12 am »
Is the general consensus that if a rubber valve will fit in, it's OK to use one?  Maybe then with something like a set of these to hide the fact that they're rubber?

Chrome Valve Stem Covers

Any thoughts on using rubber valves as long as they'll fit? ....anybody?  :confused: