Make a donation

Author Topic: Problem with having a Candy White car..  (Read 3506 times)

Offline dnLcal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Problem with having a Candy White car..
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »
Ive had my CW Ed30 for about 2-3 months now and dont think ive ever cleaned something so much.

I know im taking pride in it because its the nicest car ive had, but it seems every time i drive it it comes back filthy (bit of an overstatement).

Ive just cleaned it and used Auto Glym Super Resin Polish and Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection. im hoping this crates a barrier to stop crap from sticking.

If not im sure you guys are in the know of what products to use.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Cal

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Problem with having a Candy White car..
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 06:52:47 pm »
Have a read of the stickies above.

White is like black - both are lovely when clean but are filthy if you so much as cough at them!

Ideally, the first detail should be done professionally. That way, you can just top up the finish with a wash, dry and quick wax or quick detailer.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:35:36 pm »
its a myth just wash it i had loads of cars in different colours and they all need cleaned get a grip
Sig to big.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:43:19 pm »
I like to keep my CW clean and tidy.

What I try and do is hose it down on the drive before it gets put to bed in the garage :wink: especially if it’s been out in the rain or on damp roads and it’s still wet. I find that it washes a lot of the muck off, and then it doesn’t dry and stick on it overnight.

I appreciate that it’s not feasible for everyone to do this, but I can :P and I find it helps a lot, we live up a dirt track so that makes it worse (the neighbours must think I’m mad, hosing a car down in the rain)

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Truckie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Formula Hot Laps
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:36:25 pm »
Agree with the " wash down theory" It definitely helps  :happy2:
The road to my work is minging for 8 months of the year and dirty for the remaining months lol. I try and keep on top of mines but a good quality wax helps, as the dirt will run off with the rinse you do after parking up.
Maybe try a wax that is known for really good beading, i know that helps me as most of the dirt on the roads i use is wet and muddy...mixed with the usual salt  :fighting:
I get nothing but abuse for cleaning my car non stop but its my pride and joy! :signLOL:
cue picture whorring ahoy!!!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:41:24 pm »
Aye, youre AG extra gloss protection is a sealant so a wax on top would be of benefit.

Offline tonto83

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:20:49 pm »
the Werkstat acrylic kit is excellent for silver and white cars, it has three parts.  I've spent loads on wax, sealants, etc and this kit beats everything hands down.  Kit consists of:

the prime  - cleans the paint and puts a base layer of protection (I apply about twice per year)

then the Acrylic - apply with a MF (I apply roughly every three weeks)

The Acrylic gloss (50/50 of water and acrylic) is the the third bottle and that can be applied in between the Acrylic layers every other week.

It gives fantastic beading in the rain and a super shine in silver and white, the more coats you give it over the months the better the shine gets.  It gives the car the look that it's covered in shiney cling film if ya get the idea, the reflection off the paint is the best I've come across and I'm sure those of you with silver and white cars will agree me in saying it's bloody hard to get a good reflection of our colour paints.  It gives excellent protection during the winter, very easy to apply, the dirt finds it hard to stick to the paint so a quick shot of the power hose blows most of the dirst off before you even start cleaning.

You should give it a go, you won't regret it.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 04:01:02 pm »
I'd just get some Colinite 845 insulation wax. That beads really well and its cheap, easy to use and lasts foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. Pretty good at sheeting water straight off the car and to be honest my car end up cleaner after its rained that before when I've used this. Well worth the cash.

and on a white car...

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 04:03:49 pm »
its a myth just wash it i had loads of cars in different colours and they all need cleaned get a grip

I disagree. Red, sliver and grey cars are pretty good at hiding the dirt IMO.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 04:53:28 pm »
Just put my Diamond black GTI back in the garage after washing it earlier today, bet it sh*t high when i get back from work on saturday & it's only a 14 mile round trip.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 05:58:25 pm »
the Werkstat acrylic kit is excellent for silver and white cars, it has three parts.  I've spent loads on wax, sealants, etc and this kit beats everything hands down.  Kit consists of:

the prime  - cleans the paint and puts a base layer of protection (I apply about twice per year)

then the Acrylic - apply with a MF (I apply roughly every three weeks)

The Acrylic gloss (50/50 of water and acrylic) is the the third bottle and that can be applied in between the Acrylic layers every other week.

It gives fantastic beading in the rain and a super shine in silver and white, the more coats you give it over the months the better the shine gets.  It gives the car the look that it's covered in shiney cling film if ya get the idea, the reflection off the paint is the best I've come across and I'm sure those of you with silver and white cars will agree me in saying it's bloody hard to get a good reflection of our colour paints.  It gives excellent protection during the winter, very easy to apply, the dirt finds it hard to stick to the paint so a quick shot of the power hose blows most of the dirst off before you even start cleaning.

You should give it a go, you won't regret it.

I've got werkstat on my CW GTi and like it a lot (JPC suggested it, and he knows his stuff :happy2:) It helps that our other car is an akoya silver Audi so it looks good on both :smiley:

I would have to say, without a shadow of a doubt, that the silver hides the dirt much better than the CW

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 06:20:37 pm »
but candy white is still the fastest
Sig to big.

Offline dnLcal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »
Cheers guys, ill have a look at those products. to be fair ive just done about 200 miles today, including country lanes and motorways and its stayed quite clean so maybe that AG is doing something. i have some Turtle wax ICE wax next time i can be bothered to give the car the full works on cleaning it should i apply that after completeing the same method i mentioned above?

Just trying to use what i have rather than invest in more products. if theres more benefit to buying a new product (if not too expensive then i'll do that). Have to say that collinite looks quite impressive.

Cheers.
Cal

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »
It gives the car the look that it's covered in shiney cling film if ya get the idea, the reflection off the paint is the best I've come across
I get a similar look from FK1000P. First layer looked okay but once cured over 48 hours, look like it had been wrapped in plastic. IMO too shiny. Thankfully some collinite over the top sorted it out.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 01:40:44 pm »
It gives the car the look that it's covered in shiney cling film if ya get the idea, the reflection off the paint is the best I've come across
I get a similar look from FK1000P. First layer looked okay but once cured over 48 hours, look like it had been wrapped in plastic. IMO too shiny. Thankfully some collinite over the top sorted it out.

is there such a thing as too shiny?
not in black surely not  :evilgrin:
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"