Make a donation

Author Topic: Warning to those that dont declare mods to insurance  (Read 44551 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: Warning to those that dont declare mods to insurance
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:48 pm »
Admiral = Elephant

Be careful with them.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
  • Build it.. don't buy it!!
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2011, 01:19:52 pm »
Well I've paid for my Revo remap but haven't had it loaded yet due to having a ECU check sum error. Got in there while it was £400 not £500!!  So going to be giving the insurance company a ring tonight to see how much more its going to cost! Paid £2000 for my 1st year and £1300 for this year. I'm 22 so really hoping I dont get raped for it!!  :surprised:

Get yourself some good lube else it's gonna hurt  :signLOL:

Lol!! Cheers for the advice!
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »
Why don't you try Adrian Flux? :happy2:

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »

I don't think that you need to be a rocket scientist to have realised that forum sponsored insurance companies will be assessing the clients via their postings.

The problem was the insurer canceled policy based on a single post failed to notify the client but kept taking the monthly payments which is just wrong on all counts really

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2011, 01:27:01 pm »
In that case the client would still be insured surely :confused:

That would make an interesting road side discussion with the fuhrer and subsequent court appearance.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2011, 01:28:07 pm »
I know someone who tried to be a smartarse and run a heavily modded car on a straight policy. They found out via a forum, cancelled his policy and pretty much blacklisted him in the insurance market as a fraudster.

Nobody is legally bound to insure you, I can see blacklisting being more common soon enough.
Sideways yo!

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
  • Build it.. don't buy it!!
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2011, 01:28:48 pm »

I would do but, Im not really in there good books, because of this...

Car was only third party but the price of the lamp post I took out on the motorway was £4000
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

That would make an interesting road side discussion with the fuhrer and subsequent court appearance.

Client found out had no policy when pulled by police.  And that is still on going

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2011, 01:31:17 pm »
I know someone who tried to be a smartarse and run a heavily modded car on a straight policy. They found out via a forum, cancelled his policy and pretty much blacklisted him in the insurance market as a fraudster.

Nobody is legally bound to insure you, I can see blacklisting being more common soon enough.

Whilst i can understand the rationale behind that i would suggest that will only cause more of a problem. There are enough people on the roads already with no insurance or paying for insurance that is void due to undeclared mods. It wouldn't stop them driving

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2011, 01:31:59 pm »

Car was only third party but the price of the lamp post I took out on the motorway was £4000

Surely a bit of T-Cut and Superglue would have fixed that :signLOL:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 01:32:48 pm »
Client found out had no policy when pulled by police.  And that is still on going

Will be interesting to know the outcome!

Offline Pablos007

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

I hope you had declared the foliage mods???  :wink:

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2011, 01:36:38 pm »

I hope you had declared the foliage mods???  :wink:

I've never seen a "Camo" tick box on the modification list before lol
Ant

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2011, 01:38:50 pm »
You often get insurance companies saying factory fit options are modifications.
Any change to the car from when it came out of the factory is a modification. Even if you had a GTI with Monzas and decided to go for Pescaras - that's a modification, hence needs to be declared. Ditto for changing halogen headlamps to oem xenons. I heard about one guy getting his insurance voided because there was a sticker - a sticker on the car!

The problem was the insurer canceled policy based on a single post failed to notify the client but kept taking the monthly payments which is just wrong on all counts really
But when you take out a policy, you're meant to pay it off as a lump sum. Eg if your insurance policy for the twelve months comes to £1200, you can pay it off in one go, or you can pay it off in monthly amounts. The latter is essentially financing your premium (which is why the total amount paid would then come to more than £1200).

Imagine you took out a policy for £1200. You paid it off as a lump sum. You then fail to declare say tinted windows. Insurance company finds out five months into the policy and voids your insurance. They don't have to pay you back the remaining seven months' worth of insurance. This doesn't change when you go to monthly payments - you still have to pay off the premium.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2011, 01:41:16 pm »

Whilst i can understand the rationale behind that i would suggest that will only cause more of a problem. There are enough people on the roads already with no insurance or paying for insurance that is void due to undeclared mods. It wouldn't stop them driving

I see the wider implications, but that's not the insurance company's problem, that belongs to the law.

What would be there problem is him wiping out some city banker in his prime with a few kids and the several million pounds they'd have to pay out.. Every insurance company has the right to sue the policy holder for the money they've paid in a 3rd party claim if they deem the terms of the agreement to have been knowlingly broken.

So, insurer pays out £5m. Insurer finds out you'd been telling porkies. Insurer sues customer and wins (there's been several high profile cases recently and a precedent has been set).

= Customer's life ruined. They'll take every penny you have and will ever earn.. all for the sake of £50 to declare X, Y or Z.
Sideways yo!