Make a donation

Author Topic: ATTENTION! All Porsche fans....  (Read 8328 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: ATTENTION! All Porsche fans....
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 12:07:15 pm »

....Oh, so you'd refuse to have one would you.

Not at all. I'm in no doubt that it is an awesome car, but in reality it's a Cayman S, with a diff and a weight saving due to lack of kit.

Porsche just don't do special edition cars very well anymore (though I love the Boxster Spyder), and that's a shame.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 12:09:48 pm »

Not at all. I'm in no doubt that it is an awesome car, but in reality it's a Cayman S, with a diff and a weight saving due to lack of kit.

Porsche just don't do special edition cars very well anymore (though I love the Boxster Spyder), and that's a shame.

Nail. On. Head.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 12:14:39 pm »
I'll go along with that too, it's no leap forward and not much more than what you can choose off the options list anyway.. I still want one though.
Sideways yo!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bata19o3f3o0fav120bjesunlu&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »
I think id rather get a second hand Carrera 4S or Turbo to be honest

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 12:21:49 pm »
At the end of the day they are all Adolf's Beetle's with an over-inflated opinion of themselves.  :chicken:

Real Porsche = 928  :popcornsoda:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:57 pm »
Why so defensive RR?  :confused: Have you bought one?

And no I wouldn't have one. If it were given to me yes I'd drive it and probably sell it, but I wouldn't buy one with my own money.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 12:29:49 pm »

imo all their cars are special so it makes it harder to create a special edition one without it been absolutely bonkers and then only a few lucky ones will be able to afford it...

i spent ££££ modding my golf to improve the handling and peformance and then jumped in to a 4 year old stock cayman s which would have walked all over it in pretty much every aspect

with an extra 30hp, lsd, pdk and reduced weight this will be an awesome car and just look at those seats  :drool:
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »

imo all their cars are special so it makes it harder to create a special edition one without it been absolutely bonkers and then only a few lucky ones will be able to afford it...

i spent ££££ modding my golf to improve the handling and peformance and then jumped in to a 4 year old stock cayman s which would have walked all over it in pretty much every aspect

with an extra 30hp, lsd, pdk and reduced weight this will be an awesome car and just look at those seats  :drool:

It's 9bhp.

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 12:37:36 pm »
compared to mine its 39bhp (possibly less since i have installed a new plenum and gt3 throttle body..) and i am pleased with the performance so I can only imagine what this will be like  :happy2:

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »

Totally agree with this, i really hate it when people use the "it's a poor mans porsche" thing, er still a Porsche at the end of the day and they make some fantastic machines, and not knocking the Golf at all but i would still take a Porsche over it any day of the week.

Surely you can say that for any car though? is a Gallardo a poor mans Lambo because he hasn't bought the Murcielago ?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 12:50:39 pm »
Why so defensive RR?  :confused: Have you bought one?

And no I wouldn't have one. If it were given to me yes I'd drive it and probably sell it, but I wouldn't buy one with my own money.

....No, but if the funds were available and I no longer needed a 5-door hatchback, then I'd be very very keen indeed. It sounds as if it's less of a beast than the bigger Porsches.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »
Blake-R, in quoting me you're suggesting I stated that it was a poor man's Porsche. I've never subscribed to that opinion. I wholeheartedly agree that every Porsche is special. However, to put this in perspective, Porsche has named this Cayman after one of the most special limited edition cars they ever produced, and as such it is not unreasonable to expect it is more than a breathed on Cayman S. No doubt it's a great car, but it's not a great special edition.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 12:51:22 pm »
Let's get one thing straight here, I (personally - can't speak for others) am not knocking the Cayman. It's Porsche marketing I have beef with. No-doubt the R is a very accomplished car but it doesnt deserve the badge which up to know has been reserved for stuff so mental it makes the GT3 RS look lardy.

I hate the look of the 996 and the 997s are still quite expensive, so given the choice, I'd probably have a nearly-new Cayman over an old 911. But IMHO, the 997.2 Turbo is still the ultimate allrounder and all the car I'd ever need.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 12:54:39 pm »
^^^^
All I'm suggesting is that it's a great car. But I think that nearly ALL Porsches are great cars. I don't really care about whether it's a special edition or how it's marketed.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 12:58:05 pm »

Let's get one thing straight here, I (personally - can't speak for others) am not knocking the Cayman. It's Porsche marketing I have beef with. No-doubt the R is a very accomplished car but it doesnt deserve the badge which up to know has been reserved for stuff so mental it makes the GT3 RS look lardy.

I hate the look of the 996 and the 997s are still quite expensive, so given the choice, I'd probably have a nearly-new Cayman over an old 911. But IMHO, the 997.2 Turbo is still the ultimate allrounder and all the car I'd ever need.

....And "all the car I'd ever need" is how I see the Porsche R for me personally.

The Audi RS3 qualifies for that too - At least on paper, so far.

For now, my GTI is very much all the car I need.