Make a donation

Author Topic: Route advice from the southerners please  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Route advice from the southerners please
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:35 pm »
guys im heading from kent to plymouth on xmas eve.

I usually use the A303, but considering the current weather and the fact they are predicting snow for xmas eve as well im unsure weather to still go the A303 or go the M5/M4.

My thinking is the M5/M4 is more likely to have been cleared plus the A303 finishes in country lanes.  Plus if it does snow, the A303 being much further south might actually escape the snow.

I know Carl reckons the A303 but what do you guys reckon.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Re: Route advice from the southerners please
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:38:15 pm »
Difficult one, personally I would take the motorway as you know it will be clear from snow, though dependent on traffic

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »
I live 1/2 a mile away from the 303, beyond Ilminster you climb over the Blackdown hills towards Honiton, and if it is snowing, that is where you will come unstuck.

Beyond Homiton you are back on a dual carriageway.

For me it would be the Motorway.  Both have their risks, today the M5 was down to one lane for most of the day between Exeter and Bridgewater.

Edit - Or nip down the A303 to Ilminster and take the 4th exit on the Ilminster round-about, and use the A358 towards Taunton, you will then meet the M5 at Taunton at J25, then head south on the M5 towards Exeter and on to Guz.

ps You don't need to enter Taunton, the M5 is the correct side.

:xmaspresent:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »
very familiar with the A303. and the ilminister bypass is definitely an option for missing out the lanes.
Difficult one, personally I would take the motorway as you know it will be clear from snow, though dependent on traffic

This is the dilema i've got.  My initial thoughts are the motorways would be clear, but if that was the case why has there been carnage on every motorway this last month the moment it snows.

I acyually think im fooked either way :grin:.

Normally i use the 303 purely as its abit more entertaining than the motorway slo, but this time id rather not spend xmas on the hard shoulder.  I reckon im OK as long as im not stuck in traffic.  The tyres so far havent come unstuck in any of the snow we have had at all.