Make a donation

Author Topic: Considering jumping on the 197 bandwagon....  (Read 4173 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Considering jumping on the 197 bandwagon....
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 10:24:16 pm »
Well I might consider it if he can give me the right price for mine. I won't actually be able to see the car though as its in another branch of their group so they would have to bring it over.

Lets see what Satuday brings...........

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline MitchGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »
Thats a nice car that, ive been looking at one exactly the same fully stacked tho xenons bluetooth ipod ect... There are only 500 made so are very rare! They do seem to hold money well! the one ive been looking at is 9.5k with 20k on clock at a dealer u can get the normal 197's for pennys tho....

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:55 am »
Love my 200. Such a great car. Done Nurburgring and Bedford Autodrome in it. The only thing it needs are some better brake pads and some sticky tyres. Neither of which i can afford at present.  :ashamed:

As Mike said, just turn up, rag it senseless. Job done. Doesnt need modding.

Mine has the Cup pack and i changed my wheels to some Team Dynamics pro race 1.2, as i didnt like the standard Gordini rims.

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2011, 10:32:21 am »
I do agree the 197 is better looking and the grey Recaros with matching rear bench are a whole lot better than my odd yellow affair...

You risk is - the R27 is on the face of it £2k more than an equivalent 197 FF with cup chassis and the same options. The only thing bolstering that price is the fact it is rare in so much as it has a plaque and some stickers, you can buy exactly the same spec normal 197 which will be newer and cheaper.

Now we all know some things carry money for being rare, 25th Anniversary Golfs for example, the Clio 182 Trophy. These all have something different about them though. All Renaults heavily depreciate, if your R27 suddenly only starts commanding another £500 for its rarity, you stand to lose a lot more than on the same loaded 197.

The 197 is a great car, the 200 is just an evolution of it ironing out some flaws. Some of these you can address, but some you may find annoying.

The handling is crashy, still better than virtually every other hot hatch mind! A 2nd hand set of KW V1s or other will see that sorted straight away.
The steering feels a little dull as the 'rack is so long lock to lock, tightening up the suspension aids this.
At 70MPH you'll be screaming along at 4000RPM.. not a lot you can do about this, other than get a 200's 'box.
Sideways yo!