Make a donation

Author Topic: Show us your bike...  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Show us your bike...
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:35:04 pm »
Im after a mountain bike and just need some recommendations as im not up to date on the scene.

Looking at around £5-600 or maybe more if its justified. Full suspension preferred.

:drinking:

PS been looking at an Orbeo Radikal Flow 2011, any good?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:00:48 am by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
Re: Show us your bike...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:53:43 am »
To be honest £500-£600 is at the lower end of what a good quality hard tail will cost.  You're looking at a grand up for a good quality FS. 

Not that familiar with the bike you've posted but the components are all cheap so personally I'd avoid. 

If you're just starting out something like a Specialized Rockhopper or GT Avalance would be a good start.

If you're close to an Edinburgh Bicycle shop this is worth a look

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=11436&f_FullProductVersion=1&analyticsHelperTag_origin=email&analyticsHelperTag_group=offers

Otherwise plenty of good advice here

http://www.bikeradar.com/

You can get a full susser for £150 from argos but it will be an absolute heap of sh*t compared to a good quality hardtail.  As usual, you get what you pay for and at your budget you won't be getting a full susser thats worth getting.  Unless its second hand which is a good idea actually.

The Halfords carrera range isn't bad but choose the store with care as some of the bike depts are inept but there are some good ones around too.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:14 pm »
As a rule, under a £1000 for a full suspension bike will mean that the suspension & major components are not of the highest order. I'd recommend that if you want to buy new, stick to a hardtail. Go to your local newsie or WHSmith & buy What Mountain Bike. There's a section to the rear of the mag that is full of bike reviews at various price points. The Halfords range is generally more toward the "road bike that looks like a mountain bike" until you look at the Boardman range. They are good buys for the price. Take your time going through the magazine, but don't treat anything as gospel.

I think the best advice I can give is this: Go find your LBS (Local Bike Shop). Call in, ask questions, drink their tea, ask more questions. If they are friendly & helpful, you're onto a winner. It's all very well picking up a second hand sh*tter from fleabay, or a brand new bargain from t'interweb, but your LBS will look after you & your bike during ownership. They will stay late to fix your knackered derailleur on a Friday night cos you're off to Dalby Forest Saturday at sparrowfart. They take the time to go the extra mile (usually) & look after their customers. That extra £100 you paid for your £2k bike will be paid back in spades when they see you're a loyal customer. My LBS is brilliant, and so helpful it defies belief. Don't forget that your bike needs to fit you properly. This may involve changing contact points such as pedals, seat, stem, grips & so on. Your LBS will do this. The web superstore won't care less once your bike's delivered.

If you find your LBS sucks, or you don't have one, go web shopping. Otherwise, it's just like finding a place you know to look after your GTI.... :driver:

If you want more advice, pm me :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:47:43 pm by LouCyffer »
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline mattyw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:15:18 pm »
as already said for that money your better off going for a hardtail i've got a cube hardtail which are pretty light and well specced for the money,but use my full susser most of the time which is a lapierre zesty,other thing to look at is a single speed as there so basic nothing to go wrong with them,especially in the winter

would steer clear of boardman bikes,a bloke at works got one and broke loads of things on it,i think the frames are decent but poor components
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:18:15 pm by mattyw »

Nick S

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 12:22:44 pm »
Have a look at Merlin Cycles, their prices are pretty competitive on their "Malt" range of MTB's

Re the above posters comments the boardman stuff is fine as are the components its the people that put them together that are the problem.

Budget for a new chain and re-cabling of any bike you buy at halfords and a full service of the brakes

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:26:22 pm by Nick S »

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 12:32:12 pm »
Also consider

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ (2% Cashback via Quidco as well)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »
Nice friendly forums: Cycle Chat, Yet Another Cycling Forum (yacf). They'll probably tell you the same as above i.e. you need to spend more dosh for a full susser. I'd show you my MTB, but it's nearly 20 years old!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:20:32 pm »
Definitely look at Cube, for £600 you can get a decent Hardtail with better components that most of the competitors at the same price range.

Im about to order a new Cube Ltd Team through Cycle2Work and a Cube WLS Team for the wife.

http://www.cubecycles.co.uk

German made too! ;)

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:42:50 pm »
Not sure what you do for a living EDITION30 but it might be worth checking if your employer is in the ride2work or cyclescheme which is basically a means of getting a new bike tax free (upto £1k).  Your £1k can also include "safety equipment" which is meant to be helmet and lights but most dealers will let you select shoes, clothing and accessories.    A good looking bike helps as you'll want to ride it but the most important thing is fit.  If the bike doesn't fit you properly, it's going to end up injuring you.  Get sized up properly and test ride a few bikes you like the look of before you buy - it'll help you make your mind up which one's for you.  A mate of mine runs a bike shop and I know he'd be delighted to give you completely impartial advice if you need it.  Here's a link to his website and his name's Paul if you wanna give him a shout...  www.cultracing.com/

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »
Not sure what you do for a living EDITION30 but it might be worth checking if your employer is in the ride2work or cyclescheme which is basically a means of getting a new bike tax free (upto £1k).  Your £1k can also include "safety equipment" which is meant to be helmet and lights but most dealers will let you select shoes, clothing and accessories.    A good looking bike helps as you'll want to ride it but the most important thing is fit.  If the bike doesn't fit you properly, it's going to end up injuring you.  Get sized up properly and test ride a few bikes you like the look of before you buy - it'll help you make your mind up which one's for you.  A mate of mine runs a bike shop and I know he'd be delighted to give you completely impartial advice if you need it.  Here's a link to his website and his name's Paul if you wanna give him a shout...  www.cultracing.com/

I was at cult racing a couple of weeks back. First heard about them when they won the display in Touchwood.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »
Cheers for all the info  :drinking:

I will have a good scout around and report back, seems like hardtail is the way forward for my current price range.

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline dnLcal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:40:14 pm »
I'm a bit out of touch with MTBs now, (sold mine about 5 years ago) but the best place for info would be http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/

I'd have to agree on that budget you should be looking into hardtails. By the look of the bike you showed you are wanting to to XC, you can get yourself a fairly decent started HT for 500-600 that will cope with XC easily enough.

Also southerndownhill has a clasifieds so may be worth a look.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »
As everyone has said above mate, for that budget you should stick with a hardtail you cant go far wrong with a specialized or a scott, bomb proof bikes good value for money, its all ive ever ridden since i was a kid

Dnlcal - did u used to go on SDH? I reconise the name! I was frostybiker from there? Ring any bells?

Mitch

Offline sixpot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:03:26 pm »
Another recommendation for Cube. I got a LTD PRO through Cycle Scheme at work. It was reduced down to £753, and is by far the best bike I've owned.