Make a donation

Author Topic: AP Racing vs VW Racing Brakes  (Read 55146 times)

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
Re: AP Racing vs VW Racing Brakes
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 12:27:23 pm »
Bear in mind that I leave in France and that we both didn't want that I would have to come bake to solve an issue..
VWR should keep my car only to weeks, but as they had some delay with some parts, and where busy with their race business, I told them to take their time and that they could keep the car two more weeks.

I Emailed AP Racing and they told me that their Racing brakes kit weren't suitable for road use.

My concerne with AP Racing Road kit is:

1/ I need the S3 355x32 kit as like my Brembo the 328x28 should be a bit small. And I willl use S3 swivel.

2/ The price AP Racing is 1000€ more expensive than VWR ones. Brembo are even more expensive 1700€ more than VWR!!! :surprised:

3/The look (yet it can sound stupid) I want my car to look discreet (mod's are forbiden in France) And Black/Red peinted yellow badged AP Racing brakes are not the most discreet. While VWR can provide it in silver grey (close to OEM colour) and without any logo. My Brembo are silver grey and almost nobody notice them.

4/  After sale support.

I didn't have any after sale support in France from my dealer nor Brembo France after my brakes issues. Because after market brakes have no warranti, here. Except that I got a 10% discount on the new rotors and pads I had to bay. I lost 1000€!!!

And it will be the same with AP brakes

My issue came from the Brembo pads which are not suitable for heavy track use.
So it destroyed my rotors in 2 pads set and 10 000km.

Solution?!! Yellow Pagid RS29!!! :happy2:

I dont think it will be any worst with VWR.
About what I have read on this forum, they are very helpfull even with people living abroad.

VWR Brakes are provided with FERRODO DS2500 which are road pads and not suitable for track use.

I asked them if they can provide it with yellow Pagid RS29 pads. I'm waiting for the reply.

It seems that on track people meet issues with any brand of after market brahes kit. Brembo, AP Racing, Alcon, VWR, etc...

I'm sure know it mainly come from the use of no suitable (road)  pads.

I almost sort my problem out with Pagid pads. But still I think they are a little to small for a 300Hp car and track use. About what I understoud, bigger brakes handle heat better.

That said, I have one last question:

Does anybody would technically disadvise VW Racing brakes?
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 12:49:24 pm »
i love all this non proven brakes bollox  :booty:  these / my brakes vwr brakes have been proven on the race track by racing drivers not us track day lot so please only comment on something u know about and have driven and have used  :P trust me they work no matter how hard you push em but if you think they dont i am 100% sure a phone cal to vwr and a test drive in a car with these on will soon make u think twice about saying they dont work   :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »
If the AP Racing kit is not suitable for the road, then I see you having 2 choices. Although I'm sure when I looked for brakes, you could buy a road version of the 360/6-pot kit??

VWR kit or the 360mm/6-pot Alcon kit for the TT/S3 (as the normal 343/4-pot Golf kit I had won't fit S3 hubs).

Both are as far as I'm concerned excellent on road and track, both are used on race cars in the VWCup and a few of us have run both on the road for a long time with no issues.

The VWR kit is cheaper to buy, the Alcon kit is probably £500 more but has better pad choice. Replacement Alcon discs are around £500, most pads are £150-200. Alcon discs are known to last much longer than AP/Brembo, I don't know how they would compare to VWRs?

I also don't know how much pads and discs are for the VWR kit, maybe Matt could help?? I think then once you know how much they are going to cost you per year,  you are in a position to choose.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:57:24 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:51 pm »
MAT ED30,

I'm not sure I get it right.
Do you answer to my post?!

Because I never said at any time that VWR brakes don't work properly!!
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »
Thank's Tony,

I'm waiting for Matt answer for pads choice.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 01:30:08 pm »
MAT ED30,

I'm not sure I get it right.
Do you answer to my post?!

Because I never said at any time that VWR brakes don't work properly!!

no u did not but a few others did  :rolleye:

i am on the phone with vwr later today so will ask about pads  :happy2:

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 08:33:16 pm »
Did you get an answer on pads matt? I've been waiting for a reply to my e-mail!

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 08:41:32 pm »
No, still not.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 09:28:34 am »
i will be down at vwr this week so will get a full list of what can be had but i know ds2500 and 3000 are fitted to them

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 09:45:00 am »
ok got your info ds2500 ,ds3000,Mitex F2 and F4 but the pads are normal shape so should be plenty of choice out for them  :smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 11:02:48 am »
I'd have thought VWR/Caparo have copied one of the common AP/Alcon/Brembo pad shapes, a lot of them are all the same across the makes when you look into it.

Maybe see if you can get a part number for the pads and cross ref it.
Sideways yo!

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 12:37:45 pm »
I'm waiting for the Matt reply, he will tell me whether or not There is yellow Pagid RS29 compatible for the VWR brake kit, and the parts number.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »
Did you get a part number for the pads at all Matt?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 08:43:22 pm »
are u running the brakes on yours now Theo? i should be down with Mat on Friday so will get as much info as i can  :happy2:

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:38 pm »
Yeh i have the brakes on mine! Thanks  :happy2: