Make a donation

Author Topic: dealers/garages  (Read 910 times)

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
dealers/garages
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:46:19 pm »
Slightly confused,

I had an issue with an exhaust emission light showing on the dash a couple of weeks ago, had it checked at my local indi garage and although the light went out the error code was still logged in the computer so on his advice I decided it need a bit of attention from VW. So looking around there are a few garages close by:

Alan Day Southgate
Alan Day Hampstead
City Gate Colindale

I decided to call Alan Day Southgate as it was the closest only to be told the initial diagnostic would cost me £140... I did have to ask her to repeat this and then politely refused the booking slot.

Skipping the next Alan Day garage I called City Gate, initial diagnostic £29 they then called me back in the afternoon to tell me they had found a loose air intake hose and reconnected it solving the issue, as this only took the guy 10 mins to fix they only charged for the diagnostic even though I'm sure they could have charged an half hour... :happy2:

I guess my question is how can there be such a huge difference in quotes from what I class as two main VW dealers/garages?

Tim

Offline divweir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: dealers/garages
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:09:31 pm »
well done for not paying first price you know not to try them again
i thought they were all iaround 45 £  :indifferent:
Sig to big.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:20:36 pm »
My stealers were £90 + VAT a couple of years ago for diagnostic  :stupid:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:50:00 pm »
I phone my local VW stealer and enquired about the price for changing the driveshaft boot and was told £190 plus cost of boot ~ £25 so £210 - £215 all in, then phoned the VW dealer 30 mins away, and was told £150 all in, so went with £150 and when came to pay, "actually sir it was less than we thought, it is actually only £140" !! and what's more, both dealers are owned by inchcape, guess which one gets my business?

And the service reception girls at the cheaper garage are real hotties (sorry to female forum members) so added incentive, 25% less and very nice reception staff!!

I always phone around, actually the old motorworld VW on the iffley road in Oxford used to be even cheaper still, but has changed hands now, prices have shot up and I don't work in Oxford anymore (thank god, traffic was horrific)