Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG and Snow  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: DSG and Snow
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 10:33:47 am »
As said put car into D and let it pull itself away. But on side roads or any icy surfaces where you may need to crawl along in 1st gear just push your gear selecter into manual mode and when your speed gets slow enough it will go into 1st gear.As far as ive seen in D it wont go lower than 2nd gear when slowing down or crawling.

If the engine is prepared to be in second I would leave it there as you always want to be in the highest gear possible to reduce chances of wheel spin, just a personal opinion though. were you using first for a particular reason?

Interesting Rich so they thread the eye the other way to the way they weave the rope so the unwinding rope fibres tighten the tow eye under strain.  :congrats:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 10:40:03 am »
Exactly!! Clever eh?  :happy2:

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 11:34:44 am »
As said put car into D and let it pull itself away. But on side roads or any icy surfaces where you may need to crawl along in 1st gear just push your gear selecter into manual mode and when your speed gets slow enough it will go into 1st gear.As far as ive seen in D it wont go lower than 2nd gear when slowing down or crawling.

If the engine is prepared to be in second I would leave it there as you always want to be in the highest gear possible to reduce chances of wheel spin, just a personal opinion though. were you using first for a particular reason?

Forgot to mention it was an icy slope i was driving down with a bend at the bottom, 2nd gear was a too fast for my liking and more chance of having to use the brakes which i was doing my best to avoid. :driver:
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 11:38:34 am »
I found that using M mode going down hill, you can select the best gear to brake the car with the engine!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 11:47:25 am »

Forgot to mention it was an icy slope i was driving down with a bend at the bottom, 2nd gear was a too fast for my liking and more chance of having to use the brakes which i was doing my best to avoid. :driver:

In that case completely agree with you then, use M and first  :grin:  as discussed in another thread with RR M mode and engine braking down hill is the way forward!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline stumk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 04:28:43 pm »
ESP off for me, definately if going up hill as you may get stuck due to the ESP reducing power to the wheels.  Other than that DSG has been spot on.

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 02:10:23 pm »
Well, been out today for the first time and the car was brilliant and the conditions are terrible.
Far better than any manual I have driven.
Well pleased.

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:49 am »
Mo, that's true, but you can, when travelling very slowly, override on the paddle shift down to first gear.

DSG in snow is great. Add winter tyres and it's nigh on unstoppable :grin:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)