Make a donation

Author Topic: 330i m sport (e90)  (Read 6523 times)

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
330i m sport (e90)
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:26:10 pm »
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with these before eg running costs, how they are to drive or compare to the gti ?

The reason being I've just bought one, I test drove the car yesterday but it was soaking wet and the salesman kept on telling me to slow down so I didn't get to sample it's performance as much as I would of liked.

I've basically got rid of my much loved gti due to practicallity reasons (a new addition to the family) I really wanted to keep the gti but it's just too much hassel mounting the baby seat in the rear 3 times a day, especially due to the small seat opening and large baby seat also the long rear access means I have to get in the back to fasten it up and then exit via the other side door as I can't get past the seat once it's secured.
I've also been to see a five door gti but looks wise I wasn't so sure, just not a fan of 5 door hatches.

I originally went to my local BMW garage to look at a 320d m sport and I was going to buy a track car in the summer but as I came back from the test drive in the 320 they were putting the for sale sign up on the 330i m sport so I asked if I could take it for a spin and bought that instead. 
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: 330i m sport (e90)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:30:51 pm »
They are a nice refined drive, handle well and are great to drive. For me the 330d would be the engine of choice as its just as good to drive, if not better and quicker than the 330i once mapped as well as being massively cheaper to run and keep serviced.

Now get shopping for some winter tyres......

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:31:21 pm »
couldn't you just leave the baby seat in the car LOL, I have no experience of the BMW so cant help , only experience I have is seeing one stuck on the smallest hill in the snow and even the edition 30 managed it   :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »
RWD just in time for the snow  :laugh:  even with winter tyres on they are still difficult in the snow.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »
  ^^^^^ 182 it's more difficult to do that plus I'd wake up the baby not an option  :scared:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:37:19 pm »
RWD just in time for the snow  :laugh:  even with winter tyres on they are still difficult in the snow.

yea I know I've timed it well oooops ! Defo got to get some winters and get the run flats off.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:37:41 pm »
we used to have one like this.  the base stays put with ISOFIX, and the main seat cklipped in.  rotate around 90o either way as well

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:49:07 pm »

yea I forgot to mention that I actually went for the 330i because of it's lack of running tunning potential, I don't want to spend the kind of money on it that I did on the gti or I would of went for the 335i, I'm not even going to join a BMW forum I don't want to see anything that I might be tempted to buy !

PDT, I understand you have a BMW and do a fair bit work on them have you any idea how much the b12 kit lowers the m sport and if it Is any better than the factory billies, it's going to be front brakes, back box and suspension (if the m sport pack feels like it needs it) and that's it no more mods !
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 12:54:53 pm by gobbleplease »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »
The b12 is a nice upgrade but the Msport original stuff is very good tbh, only really worth upgrading if you get a failed shock or broken spring. The exhaust has a nice note as standard so backbox wont help much, brakes are also very good, just change the pads with something decent when its time.

Thats the good thing with the Msport BMW's they are great cars in their original state.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:59:58 pm »
we used to have one like this.  the base stays put with ISOFIX, and the main seat cklipped in.  rotate around 90o either way as well

yea that is pretty good that. I told the mrs I wanted an isofix seat but she went and bought one of those belt seats to match the pram. 

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 01:09:14 pm »
Yea that's what I was looking doing, replacing the suspension once a spring goes, I can't see this taking very long as I've had broken springs on both my e36 ond e46 m3s, Ive got to say I wasn't too impressed with the stoppers, I'll give them a chance though  :happy2:

do you guys know of any back boxes for the e90 the only people I can find are eisenmann or BMW performance and wasn't wanting to pay thoses prices the BMW performance range exhaust is very nice though. 

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »
Ive had 3 E90's now - 2 x 335D M Sports, and a 320ED.  The best mod is putting standard tyres on.  The Ed comes on standard tyres and lowered suspension, and got 5*s in the EVO test.  The RFTs crucify the ride.  Other than that, when correctly shod in the right tyres, they are a great drive.  On my tourer I put lowering springs on it, looked great but the ride was a little hard at the rear, however Ive driven a saloon with the same springs and the ride was great, better than factory.

The 300i is considered the most pure of the petrol models, due to the lack of turbo chargers, and makes a great noise
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »
Ah good someone clued up on the E90, im going to order the BMW performance brake kit in december !
I didnt find the brakes the best in the test drive. I got the m sport suspension, have you any idea how much lower the m sport is than the standard and how much lower the springs take the m sport ? i understand that the spring manufacturers quote the lowering for the non m sport but not the m sport, so id hate fit springs and it actually gets higher :smiley:

Offline PDT

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »
Be carefull when ordering springs as the msport shocks have a very different damping rate to the standard bmw items. eibach lower around 10mm front and 5mm rear with the sportsline kit.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »
^^ cheers mate, how much will the b12 kit lower the  m sport ?
I'll give yous a phone once I've shifted a few things from the golf for prices ta !