Make a donation

Author Topic: Complete respray  (Read 5024 times)

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Complete respray
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:09:08 pm »
I've been considering a full respray for my black 2005 GTi DSG.

Is this insane?

Anybody done this and know roughly what the cost would be?

Anybody have any good bodyshop recommendations in south-east England who might also do a deal for cash in hand?

I guess the alternative would be getting the front bumper/bonnet and maybe wings repainted plus the boot and rear bumper?

cheers
ed

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Complete respray
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:10 pm »
I think I was quoted around £4000 or so.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »
Ouch. Okay well that definitely isn't going to happen!  :fighting2:

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:23:52 pm »
wrap it in vinyl
Sig to big.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:32 pm »
How bad is it??

A full paint correction is an option.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:30:42 pm »
wrap it in vinyl      http://www.carwraping.com
Sig to big.

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:49 pm »
Interesting idea, what does a typical full wrap cost?

In terms of the current paint, it's been keyed by the filler cap, 10 inches, light scuff front/right bumper, the usual stone chips on the bonnet, and the rear bumper is tatty where someone has seemingly been too lazy to properly lift things out of the boot, so they have dragged continually across the rear bumper. I'm making it sound worse than it is, but the problem is it's spread across numerous panels which is why I was considering full respray. Last time I had a full respray was at least 15 years ago and cost me £850 cash in hand!!!  :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:17:00 pm »
A friend of mine is having the large majority of a MK1 TT done at Impact for £1800.

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:01 pm »
Wrap or respray?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:02 pm »
Respray

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:16:12 pm »
That's more like it. these guys?

http://www.impactrepaints.com/

thanks
ed

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »
That sounds scarily like my car, wonder if it was the same careless owner!  :grin:  literally a key mark in the lacquer under fuel filler, couple of stone chips, and lots of marks on the boot lip and I even had a chip under the boot handle where it had impacted something when opened!

I have done alot of touching up and polishing and it has made a good improvement they can still be seen by me but most others dont notice them, its obviously depends on your own preference but surely a full correction detail by a professional would be preferential to a full re-spray, it also wont affect re-sell value whereas personally I would wonder what a re-spray was trying to hide.  :drinking:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Edcase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »
That sounds scarily like my car, wonder if it was the same careless owner!  :grin:  literally a key mark in the lacquer under fuel filler, couple of stone chips, and lots of marks on the boot lip and I even had a chip under the boot handle where it had impacted something when opened!

I have done alot of touching up and polishing and it has made a good improvement they can still be seen by me but most others dont notice them, its obviously depends on your own preference but surely a full correction detail by a professional would be preferential to a full re-spray, it also wont affect re-sell value whereas personally I would wonder what a re-spray was trying to hide.  :drinking:

So what's involved with a full correction detail, Rich? Any reccommendations of who to speak to and what kind of money are we talking?

thanks
Ed

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »
That's more like it. these guys?

http://www.impactrepaints.com/

thanks
ed

No, they're in Brighouse in West Yorkshire.

http://bit.ly/hTg4jv

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »
Recomendations depends where your based, could be worth you checking out detailing world forum to track down someone on there.  We also have a couple of professional detailers on the forum JPC puts a lot of threads up of his work and its always looks amazing http://www.miglior.co.uk/ will give you an idea of what a detail can do to the condition of the car.  If the guys good they can generally correct most defects and swirls etc.

Cost is all dependant on the time and work involved but £400-500 up wards but less than £1500 to get a re-spray plus they will deep clean the rest of the car as well as protect it, worth looking into before you go and re-spray the whole car.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.