Make a donation

Author Topic: Climate Control  (Read 3340 times)

Offline doogs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Climate Control
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »
Hi, first post on this site and apologies if this has been done before. My GTI occasionally mists up within seconds preceded briefly by a stale smell. Its only now stays clear if i have the recirculation on. The auto/Econ button sometimes stay lit at the same time, i have no idea whats going on. i bought it from a Vw dealer 2 weeks ago, will this be covered on warranty? Thanks in advance.

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Climate Control
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56:54 pm »
Moisture and stale smell would point me at your cabin filter as first point of call, as that should be changed every two years.  I would then check if the pump is engaging properly as some of the original air con compressors are known to fail, or get the system re-gassed which also needs to be periodically done.

If they supplied the car with a warranty then it might be covered if its a physical fault, but cabin filter and re-gassing wont be covered but shouldnt be too expensive.

Also you mention you have econ button lit up, this switches the A/C off so press the button till light goes out if you want to use the aircon, by its very nature AC removes moisture from the air as cold air has less energy and can hold less moisture so this might explain your mist up issue and the stale smell can be normal but again cabin filter might help this, or giving the aircon a good run.  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline doogs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 03:04:37 pm »
Thanks, i will look into those, i'll throw it in to my local dealer with the hope of getting it done for free! It's just a bit worrying as when it goes i literally can see anything!!

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:44:47 pm »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline doogs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:36:49 pm »
Never heard of that canister before, definitely worth looking into, got the car booked in with Vw tomorrow so hopefully they will Suss it out, thanks for the help.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:50:54 am »
To be honest Doogs, as Rich said, first port of call would be the pollen filter. I'd keep away from dealers as much as possible really, and certainly for something as simple as a pollen filter I'd be inclined to do this myself first. If that doesn't work then by all means make an appointment (bet you can't tell I've had some pretty poor experiences at stealers can you ?  :laugh:)

Anyway, the pollen filter is a 2 minute job (see below)

Remove footwell trim -1- on front passenger side.
–   Remove baffle plate -2- from heater unit → Fig..
–   Release cover -3- in direction of arrow.
–   Remove dust and pollen filter from heater unit downwards.

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline doogs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 11:25:47 am »
I think i will give that a whirl first, i know this may sound like a stupid question but is the pollen filter in the passenger well of right hand drive cars, thanks, Doug

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:54:16 am »
Yes, just a reverse of the above picture.

There's a foam cover under the lower heater ducts  (under the glovebox), with 2 thumbscrews. Unscrew these and remove the foam liner. You will then see the pollen filter holder if you lie on your back and look up.

About a 10 minute job  :happy2:

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline doogs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:00:13 pm »
Great, thanks  :smiley:

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 05:29:15 pm »
I changed the pollen/cabin filter and used the Comma AC cleaner that is supposed to be pretty good but neither got rid of the smell of wet dog!

The only thing that got rid of the smell was a full AC service and re-gas, cost me £55.

Lee.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline doogs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:56 pm »
Thanks Lee, did you replace the filters at the same time?

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:01:34 pm »
I tried the filters first as thats what I was advised to do (and its cheaper!)

Had no joy there so I tried the Comma AC cleaner. It had good reveiws but after a couple of days the fresh smell wore off and I was back to the smell of stale dog!

:happy2:
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators