Make a donation

Author Topic: Colour coding  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Colour coding
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »
I'm getting this done in the next few weeks so went to my local bodyshop. The guy there has not done colour coding on a golf before and hes a bit worried about a few things. He doesn't know if the colour will appear slightly differant when sprayed, he's also worried about stone chips and Also as to whether they should be sanded before spraying.

He's a nice chap and has done work for me in the past for other cars, I just think he wants to get it right. Is he being a bit paranoid?

Offline apollo13

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
Re: Colour coding
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:36:31 pm »
I'm getting this done in the next few weeks so went to my local bodyshop. The guy there has not done colour coding on a golf before and hes a bit worried about a few things. He doesn't know if the colour will appear slightly differant when sprayed, he's also worried about stone chips and Also as to whether they should be sanded before spraying.

He's a nice chap and has done work for me in the past for other cars, I just think he wants to get it right. Is he being a bit paranoid?

If I walked into your house and started fiddling with your fusebox saying 'do you think I should do X Y Z' would you let me do the job or get someone who knows what their on about???  :stupid:

That said if hes done work for you in the past and you were happy with the results then fair enough. Iv never had a problem with colours on smoothed plastic not matching and mine is a pearl. If your is silver thats another story as it is very hard to match.

As for the stone chips they would need to be sanded with wet and dry until you can't feel them.
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »
That's exactly what I thought!  :signLOL:

Like I said though he's  a great chap and he has done work in the past that was up to a high standard.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 05:16:43 pm »
when i had my skirts done, the guy flattened them, then used a plastic coat primer and then painted as normal. They were done 3 years ago this march and look perfect apart from a few stone chips in the wheel arch which i touch up with a touch up stick when needed.