Make a donation

Author Topic: dsg or manual  (Read 3665 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: dsg or manual
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »
As above, I'm really happy with the Dsg on mine but I have warranty and when this runs out I either get more warranty or sell it, there's no way I'm fixing any Dsg issues out of my own pocket  :sick:

Offline swine

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 12:28:38 pm »
 :happy2:

manual it is then, any other issues with the 2.0t

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 02:50:56 pm »
I forgot what the senior  tech said was the failure rate but 8% springs to mind is has ben a constant headache for VW , Mechatronics units are built then shipped to uk dealers as required.

He explained to  me they are very complicated and as common faults occur the part is re engineered so all new box benefit from the earlier failures , I think its rather strange SS mentions the later cars are worse ,I aint arguing because mine is June 08.

I am very happy with the new Mechatronics unit and the service by Caffyns  VW Portslade  was out standing !!!!! .

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »
I am not saying that DSG is shyte, not at all.

What I am saying is that after you have done the research into the known and seemly far too common issues, and looked at your circumstances (ie can you afford to repair IF it goes wrong, can you justify and mitigate the risk) then take the plunge.

As a minimum, I would want a warranty, and have it in writing that the DSG gearbox and Mech unit are well and truly covered.

To say that it will be problem free is a bold statement, and I fear that statement would be a dear pill to swallow should it exhibit problems.

In a couple of years time, I would wager that there will a glut of DSG VAG equipped cars, that owners will not repair, due to the DSG units required costing a meaty %age of the cars value.  Anyone to spend circa £900 on a £3K car?

Great tech, but until the reliability %age improves, it is great tech without a long term (beyond double figure years) sustainable future.  IMO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/7052786/DSG-gearbox-problem.html

Americans warranty...... Not 100% but a step in the right direction.

Volkswagen Group of America Announces Customer Service Program

HERNDON, Va., Aug. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (VWGoA) today announced it would initiate a new customer service program to address concerns raised by its customers with certain Direct Shift Gearboxes (DSG(®)) in Volkswagen and Audi models, and to affirm its confidence in the sophisticated technology represented by those components.

"Safety, customer satisfaction, quality and long-term reliability are top priorities at Volkswagen and Audi. We have been studying the symptoms customers have reported, and are working closely with the NHTSA," said Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO, VWGoA. "We listened to our customers' concerns, and are taking action to address them. We are focused on taking all the appropriate actions to ensure the complete satisfaction of our existing customers."

This new comprehensive service program affects a limited number of model years 2007-2009 Volkswagens and Audis. Covered models are the Volkswagen R32, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GTI, Eos, as well as Audi A3 and TT.

Some customers have reported transmission performance issues under certain driving conditions. This was due to a faulty component inside the Mechatronic unit within a limited production range. VWGoA will repair or replace the components in the transmissions of approximately 43,000 Volkswagens and 10,300 Audis at no charge to the vehicles' owners. Additionally, VWGoA will reimburse customers who have had this repaired at their own expense.

The company has begun increasing the parts supply to expedite this customer service program. As the parts become available, owners of the affected vehicles will be contacted to schedule an appointment at their dealer. The company will make loaner vehicles available at no charge.

In the meantime, owners who may have experienced problems with their transmissions are requested to contact their dealers or the Audi/Volkswagen toll-free customer service numbers (see below).

This new customer service program is unrelated to a voluntary safety recall that VWGoA announced August 20. Under that recall, VWGoA is replacing a faulty temperature sensor in a separate and smaller group of vehicles. (The earlier action addresses a potential for a faulty temperature sensor to cause the transmission to shift into neutral while the vehicle is being driven.)

The company will extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the DSG(® )transmissions affected by the customer service program and the voluntary safety recall. This extended warranty is for 10-years/100,000-miles, transferrable to subsequent owners.

VWGoA is confident these actions will address issues noted by owners of the affected Volkswagen and Audi models. The DSG(®) gearbox is an industry leading technology that combines the fuel economy of a manual gearshift with the automatic shifting capacity of an automatic transmission.

Customers who have questions or concerns should call the Volkswagen Loyalty Center at 1-800-444-8982 or the Audi Customer Relations Campaign Help Line at 1-800-253-AUDI (2834).

SOURCE Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:12:15 pm by stokeballoon »

Saint Steve

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 04:12:28 pm »
Its not only Vag  cars suffer, Porsche cars also suffer the same.

A friend of mine has just had to offload her Porsche carrera 4s with the same fault, only difference is it would set her back 4k !! :surprised: