Make a donation

Author Topic: New Astra VXR/GTC  (Read 8830 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
New Astra VXR/GTC
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:19 pm »

Thoughts? I know most are not fans of the Griffin, but there are some nice lines and touches I reckon. If it rolls off the production line with 21's though (which I highly doubt) I can't see it doing to well in the twisties..  :scared:  :grin:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:14:45 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: New Astra VXR/GTC
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:22 pm »
Thoughts? I know most are not fans of the Griffin, but there are some nice lines and touches I reckon. If it rolls off the production line with 21's though (which I highly doubt) I can't see it doing to well in the twisties..  :scared:  :grin:

Since when has that ever bothered Vauxhall :signLOL:
Golf R gone.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:09:41 pm »
Unlike the old Astra (but like the current VXR Corsa) this was designed from the ground up to be a hot-hatch. The old Astra was a 'normal' hatch that got warmed up. So it should handle corners and the power quite well.

I'll never, ever own one (badge snob, reputation and all that), but like the old Astra, I will quietly appreciate it's aggresive lines from a far. Hope it's better inside that the out going Astra though.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »
This one'll have the same front suspension set-up as the Insignia VXR which is a version of the Revoknuckle idea that Ford pinched from Renaultsport. I reckon it'll handle pretty well and besides, most of the notions that Vauxhalls don't handle come from that nob end Clarkson who has a compulsive disorder that makes him slate everything they make!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • .:R32
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:55 pm »
This one'll have the same front suspension set-up as the Insignia VXR which is a version of the Revoknuckle idea that Ford pinched from Renaultsport. I reckon it'll handle pretty well and besides, most of the notions that Vauxhalls don't handle come from that nob end Clarkson who has a compulsive disorder that makes him slate everything they make!

To be fair, all the cars he slated were crap. The old Vectra was just awful scary to drive, I've never experienced understeer like it, even at sensible speeds. Spearing straight-on on round abouts is not something I enjoy. But let try to avoid making this a VXR/Vauxhall slagging thread...

And the rumours about Ford nicking the tech from Renault are just that - internet hear-say.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline daz5182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:25:55 pm »
that car is awesome, i also owned some VXRs of past and they were fantastic cars too, bang for buck you'll not math them with anything IMO.

Very impressed with this

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »
looks like a mix of megane and rocco to me finished off with a splash of max power, clarkson speaks the truth  :happy2:

to change the tyres in a few years time will cost more than its worth..
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:50:55 pm »
That's really nice, a serious bit of design. Guess we wait to see how it drives eh? The Insignia is a great car, so hopefully they've learnt to not just throw power at a crap chassis finally.

Oh, and the old VXR handled like a sack of sh*t - I don't care what badge was on it, I'd say the same if it was a VW. I was lent one for a week that had been through 888 to apparently make it better, it was shocking. Bloody fast in a straight line though!
Sideways yo!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:02:28 pm »
That's really nice, a serious bit of design. Guess we wait to see how it drives eh? The Insignia is a great car, so hopefully they've learnt to not just throw power at a crap chassis finally.

Oh, and the old VXR handled like a sack of sh*t - I don't care what badge was on it, I'd say the same if it was a VW. I was lent one for a week that had been through 888 to apparently make it better, it was shocking. Bloody fast in a straight line though!

Fully concur, with work I get to drive the CDTi variant quite a lot.  The car is very easy to drive fairly fast.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 01:34:10 pm »
I like it,looks good BUT 21'' rims for everyday use?.They look great tho.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline daz5182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:37:42 pm »
looks like a mix of megane and rocco to me finished off with a splash of max power, clarkson speaks the truth  :happy2:

to change the tyres in a few years time will cost more than its worth..

Clarkson is a bell, anyoen can plant a car into a corner and floor it......  As for max power, not sure myself.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:53 pm »
Not only will 21" tyres be expensive those wheels are  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I agree that a lot of Vauxhall line up is carp. However the Insignia is the exception to the rule. Having been in the new Insignia VXR i can safely say that car is a weapon and a half :driver:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:28 pm »
Not only will 21" tyres be expensive those wheels are  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I agree that a lot of Vauxhall line up is carp. However the Insignia is the exception to the rule. Having been in the new Insignia VXR i can safely say that car is a weapon and a half :driver:
...........bloke at work has one in that nice blue colour 320bhp  :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 01:54:09 pm »
Yeah that's the colour of the one i had a go in.

Nice although i prefer the Grey colour.

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »
How much is this car, and what are it's vital stats, e.g. bhp, engine size, etc.?